“OK food. There is an attitude problem with the staff” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bistrot du Boeuf Rouge

Bistrot du Boeuf Rouge
Ranked #4 of 1,668 Restaurants in Geneva
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Geneva, Switzerland
“OK food. There is an attitude problem with the staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

Food seems to be reasonably priced and the place is popular so they must be doing something right, but the attitude of the staff left me puzzled. The service left a very bad taste in my mouth literally. A long hair (surely not mine since I have very short hair) appeared in my dish and the waiter did everything to put the blame on me. Not only was there no intent to apologize and resolve the problem, but on the contrary I was informed that this particular problem had appeared for the first time ever in the annals of the storied history of the restaurant. The next question which did leave me flabbergasted was whether I wanted to continue eating the offending dish or should the plate be taken away. The dish was not replaced and when I complained to the manager - he offered to bring back the very same dish. A surrealistic experience to say the least. As mentioned, the restaurant is popular but if this attitude problem continues then surely not for long. I cannot recommend going to this restaurant in good conscience.

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank GDSK

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
“Great food but not much else”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

Went here with my girlfriend. We are a Swedish/Brazilian couple. Went because of the proximity to our hotel and the good reviews here. I must say the food was great but the place itself is pretty old and tacky. Our waiter forget our wine order twice and he didn't even speak English. My girlfriend absolutely hated the place and couldn't believe I had brought her to this place on a Friday night.
Guess it could be ok for a lunch but not a Friday night dinner with your girl.
Little bit on the pricey side as well. Dinner for two and a glass of wine for £100.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank christian_saopaulo
Oslo, Norway
“Good food, great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

Went with my wife for dinner. A very casual place (no need to get dressed up) with lots of locals.

Positive:
- Very good service
- Excellent main course (salt roasted lamb) and dessert (lemon-meringue pie)
- Cozy atmosphere

No real negatives except that our starters were average.

I will definatly go back.

• Visited October 2013
Geneva, Switzerland
“Once again, TripAdvisor is right”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

I started using TripAdvisor to find good restaurant recommendations, and have been having a lot of great meals ever since! Last night was no exception.
We arrived at 8.30 pm to be told there's a problem with our reservation (I had changed the day and they had forgotten to write the change in their register). The waiter that welcomed us was very apologetic and courteous and suggested we wait over complimentary aperitifs for a table to become available (they had one that was having dessert). We accepted and did not regret it.
When we were finally seated we ordered one of the items on the blackboard menu (they had a printed menu and a blackboard with a few dishes that were the day's specialty), rack of lamb baked in salt, for 2.
Even though our order was taken by a waitress (the table was probably in her area), the waiter that initially welcomed us came back from time to time to check whether everything was ok. One such time was when he came to make sure we had been told that the lamb would take about 25 minutes to cook. Taking into account our initial wait, he was worried we'd be starved and offered us some entrees. As we weren't that hungry, we decided to wait for the lamb. A good decision, as the portions turned out to be quite generous! The waiters were very nice and kept us updated on how much longer we'd have to wait, and just as we were beginning to regret declining the entrees, our lamb finally came.
The waiter took it out of its salt crust and assembled our plates on a serving table nearby. Each portion consisted of about 4-5 pieces of beautifully cooked lamb (medium-rare) and a variety of vegetables (green beans, roasted tomatoes, mixed vegetables au vapeur). Separately we also had potatoes dauphinoise and gravy. Everything was delicious (even the green beans, which I normally don't find anything special)! My friend and I both loved it!
Overall, we had a great evening thanks to both the food and the attentive service we received. The waiter managed to turn what could have been a frustrating experience into a great one! I will definitely go back.

1 Thank andreea_sam
Haarlem, The Netherlands
“If you think...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

If you think a salsa is a dance, fusion is something that goes on in nuclear reactors, molecules are best left to biologists and coulis are simply pretentious then head to this restaurant for delightfully traditional food. The meal began with an outstanding homemade terrine, continued with some of the best game I have ever eaten and finished with a perfect parfait. It proves to all chefs that hard graft and high quality ingredients are enough to succeed and are always preferable to new fangled experiments.

• Visited October 2013