“The vitriol in some previous reviews (2011) must come from the 'guests from hell'.”

Residence Cite-Verdaine
Ranked #75 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

My wife and I (senior citizens), my son and 9-year-old grandson have just spent four days in this aparthotel while on our first visit to family in Geneva. We would have no hesitation in returning, and will when the occasion arises. For a short stay visit, it is well located, steps from the Old Town, the rooms we had were adequate to our needs and acceptable, the lady on duty on the reception could not have been friendlier or more helpful, it is close to shopping, and minutes from bus routes, including to the airport. Street noise seemed to end by midnight, but street cleaning was sometimes intrusive at about 7.a.m - minimised by wooden shutters for light sleepers. This is not a full service hotel, so be aware. There is no full time concierge service, no bar, no restaurant - these were just steps away - but rooms were tended every second day, not that we required must attention. There is limited English-language TV which might be a downer for some long-stay guests who prefer their entertainment 'canned'. The weather was very hot during part of our stay, but what the hell, we didn't expect air condition and an open window is always available. Some of the denigrators in previous reviews appear to be business people, paid for by their companies and, consequently, inherently spoiled. There is no way this place qualifies for a 'terrible' rating. For anyone going on a short stay to this lovely city, who is flexible and who wants a convenient location, modest but reasonable accommodation and to be able to make breakfast or a cup of tea or a snack in their room between sightseeing, this ticks a lot of boxes. If you are picky,cantankerous, hard to please or used to corporate cosseting, and can afford it, try somewhere like the nearby Four Seasons.

Room Tip: The room we had overlooked a street leading to the old town, there was some traffic noise morning an...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Takoma Park, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

I stayed at Cite-Verdaine for 8 nights in January 2014 when I was in Geneva for work. It's in a great location at the edge of Old Town, within 1-2 blocks of major bus and tram routes and within 5 blocks of major stores, including a supermarket. I was on the top floor which was quiet but sacrificed some space because of the sloping eves of the ceiling--not great for a tall person. The room was quite small but this isn't unusual in Geneva (at least in the more reasonable price range for hotels) and it had some charm to it with lots of light, windows, a little alcove, and a tiny kitchenette. As others have mentioned, the reception area is only open part time in the morning and mid-late afternoon. That said, I was so impressed by the excellent service provided by Kristel, who was hugely helpful in trying to find my suitcase, which the airline had lost. She offered to help, then followed through with several phone calls and even a fax. For a morning conference call on the day I arrived, she offered to find me a quiet place from which to make the call. This was so much more than I expected and have received at other hotels where I've stayed in the past near the Cornavin train station. I'd recommend the Cite Verdaine as a nice alternative to those hotels if you'd like to be in a great neighborhood, near the shopping but not the noise, and if you'd like the option of having a kitchenette.

Room Tip: For quiet, stay on the side that doesn't face
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank RFDD2013
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

I am amazed to read so many complaints here...but I see they are all rather old. I moved here yesterday from another hotel which has paper-thin walls and lousy - but dear! - wifi. The young woman in the office here was totally charming and helpful, I have a very fine corner room, and the wifi is excellent. There is a bit of noise of people moving about from above, late at night, but as a person who lives alone I realise I am more fussy than most people. Tea and coffee were provided soon after I arrived - and the staff even found a selection of electrical plug adapters for me to borrow... I have no complaints and recommend this place highly!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JayeffSydney
Telford, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed here for 3 months this summer and early fall (June-Sept). The location is terrific- right at the edge of Old Town, 5 minute walk to the lake, 1 block to trams, tons of shopping. Yes, the rooms are small and hot (there were a couple of heat waves this summer in Geneva), but very clean (maid service twice a week) and comfortable. The kitchenette is adequate and convenient because the grocery store (Coop) is only several blocks away. Two more pluses are a transit pass and laundry service which is probably cheaper and much easier than schlepping to the laundromat (not close). The hotel manager, Kristel, is just lovely and was very friendly and responsive to all requests. She is very serious about making this a wonderful place to stay for visitors to Geneva and I think she is succeeding. Fresh flowers in the lobby every day!!

Room Tip: Get,one that is on side street or facing back courtyard, higher floors
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Nancy P
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

A comfortable enough place to stay in a great location, close to shops and the lake. Staff were very friendly and helpful.
Kitchenette very basic, but great to have a sink, small fridge, microwave and some crockery and utensils. Not ideal for cooking much, other than microwave meals. No oven, just a cook top. A shame they didn't provide a jug or toaster. After being here for a few days, the cleaning staff asked if I wanted to use a toaster. So have a toaster now, but no jug. If you want a cup of tea or coffee, you will need to heat water in microwave or boil on small cook top.
Bed was not very comfortable the first night. Found it quite hard, but I'm getting used to it and seem to be sleeping well now.
We arrived very late, so had to be given a code to enter and make our own way to room on arrival. (Key to room, etc. was left for us at reception.) We didn't have any milk left for us in the fridge, which would've been nice. Of course, it was so late when we arrived, we were unable to go and buy any milk either. No tea or coffee provided, so we would've had to buy those supplies as well.
Basic soap and shower gel left in bathroom. No tissues.
A shame that studio is only serviced twice a week, but cleaning staff have been very nice (maybe because we have a young baby) and have given us plenty of fresh towels and will provide daily if required. Cleaning staff also said they would clear our rubbish daily. (Great that we don't have to smell the nappies for too long!)
Not sure if I would stay here again, but I compared to another hotel close by and it was more expensive and quite dark. The room was also smaller at the other hotel. It did include breakfast and was serviced daily, but I guess it depends what you are after.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Cathy B
Zug
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

Stayed 1 1/2 months. Location is very well with also good access to public transport. Room with small kitchen (in a closet). Bed crashed several times and until fixed took more than 2 weeks. Staff very unfriendly and arrogant. Is only cleaned every second day. Room decoration very poor and old. If location is an issue, Even after having turned off the heating completely it was still too hot in the room. Stayed on the first floor above the entrance, and noise from the street is also an issue. OK. If not, better to stay at some other place (albeit knowing that there are not too many options in Genève).

Room Tip: Believe that all rooms are more or less the same. Would try to get a room in the upper floors, mainl...
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Pete7_Zug

Travelers are raving about these Geneva hotels

Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

When I was initially told I was being sent to Geneva for 3 weeks and booked into Cite Verdaine, I naturally did some research and was horrified by the write-ups. I decided to turn up and see for myself, with the intention of forcing my company to move me if it was as bad as had been stated.

I found the staff to be a lot easier to converse with than I had thought and a few small matters were dealt with quickly and efficiently. The room I stayed in was small, but clean and recently decorated. A potential downside for long-stayers, is the lack of the following...
a). decent English speaking TV, BBC Entertainment, CNBC and CNN is all you get.
b). a decent bed, they seem new but appear to have been bought because they look good and were within a restrained budget, i.e. they are not comfortable at all.
c). no "break out" area, i.e. somewhere to sit in a nice comfy armchair and read a book or newspaper. There is nowhere are apart from your room and space in that is verylimited.

Overall, it was not at all like I had previously read, however, there appears to still be a certain air of badness lingering. I was booked into a Studio Room and presneted with a letter confirming this on my arrival. As I arrived whilst the reception was closed (yes, it is a part time arrangment) this letter and my key were left in reception. However, on my confirmation from the hotel, I had the price but not the type of room and the price quoted was CHF3,500/-. A quick check of the website told me that this paid for a Standard Studio and not one of the small ones.

What room was I given ? The small studio type.
What price did I have to pay ? The full amount quoted on my reservation letter.

OK, so the hotel made an aditional CHF750/- to CHF950/- from my company, but after my feedback, they will not be using this place again. So short-sighted by the management to believe that foreigners are stupid and can be ripped off !!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business