I have stayed in this hotel many times over the past 13 years. It is the one my company has a contract with so I do not have a choice, either this one or one at the airport, and I prefer to be down town. Also you get the "Genève Transport Card" which gives you free travel within Genève on the trains, buses and trams. Commuting to and from the airport, where most of my meetings are held, is easy and free.
The hotel is pleasant enough, as are the staff. However, there are always areas for improvement. The shower in my room (435) was pitiful, small head and no power! The towels are more like tea towels, thin, and even a little too small for my liking.
Something I am going to complain about everywhere, except apparently in China, is: When are hotels going to fit "universal power sockets" in their rooms?!!? 21st century, and we are still running around with adapters! I know they exist, just check out http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Outlet-Socket-Single-Switch/dp/B00CWAFNUS/ref=sr_1_4?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1380096106&sr=1-4&keywords=Universal+wall+socket
Breakfast is ok, the typical buffet, with a small selection of hot and cold. Nothing to shout about.
Now supper was another thing.
Started with a Jim Beam and ginger ale, which as it should came with some nibbles, peanuts:-)
Went for the "2 course formula" for CHF49 and chose main course and desert (add a CHF3 supplement for the beef fillet).
They brought a couple of small, but nice, bread roles with some butter (in plastic tubs, not so nice).
The Beef Filet with sea salt, served with a "vegetable hotchpotch" (asparagus, mangtout, baby broad beans, mushrooms) was excellent. Cooked to perfection, just as I asked, and the vegetables were also perfectly done, not too mushy and not too raw. The mushroom sauce, that came separately, was a nice touch, and gave a lovely creamy accompaniment, to the meat, although I must say the meat did not need it as it tasted great also on its own.
Downed it all with a glass of red "Genève AOC, Chouilly Pinot noir Le Crêt 2012", which when first tasted, after the JB & Ginger, was a shock to the taste buds. This could also have been due to the fact that the waitress had just opened the bottle. However, afterwards the wine went down beautifully with the meat.
Desert was the "Strawberry cake and typical Swiss double-cream ice cream". Funny little concoction, but very nice. You definitely notice the "double-cream" in the ice cream.
Finished it all off with a vervain tea.
Final bill 71.50chf. (17.50 for the JB & ginger, €5 for the vervain). Not the most economical of meals, I have had the same for less, but then Switzerland is not the cheapest of places anyway.
Talking about expensive, what is really extortionate is the price the hotel charges for video films on demand, CHF25 !!! At that price it is cheaper to go online and buy the movie from iTunes!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Novotel Geneve Centre is a 4 star hotel located in the heart of Geneva, close to Lake Geneva and 15 minutes from the UN headquarters. The hotel features 206 rooms, a restaurant, bar and 6 meeting rooms for conferences and seminars. This 4 star hotel is equally suited to business trips and holidays with your partner or family. In addition to the fitness centre and spa, with relaxation room, hammam, sauna, solarium and massage room, guests enjoy free public transport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Novotel Geneve Centre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Novotel Geneve Centre Hotel Geneva
- Novotel Hotel Geneva
- Novotel Hotel Geneve Centre
- Novotel Geneva
- Geneva Novotel