“Reasonable price and good location”
Review of Excelsior

Excelsior
Ranked #62 of 105 Hotels in Geneva
Perth, Australia
“Reasonable price and good location”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

The hotel is a short walk from the train station and it's cheap to take a train from the airport straight to the main station. The receptionist wasn't overly friendly or helpful when we arrived and told us we just had to use the internet to find information on tours and trains etc I had previously emailed a few times asking for information and help with booking something but received no response to any of my emails.
The room was quite average although this was a cheaper hotel in Geneva so wasn't expecting amazing accommodation. The shower however was mouldy which was a bit off putting. The room was small but no smaller than the average small room in Europe.
There is no air conditioning in rooms so on a warm night is quite uncomfortable. You can sleep with the window open but this lets a bit of noise in. We found leaving the window open all day while we were out made it somewhat cooler but it was still very warm,
There is a large department store over the road which has a fabulous supermarket at the bottom which is great for picking up water, drinks or anything you need. 10 minute walk to the flower clock and 20 to the fountain so location was really good.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Greek first
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed May 27, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Excelsior hotel for 4 nights just recently. The hotel is excellent value compared to other overpriced options. We were kindly upgraded to a very spacious superior room on arrival. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel is within walking distance to most key sites, the lake and close to the station. In short, if you want value for money, Excelsior deserves your serious consideration. If I come back to Geneva, this hotel will be top of my list.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JJJLUK
Jackson, Wyoming
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I stayed here for two nights over a weekend in April while traveling back from the French alps after a ski trip. I found this hidden gem and booked a room for two nights on another website (and saved a significant amount of money: my bill for two nights was $190 versus the 300 chf I saw on a notice in the room so book through an online service for a significant discount). It is a short five minute walk from the central train station, bus station, and the Lake Geneva. There are several bars and restaurants nearby and there is a large department store called Manor across the street with an excellent food department so you could certainly go there and buy groceries instead of paying a premium for restaurants. My room had a balcony but it was unusable as the metal shutters were locked in place with a 30 inch gap open at the bottom (room 57 by the by). Thankfully the glass door opened so I could get some fresh air in the room. Geneva was quite hot during my visit with temps of around 20 celsius and there was no fan or central air in the hotel so the only way to cool off the room at night was to leave my door to the hall ajar so I could get a breeze. I did shut it before going to bed though. Some vent in the hallway door or a fan in the room would have been greatly appreciated. The room also came with a free Geneva public transport pass for the duration of my stay so all buses, trains, and water taxis were free (excellent for exploring the city). The room was spartan but spotless with just the right amount of furniture. The bed was very comfortable despite being on the small size for a single bed. The breakfast was limited (no hot food except for an egg cooker and a toaster) but excellent. The staff was courteous, kind, and well informed. Aside from the metal shutters not being functional and the limited ventilation, this is an excellent hotel if you plan to spend only a few days in Geneva. If I have the chance to return to Geneva this hotel will be my first choice.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the upper floors facing the interior area and away from the stairs and elevator.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Bill F
South of England
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I booked two rooms through Booking.com. The Excelsior cancelled my booking because they had a problem in getting the funds from my company credit card (which was, and is, valid). They told Booking.com, who sent a message - which I did not spot - saying that my booking had been "changed". The hotel did not have the courtesy to contact me or tell me personally what they had done, despite the fact they had my contact details and I had stayed three or four times in the past.

I use the Booking.com app, and the confirmation on that was not changed. I turned up late in the evening with a colleague and a valid confirmation on my app to be told that my booking had been cancelled and there were no rooms available for us. The hotel was unable to make any alternative arrangements for us, and Booking.com had not called back with a suggestion in 15 minutes.

They did apologise and give us the free bus tickets that we would have had if our booking had been honoured, but I was left in a very difficult and embarrassing situation. We did find rooms in the end, but we had to go to France to use them.

Room Tip: Book direct and check they have not cancelled your reservation.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank MrOrganist

Travelers are raving about these Geneva hotels

London
Reviewed March 23, 2014

The room was small but adequate and clean, and somewhat nicer than some of the other 'affordable' hotels around the area, The breakfast was ok too. Reception staff very helpful with advice in where to take dinner. Location good, close to the station but not on the main road. A few minutes walk from the lake.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Paris, France
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Location is good as it's next to the train station and bus stop bringing you to the airport.
Plenty of choice for breakfast.
The bed and pillow are new and very comfortable. The room is quite big and the bathroom was clean.
All was great except room was on the road side and there are some bars around so we couldn't sleep so well.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room not on the road side
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Richmond, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I stayed here for on night in late February. I arrived about 7pm and needed to leave about mid-day the following day, so the unusually late check-out time of mid-day was perfect for me.

Right from the moment I arrived, the staff behind the reception desk could not have been more helpful. Check-in was swift and I was given a wifi password, a travel ticket for the city transport network and a map of the city. The reception staff were also able to print my boarding passes for my flights the following day, checked on train times and recommended places I could go for an evening meal.

I was pleasnatly surprised by my room. I had booked a single room and after reading reviews on this site I was expecting it to be tiny, however it was a good size and the single bed was comfortable. The room and bathroom were clean, well decorated and warm. The only complaint I have is that there was quite a bit of noise from both inside and outside the hotel during the late evening and early morning.

Breakfast was a good selection and there was English tea available! After breakfast the gentleman behind the front desk gave me some guidance about where to explore in the morning that I had available, and when I returned he asked me how my morning had been.

The hotel was in a great location, ideally placed for the lake, the old town and the railway station. I will certainly stay there again, next time I am in Geneva.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business