“Worse than hostel dirty”
Review of Residence St James

Residence St James
Ranked #83 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Terrible for me and husband. Old furniture, bathroom dirty, air con not working in summer and noise from main road when window open for fresh air. Staff unhelpful. Stayed one night then had to leave. Lido close and better.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank tiajs

Reviewed September 30, 2012

The location of this hotel is great, it's in the city center if Geneva and just two minutes walk from the lake, the room size is big and rooms are well equipped, staff are too friendly and helpful.

The only issue with this hotel that's it's old and need to be renew.

I recommend it for every one but select the large studios.

Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Excellent location, right in the center of Geneva, across the lake Leman.
In Switzerland, the food is expensive, so the possibility of having a kitchentertte is excellent, but cleaning is not very good. The rooms facing the main street are very noisy: the windows do not have good insulation. The carpets are very dirty; need to be replaced. The internet is free. The staff is friendly.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Isabel M
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Location is superb, a block from the lake, a block from tram and bus lines, 10 minutes walk from the train station. Small kitchenette, everything needed for meals if you desired. Good wifi and hot water. The staff is friendly but english is not their second language, at least none that I met. The room was clean but small, and reasonably quiet for being on a busy street. Bathroom needed a good scrub to attack the mold on the shower walls. All in all, glad I stayed here for my business trip.

Room Tip: Higher floors will have less noise, or try to get one of the rooms at the back (X6 and X7). Noise wa...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Dalton_traveler
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Firstly the positives - the location is fabulous, the hotel is clean, we had a massive TV and the staff are friendly and helpful and it is cheap for Geneva. But, this is the kind of place you book if you don't want to spend much time in the hotel.
We booked a room for 2 and we got a bedsit / apartment with 5 single beds. The decoration is very dated and we had a small kitchen which had a filthy oven which I refused to use.
The bathroom was small and cramped and the ceiling was covered in mould. The wardrobes were a bit manky, so I decided to fold my clothes on a shelf next to the bed instead. There was a random sofa by the beds which had no room to sit on because it was so close to the bed. There was no safe and the flimsy door meant I was worried that someone could break in easily, so I took my valuables out with me.
From the exterior it looks like a beautiful hotel, but inside it was more like apartments than a hotel, and I think there were people living in some of the other rooms. Perhaps we had particularly noisy neighbours, but we could hear all their conversations and my friend was awoken every night by the noise they made.
But, if you want somewhere cheap and close to the sights and centre of Geneva, then this is a decent option for what you pay.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Eirianwen
Reviewed April 10, 2012

My husband and I were very satisfied with this hotel. It was very cheap comparing to other hotels in the city and location is great. Small kitchen in the room allows you to cook and it's fully equipped. There are 2 supermarkets just round the corner,turn left from the hotel and then second left again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I never write reviews but i have to on this place... it was so bad. Location was good and the receptionist was pleasant but it's really out of date, noise all night - I think our neighbors were Nigerian rappers. Iraqi flag hanging from the window along with other residence's laundry. I think I heard the police in the hallway last night. We only stayed one night - on to another hotel.

Don't book this place.