“don't do it!”

Ranked #81 of 105 Hotels in Geneva
Fez, Figuig, Morocco
“don't do it!”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I never write reviews but i have to on this place... it was so bad. Location was good and the receptionist was pleasant but it's really out of date, noise all night - I think our neighbors were Nigerian rappers. Iraqi flag hanging from the window along with other residence's laundry. I think I heard the police in the hallway last night. We only stayed one night - on to another hotel.

Don't book this place.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Jim H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Korean first
Amsterdam
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Being a stop-off for 2 nights of our little tour in Switzerland we choose the St James Residence after several days of internet research.

Perfect location and very easy to find, no problem for us to find the residence, thru Geneve’s not so simple street network. Very convenient if you go there by car, but we saw that a train station is at walking distances. Right next to a small but nice park, the port where you can take the Muettes Genovoises (the boats) to the other part of the lake. The beautiful lake promenade at one block distance, close to the historical center and the “English gardens”, I don’t know what more can you possible ask for a position.

Structured as a residence, we found the loft with a little studio and kitchen with all the amenities necessary even for longer stay. The room was more than decent, arranged in a classical manner, very functional, with a slight swiss urban traditional style. The interiors are not new, but they are very well maintained.
Helpfull and flexible staff, very receptive and communicative.

After 2 days that we stayed there I have to say that the choise was a perfect one, we did not left with disappointments or bad impressions and in the end, that’s what’s really matter.
There were some minor things that could been considered problems, but only if you can not see or understand the differences between the “residence” and “hotel” concepts.
Also, some may argue a little regarding the prices, but it would mean that we aren’t realistic: Geneva is NOT a cheap city, so if you search for cheap bargains, well, may be that Geneva is not the right place…

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dacian72
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Reading these reviews I am wondering if I am truely at the same place. Perhaps it's my time backpacking or maybe I'm just not as fussy as the other reviewers. That said I have stayed at my fair share of 4 and 5 star places so Im not totally naive to luxury either.

People really what do you expect - it's one of the cheapest hotels in geneva (which in case your not aware is a bloody expensive place). As such don't expect bell boys and gold embroidery. However this place does the job just fine.

Positives
Excellent location, spacious room (well it's an apartment really), cheap. The kitchen (fridge, cooker, microwave, kettle plus all needed utensils) makes it a little home from home and allows you to save big bucks preparing food from home. The bathroom is serviceable and free wifi seems to work fine.

Negatives
It's got outdated decor, you have to cross your fingers with the neighbours (the Walls are not paper thin but if they have a party next door you would know!), and could feel a little cleaner but is plenty serviceable.

Overall
If your on business, have trouble sleeping or are fussy then don't come here. If you want to save money, have an apartment rather than hotel room only and have ever been backpacking off any track (and know how grotty hotels can really get) then you will be pleasantly surprised.

Personally this place has met my needs perfectly hence the 4 star rating (not 5 star as not blown away). Perfect for my budget.

• Stayed February 2012
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I did not mind the fact that the room was very old. This was shown on the pictures on the website.

What I did mind was the fact that the shower was broken (and not fixed after I had contacted / complained the reception) the heather was on a non-movable 30 degrees, there were hairs in the bathroom, the bed was not a real bed but a fold out and the fact that it was so noisy that I could hear the neighbours above, below and from the side. I left the hotel after 2 horrible days without sleep or shower.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Trinity001

Travelers are raving about these Geneva hotels

Brazil
Reviewed January 16, 2012

The hotel has a good location, the staff is helpful, but is a bit dangerous. You can find hooker in the elevator or listen screaming during the night. I will not come back to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank BrazilTourist
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Probably the most expensive city in the world. Hotel was ok kinda old, right next to Lake Geneva it's more like an apartment where you have ur own kitchen, so not bad if u don't want to eat out all the time. If you're staying here i'd suggest going to a supermarket like Megros and buying food from there and heating it up in the apartment, you'll save a lot of money

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Brussels
Reviewed October 23, 2011

The hotel is very well located for getting around Geneva with easy access to all forms of transport. Our studio (Room 47) was very spacious with beds for up to 5 people to sleep, though as I was only with my wife, we did not maximize our use! Main beds were comfortable though the ones in the second room (which also had its own flat screen TV) felt a bit soft.

Our room, at the back of the hotel, was very quiet with double glazed windows. Internet was free though we had intermittent connections initially, but then they changed the routers and after a day without connection, the service was restored. The studio had a fully working kitchen with a stove, oven, microwave oven and utensils for preparing our own meals if we had wanted to - which is a good option when in Geneva, given the prices in restaurants.

The room could be cleaner but given the price, we cannot complain too much. The utensils in the kitchen could also have been better. We paid only 526 Swiss francs for 4 nights and taking that into consideration, we would have to give a positive review to this hotel. I have stayed in about 4 cheap hotels in Geneva and so far, this is the one I will try to book next time I have to be in Geneva.

Room Tip: I am not sure about the noise level at the front of the hotel but if you prefer a sound night's...