“Eight days in Geneva and could have used A/C but great location!”
Review of Hotel de Geneve

Hotel de Geneve
Ranked #59 of 109 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed July 7, 2009

The hotel is very conveniently located about 7 minutes walk from the train station, 3 minutes walk from the airport bus, and a 5 minute stroll to the river. All in all, we had the best room in the house, (207), and yet we would have liked to have had some air-conditioning, considering how hot it was the week we were there. The staff is extremely friendly, and the place impeccably clean. I have shared my suggestions for improving the room, including the addition of a real televesion screen versus the laptop size screen we had to endure while trying to follow Wibledon matches! It's really a toss-up, and I would say that next time we might venture further afield. Especially given that we were in Geneva for a conference, and therefore would have also benefited from a 24 hour internet (which was NOT free) and availability of a printer.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed March 30, 2007

I thought this place was pretty nice. It was very clean, in good condition, and the breakfast was very nice. I would probably go back.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank CanadianEtudiant
Reviewed November 16, 2006

After checking tripadvisor for reviews, I settled on this hotel as
it was purported to be close to train station, friendly staff and
had some charm. Not at all. After walking over one hour with
luggage in the dark, stopping 3 times for directions from people
who laughed when they found out what I was looking for, I arrived
exhausted. There was no signage to indicate what the name of
the hotel was, only a transvestite outside to advise me that this
was the correct place. Several women and men outside the
hotel, hinted that I was meeting "my Man" there and smirked.
The "family run" hotel was more of a transient property catering
to gays and prostitutes judging from the clientele in the reception
area. Too tired to leave, I went to my room, which had a bed with
a pad for a mattress and no sheets. The shower so small I had
difficulty getting in it. The room I had booked supposedly was to
have a fireplace and a balcony!
This hotel has been selling itself as a 5 min. walk from train
station (NOT) and room with fireplace and balcony, and family
atmosphere! I checked out after one night of this humiliation
My agent asked me if that was the same hotel she had booked,
as her descriptions and tripadvisors descriptions did not match
mine. It was.
I cannot believe the other reviews of this property! Please be
forewarned, price is not the best way to rate this hotel!
74 yr. old lady, Evanston Il.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank starb
Reviewed July 25, 2006

We booked the Hotel de Geneve on Place Isaac-Mercier based on several criteria: cost, convenience to the train station and the good reviews on tripadvisor.com. We were pleased with the result. The hotel is smallish, but it actually consists of two adjacent buildings. It has a small lift and a small lobby where coffee and tea can be had all day and where breakfast is served each morning. It is within easy walking distance of the majority of the places to see in Geneva (the Old Town with Cathedral St. Pierre and its superb archeological exhibits and the Reformation Museum are a must) and is clean and comfortable. We found several nice places to eat on "our" side of the river, not too far away, if you walk toward the big fancy hotels on the lake and the go "one street back" and stroll there. If you plan to do a lot of lounging around in your room, you may want something a tad more upscale, but if you want a safe, convenient place to stay while exploring the city, this hotel works well. One of our teenaged children commented that the upstairs lobby on their floor (with couches, coffee table and bookshelf with books) reminded them of a common area in a college dormitory—we agreed. The clientele is international, which seems perfect and natural in this city. Geneva is smaller and more walk-able but reminds one of Paris.

Stayed: June 2006
6  Thank Impressions
Reviewed June 12, 2006

Very Noisy. We got a room facing the road and eventough we were on the third floor and the room had double glazed windows the noise was unbearable. It is not that people are honking but even then and the noise was there throughout the night. I had read review about it being noisy but took a chance thinking it cant be that bad...... I regret the decision.

Bad Service and Inadequate Buffet: I stayed at other places also but the buffet here was very poor. Eventhough the breakfast buffet is on till 10am but if you are not down by 8 am you can expect some of stuff from the already small buffet menu over and there will be no refills. They will waste your time by saying we are getting it but it never comes.

Eventhough the room was large and otherwise comfortable but if you cannot get a good nights sleep because of the noise then the money is wasted. Breakfast one can still grab outside the hotel but you cannot catch up on lost sleep.

Stayed: May 2006
5  Thank sanvaranasi
Reviewed November 12, 2005

We found this Hotel close to Cornavin Train Station (5 min walk) and shopping and walking tour of "Old Town" just 10 min. over bridge. It is very old, but nicely renovated with antique decor. Ask for a room with tub as it's much larger than the rooms with showers.(Tubs have hand held showers). The rooms have 2 single beds only, but can be pushed together: this seems typical in Europe. Petit breakfast included in cute dining area- cereals, breads, croissants, cheese, ham, juice, tea, and coffee. Generally a great hotel for the price, with friendly and helpful staff. Only downside was that it corners on a very busy street and was noisy most of the night.

• Stayed: November 2005
12  Thank SharleneKelowna
Reviewed August 17, 2005

We choose the hotel for the location and reasonable price.
It is 5 minutes walk from train station and is convenient to the local attractions. Staff were friendly.
Room and hotel in general was very clean and tidy.
Breakfast was fresh and tasty.
I would use it again.