“one more time”

Ranked #77 of 105 Hotels in Geneva
San Jose, Costa Rica
“one more time”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This was the fourth time that I have stayed at the Hotel Admiral in Geneva.
Like always I had a very pleasant stay, enhanced by the excellent management and the very friendly and helpful staff.
The Admiral is a smaller 3 Star hotel in walking distance to city buses and trams, as well as the Cornavin main train station of Geneva.
Lots of small restaurants are in the neighborhood and of course the nice brewery Les Brasseures.
The United Nations, where my annual meetings are, is just 4 stops away by tram.
The lake is just down the road and major shopping is within walking distance.
Preferably take a left turn when leaving the hotel lobby, as a right turn offers a special adventure.
However, it is very low key and I have never felt uncomfortable walking through the district when I was heading for a different restaurant, during daylight or late at night.
Typically I mention one person by name, who has especially enhanced my stay away from home.
This time it was the lady at the reception, Inna, who in her friendly way started the cold and rainy days of with a pleasant smile and some nice words.
Thank you very much, hope to see you next year.

Room Tip: If you can live without the view of the street in fro t of the hotel, chose a room facing the back...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Loboli2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Most of the reviews are pretty accurate. I chose this hotel knowing it's shortcomings but really didn't find any of it a problem. The hotel is clean, comfortable and the staff accommodating. Yes, it has a sex shop next door and there are women for sale in shop windows around the corner (Amsterdam style) but the area is quite safe and somewhat interesting. There is a bit of street noise for most of the night from, I think, taxi drivers using the street as a meeting point, but it was not enough to keep me awake and we stayed on a Friday night. The included breakfast was very good and for convenient location and value for money in Geneva it is hard to beat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear (if they have one)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dalton, Georgia
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Yes, the area is a bit dodgy but since I was not lounging around outside the hotel, that was not a problem. I had a room at the rear of the hotel so there was no noise to speak of and a great view of the Jet d'Eau. The room was small but comfortable and clean. The front desk staff was very cordial and helpful and the breakfast was excellent (included). It was convenient to my meetings and shopping and there was a wide variety of resturants within walking distance. Wandering around the neighborhood in the daytime, the street walkers were present but did not bother you. A wonderful, if a bit pricey, chocolate shop just up the street made it easy to pick up special christmas presents for the family. The price is great for downtown Geneva.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the upper floors at the back. Less noise and a good view of the fountain.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I had to travel to Geneva for a business event. I chose the Hotel Admiral from the Internet. I had never stayed there before. My criteria for choosing it included its closeness to the railway station (per Google maps) and the place where my business was taking place (Quai des Bergues), and the price.

The Google map was not wrong. The Admiral is about three minutes from the station by foot, and well positioned for everything else in the centre of Geneva.

When my colleague and I arrived we were met by a very charming receptionist, and the manager, both of whom were very attentive. We were presented with a general travel ticket for all the modes of transport in the city, which was a nice surprise. The room was very clean and quiet, which for me is of the utmost importance. Our breakfast next morning was first-class and all in all, we were very well treated.

On my arrival home (to Ireland) I discovered that I had left a number of business and other cards in a drawer in my room. A phone call to the hotel was dealt with immediately and the cards were soon on their way to my home in Dublin by post, where they arrived safely a few days later.

I thought this was a great service to add to the hospitality of our stay. I will definitely be booking into Hotel Admiral when next I have occasion to visit Geneva.

Room Tip: Can only say that my room was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Seamus M
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Hardest review I've done yet. Hotel itself is nice and we wanted something cozy and comfortable whilst visiting our son in Geneva over Christmas. Lots of fresh flowers, very nice floral decorations outside, beds comfortable, sheets and towels good quality and changed often, breakfast very good indeed, shower hot and efficient, very pleasant and helpful staff, excellent value for money and good location - I'm doing all the good bits first! However, we should have been given a pass to travel in Geneva free-of-charge on buses, trams and local trains and we weren't. It was only when enquiring about something else at the tourist information office that we found out about it some four days later. This was definitely a mark against the receptionist who checked us in. Please ask if you're not given one automatiically. As previous reviewers have mentioned, this hotel is on the edge of the red light district and pimps and prostitutes abound. However, we didn't ever feel intimidated or threatened by this and walking from the main road to the hotel wasn't a problem. The sex shops etc were further along the Rue Pellegrino Rossi and so we didn't need to pass them. Unfortunately this did mean that the road was very noisy at night - quite a lot of cars roaring around and shouting which the double glazing did help to reduce but not enough. The other huge problem for us was that the walls were paper-thin and if your neighbours were noisy - which ours were on at least three of our seven nights - you really didn't get much sleep. Even normal moving around and using the bathroom noises seemed to be abnormally amplified and I didn't have a full night's sleep once during our week. This is such a shame because the hotel does try really hard, it's in a very convenient location (especially for the railway station) and it's a short walk to the lake and Jet d'eau. I'd like to say we'd use it again, but I don't think we will.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jane M
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Ok, this review is tricky. The hotel is older, but has a very cozy feel to it. The room was small, but serviceable. The front desk staff was courteous and tried to be helpful. The breakfast (included) was fantastic.

The hotel is in a bit of a "sketchy" area, lots of prostitutes 24hours a day on the street and surrounding area. This is not a problem, however, when the city quiets down around 11PM the street noise from pimps/hookers and their clients is unbearable. Impossible to sleep, you stop noticing it around 6-7 am when the background city noise starts again. We stayed three nights at the beginning/mid May, likely got about 3 hours sleep.

Front desk staff attempted to get us a room at the back of the building without success.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Geneva hotels

Hobart, Australia
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The Hotel Admiral is located pretty much in the centre of Geneva so most attractions are in very easy walking distance. Its also located right in the middel of Geneva's Red Light district. My wife and I knew this when booking, but it turns out that this is a "business is booming" area and the noise at night is loud and pretty off-putting. The hotel itself is what we'd consider three star at best. Service on arrival was ok and the room was what you would expect for a hotel of this class. The airconditioning was hopefless and yes, we did find the remote contral and tried to make all the necessary adjustments. We had to open the widow to try to get some cool air into the room - which achieved little othe rthan letting in all the night-life noise below. Bottom line: an average hotel in a pretty sleezy area...but value for money so long as your expectations match the reality. Recommended - just.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple