Open today: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Review Highlights
Swiss covid QR code is required

CERN was the only place we visited that required the Swiss QR code. You can apply online by... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
978timd
Denver, Colorado
Nothing beats science!

We visited during covid/ Aug 2021. Not everything was open but nevertheless a tour that we manage... read more

Reviewed September 21, 2021
GoPlaces06815803121

Recommended experiences in and around Geneva
from $121.38
from $110.23
from $97.99
Geneva City Tour
169 Reviews
from $61.24
1,548 results
All reviews particle physics guided tour days in advance world wide web big bang waiting list hadron collider science geek cutting edge interactive displays scientists lhc universe particles globe physical experiment
Selected filters
Reviewed July 11, 2018

Took a group of students here for a tour but I would come back as it was truly a sight to behold. Had a tour with a guide in the morning which was informative and what is, lets face it, quite complex particle physics was made interesting and understandable. The exhibitions are really good too. I love a bit of cosmology and it was very impressively done. Easy to get to via the No.18 Tram (with a bus from Blandonnet as there are works on the tram line at the moment).

2  Thank Rebecca R
Reviewed July 11, 2018 via mobile

The new building for the Universe of Particles is sensational. But the content is not. When I last visited and did one of the booked tours (sensational by the way) I also visited the old museum. It was very didactic assisting an understanding for lay people of the universe and everything to do a bad quote. Now both the new and what is left of the old are basically promos for CERN. In some ways I don’t blame them they have to get government to cough up billions but it means the full understanding of the big picture has gone...pity.

Reviewed July 7, 2018 via mobile

The tour was very interesting as a physics major, however it seemed that it was accessible to a large variety of people. Our tour guide was Chinese and had a very heavy accent which was sometimes hard to follow. Otherwise, there might be a little too many videos shown, even though it does offer an occasion to sit down.
Very nice experience overall.

Date of experience: December 2017
Reviewed July 5, 2018 via mobile

The visit to CERN was the highlight of our Geneva trip.
The tour is free but has to be booked in advance about 15 days during the holiday season.
We were in a group of about 15-20 people

Our guide was a physicist who was very knowledgeable, fun and ready to answer even the most silliest questions.
The facility is amazing and you get to see the work up close.
Highly recommend for science enthusiasts and physics geeks!

Reviewed July 4, 2018

It was my wish to visit this place at least one in my life. So, when we went to Geneva, it jumped to the top places to visit there.

It's located outside Geneva, but no worries - Geneva gives you free tram passes that you can use to reach there. The journey takes 20 mins from central Geneva and it's quite nice and beautiful once you start leaving the city.

We were also lucky enough to get included into the CERN tour. Though free for all, it's VERY difficult to get a booking. Batches of 12 seats get available on CERN website 15 days and 3 days before the tour date, and they LITERALLY get booked in seconds.
We had to adjust my Geneva itinerary, as I could not get my first preferred date. When I got slot, I could only book for myself and not my wife, as they had only 1 vacancy left. She knew how much I wanted this and hence encouraged me to book the tour solo with the intention that she will come back once the tour starts. However, while I was getting my tour pass in the reception, the receptionist saw my wife along with me and asked me "why is she not going?" I explained that I couldn't get a place for her online. She put her on the waiting list, and then 5 mins later came and gave her a pass as well! It probably was one of the happiest moments of my life.

Regarding CERN - I was a humbling experience for me. Belonging in jobworld, you become numb to the showiness that happens everyday, and your bar of what's really great can get very low. CERN reminded me what it was like to really study and learn. The tour guide, who was a professor in HB research, had been there for 30 years - he was so humble and approachable, it shorts your mind.
And then there were the machines and accelerators that has been used in CERN history (not the LHC - that was in operation, so we could not get in), and the associated study that happened, was really something. For a momentary time, everything in the outside world felt so blah!

Other than the tour, there are other sites that you can visit, and it's all very informative if you have interest and (some understanding) of advanced particle physics and quantum mechanics. you could probably spend the entire day here exploring. There are some really great things to look at (including a copy of the HB research paper) and a very easy explanation of quantum foam and creation of the universe.

Final word - The LHC will be closed for repairs in early 2020, so if you want to explore it, that's the time to visit.

Date of experience: June 2018