“Impressive even if you are not a science geek!”

CERN Univers de particules
Ranked #1 of 40 Museums in Geneva
More attraction details
Owner description: CERN, in Geneva, is the world’s largest particle physics research centre. CERN has recently brought into service the world’s most powerful accelerator, the LHC (Large Hadron Collider), which will provide new insights into the Universe and how it evolved. The entire Universe is made up of particles. But where do they come from? What laws govern their behaviour? The purpose of the "Universe of particles" exhibition is for visitors to confront the great questions of contemporary physics : a journey to the Big Bang.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I enjoyed the tour of CERN and found it informative. I'm not a scientist but do have a reasonably good general knowledge of physics. Our tour guide was a CERN researcher who was an interesting person and a good communicator. The sheer magnitude of the facility including the number of scientists involved is impressive. I was not planning on going to Geneva so I registered for a guided tour of CERN about a week in advance. I expect I got in due to a cancellation. The tour is well organized and the group size reasonable - I would guess around 15 to 20 people. CERN is easily accessible by public transit from Geneva.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,169)

Reviewed October 1, 2013

A must for scentists and engineers. Try to get a ticket for Atlas or CMS -100m down. Go to the coil manufacturing....once every 5 years. This is top! But....you can always visit the permanent exposition about elementary physics and the history of CERN....a top attraction for all people who are intrested in what quarks an muons have to offer.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I came here with lots of expectations, as I have somewhat good physics background and excellent geek background, so this is kind of a holy grail to me. In short: I wasn't disappointed. I was in an organized group so I got to listen to a short lecture by a scientist who works here, then got to see the main datacenter and then one of the experiments: the CMS, Compact Muon Solenoid, 100 m below the ground. I can't describe the sheer complexity of CMS, or the scale or the numbers of it... I took a lot of pictures, but nothing could replace the view on-site.

I have a remark about the scientist who took us to see the detector at CMS, he was clearly not in the mood for vivid describing. He did his job, but with no enthusiasm I somehow expected. He spoke too quiet and had bad english accent so I barely could catch what he talked. He responded well to questions with great detail, so I believe he is just bored of taking group after group of people below and repeating all the stuff, as this is not his core business. Well, that almost spoiled the show for me, but I still give it 5 stars.
The datacenter guy also was a show-spoiler as he wasn't well educated about the small details, just the general tour that was lectured to him.

Unfortunately, the museum building, the wooden sphere, was closed for that day, so I must visit it again sometime. I also missed Open days, well that would be a treat!
One of the surprises was that photographs was not only permitted, but mostly encouraged, so we all photographed everything we saw, even the terminals of the people.

1  Thank Ivan N
Reviewed September 12, 2013

CERN offers guided tours, but spaces are limited so make sure you book a few months in advance. The tours are given by staff and students at CERN and take you to several locations in the laboratory.

If you did not book a tour or want to see more after your guided tour there are two open exhibitions (Microcosm and the globe) close to the reception you can visit without a guide.

The easiest way to get to CERN is to take the tram from Geneva to stop “CERN”. Parking spaces are limited. Note also that some areas strictly require closed shoes so pay attention to the information about your visit.

2  Thank Lene D
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Unfortunately I only saw the building from outside (it looks much better on pictures), because the official Geneva guide says they open at eight a.m. on weekdays and at eight thirty on Saturday. In reality, they don't open until ten. Therefore I planned the visit for the last day when I did not have time to wait until ten for them to open. Shame on me and shame on whoever wrote the wrong info. So be careful about this. Otherwise I believe the exposition would have been interesting...

2  Thank Hana K