“a definite must for science lovers...”

CERN Univers de particules
Ranked #1 of 41 Museums in Geneva
More attraction details
Owner description: CERN, in Geneva, is the world’s largest particle physics research centre. CERN has recently brought into service the world’s most powerful accelerator, the LHC (Large Hadron Collider), which will provide new insights into the Universe and how it evolved. The entire Universe is made up of particles. But where do they come from? What laws govern their behaviour? The purpose of the "Universe of particles" exhibition is for visitors to confront the great questions of contemporary physics : a journey to the Big Bang.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Our trip to Geneva was a spontaneous one and we arrived within a week of booking our flights, unfortunately for us, this meant we were unable to attend the guided tour (which in English, was fully booked out months in advance!).

Undetered, we visited anyway as there are two permanent exhibitions on display that are open to the general public that give a fabulous insight into the entire process, the science behind it and the multinational teams involved.

It's a short journey by tram (#14, I think) from the train station and it's the last stop on the line - so there is no missing it.

We were also lucky enough to be greeted by one of the volunteers (who had worked at CERN for the last 20+yrs) who walked us through the displays (many hands-on and interactive) and assisted us with our questions.

If you are a science-nerd of any sort - then this is a definite must-see while in Geneva

3  Thank Travelling_Bilbury
Write a ReviewReviews (1,211)
All reviews
"reception area"
"last stop"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I had only a weekend in Geneva, but given that I am a bit of a science nerd, I put a visit to CERN at the top of my list. I think a guided tour is essential, because it may help those who are not scientists to understand and relate to the research. I highly enjoyed my experience, though my tour guide was only mediocre....I think it was his first time doing a tour, and English is not his native language. I hear most of the guides are excellent. The most interesting part of this tour for me was the sheer magnitude of this accomplishment - the cost, designing, building, calibrating, etc of this machine is astounding. It makes me proud of humankind to know that we can put politics aside and come together to build machines like this.

**Tip - Our guide told us that if you want to be able to walk into the underground chambers to see the collider and detectors, you should visit after March 2013 when they will shut down the collider for maintenance and allow visitors to see it. We were unable to do this because the collider was in use.

4  Thank GotMilkanie
Reviewed October 6, 2012

The Cern Microcosm museum is very interesting for Children. Also is good for adults to learn more about the activity at Cern, physics, the World Wide web, and history of the CERN site, from the beginning over 60 years ago and the growth of the activities.

2  Thank ChristianJordan
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Allow me to preface this by saying that this was not an activity high on my list, but my husband was very interested. The other reviews led me to believe this would be fun even if science wasn't your thing. *It wasn't.*
Anyway, we were unable to get an advanced place on the tour, but were told that we could arrive early and see if there were spots available. We did, and the woman at check-in told us that we could participate and to return to the lobby in 20 minutes. She didn't ask for our name. We waited. When the time came to be checked in, they didn't have our name. Of course, because it was never requested. I don't make a habit of going around and giving my name to people who don't ask for it!! The 'gentleman' who 'assisted' us called it 'illogical' that she wouldn't ask for our name and stated that we shouldn't be 'childish' when I stated that the people who came after us were being allowed in. I understand that customer service is different in Europe than in the US, but I was now fuming at being insulted. We were simply trying to take a tour!!
After being allowed to participate (like children who had been bad), we entered the little movie theatre for a short film. I actually thought this film was interesting and a good introduction (my husband wasn't impressed). Afterwards, we were introduced to our guide and taken across the street for the remainder of our tour. Or so we thought. We stood in the parking lot for 15 minutes looking at and talking about a painting on the wall. No exaggeration. Once that was done, we were taken in the building and stood looking at a powerpoint-like presentation for another 20 minutes. IT FELT LIKE SCHOOL, BUT WORSE! After that, another movie upstairs, worse than the first one.
In total, the 'tour' (lecture would be more appropriate) took 1.5 hours, we watched 2 short movies, looked at a painting, and looked at a screen. We left immediately after being dismissed. Maybe there is something we missed, but we were there for nearly 2 hours and literally saw nothing (on the tour we had to fight to be on, nonetheless)!!
If movies, lectures, and being insulted are your idea of a great tour, by all means, go here. My idea of a nice vacation activity is NOT feeling like I'm in high school all over again. Highlight: The fact that the tram picked us up so quickly and we were able to salvage the remainder of our day.

9  Thank Christina M