“Not My Next Choice”

Ranked #7 of 105 Hotels in Geneva
San Francisco, California
“Not My Next Choice”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This is one of the few low scoring reviews I've given in a while but I hope it will give you some perspective about this hotel.

I stayed here for one night and got in late. Check-in was easy, thank goodness. The hotel is a little historic, somewhat of a royal vintage feel. For me, it's more conservative than I like. Don't come expecting it to be modern; the elevators are small and my room was small, as well.

The rooms are kept very clean though; there is even a little paper wrapper on the toilets to indicate that it's been disinfected. The bed was comfortable too. The Fitness Center does not have very modern cardio machines and had no elliptical - only a step machine that is a relic from 2006. Definitely needs to be updated. It did have a nice sauna room though.

What didn't work for me was the Internet when i tried to access it from 2 different devices. When I talked to the Front Desk, they insisted it was my problem. When I asked if there was a tech support number, the Grint Desk rep said no and couldn't understand why I was having an issue. I work for a major Internet company and know how to access the Internet so his attitude was totally unwarranted and he was completely unhelpful in trying to resolve an issue for a guest.

Additionally, the cost of breakfast was extremely high and I had no idea it would be 38 Swiss francs so beware since there are no signs posted about the cost.

All in all, I would not stay here again if I had to make a choice. I'd much rather stay at a bigger brand hotel and pay the high costs to get points rather than the disappointing service. The other sad part about my stay is that I feel that even if the Hotel reads this, they will turn up their nose at this review and deny it. That's the sentiment of the service I received.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Irene W
BristolManager, General Manager at Hotel Bristol, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.
Indeed, steering clear of short-lived fashions, the Bristol Hotel is a family-run hotel which aims to be always in tune the times in delivering discrete, personal-touch service in the grand tradition of Swiss hospitality.
But we "do not turn up our nose at your review and deny it" : we fully accept your point of vue and would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused. Regarding the wifi connection, we just invested in the Fibre Optique, and new working machines will be changed this winter in the wellness centre.

With our kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Palanga, Lithuania
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I was in the city to attend a seminar on Women education in the city. Location was the reason that I booked this hotel, but I was very much impressed by the quality of services offered at this place. All the members of staff are highly trained; they know how to take good care of their clients. I must say they really value their guest. Throughout our stay they treated us like their valued guests. Rooms are very pretty, nicely decorated and well-appointed with all needed things. Washroom was luxurious and bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was lovely.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Oksana G
Dear Guest,

We are very proud to count you among our ambassadors! Indeed the Bristol Hotel is all about excellent location, great service and amenities... and Great staff!
We care a lot about our guests and this is very rewarding that you noticed our efforts.

Many thanks for your contribution and kind regards from Geneva

We look forward to welcoming you again!
Scotland
Reviewed May 19, 2013

This was a wonderful choice of hotel for a 3 night stay in Geneva. There were a group of us there and everyone was delighted with the accommodation. It is a 5 minute stroll from the station and a 2 minute stroll to the Lake. It is near the old town and the boat terminals and there are plenty of restaurants in the vicinity. We ate in the hotel restaurant on the first evening and the food was really excellent, as was the service. Drinks at the bar are expensive however drinks are expensive everywhere in Geneva. Rooms were clean and comfortable and, if you are at the front of the hotel, you will be able to see the river/lake. Reception staff were delightful and I would thoroughly recommend this hotel. It has old fashioned class!

Room Tip: If you want the window open, pick a room overlooking the garden as there is no traffic noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ginger005
Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us!
Many thanks for posting this review and for showcasing our assets which are an excellent location and a great quality of service.
Looking forward to welcoming you in the future, we remain at your entire disposal.

Singapore, Singapore
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,071 helpful votes
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Great location between the train station and the lake. This hotel had known better days. The rooms are downright basic, the gym has a few old equipment, and the spa looks a bit seedy. Polite and friendly service.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Lam N
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments and we sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.
Our wellness centre was entirely renovated but a few working machines will be changed this winter.

Kind regards from Geneva
Scotland
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Absolutely loved this hotel. Everyone was so lovely to us, from the moment we walked in with a last-minute booking that wasn't even on their system yet, to every question we asked them! We were very kindly upgraded to a deluxe room which was beautiful - looked out on the gardens, had plenty of space, everything was clean and sparkling, and we felt rich and relaxed. Location is perfect - a very short walk from the train station, and even shorter walk (a few steps really!) to the lake and views, and then on to Old Town Geneva. Couldn't recommend this place or its people higher - thank you so much!

Room Tip: Garden view rooms are lovely!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
BristolManager, General Manager at Hotel Bristol, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for posting this review ! It is always rewarding to notice that our guests appreciate our efforts in order to make their stays with us as pleasant as possible.
We hope to have a chance to welcome you in the future.

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed here on a 5-day trip to Geneva recently. Hotel Bristol made the trip even more enjoyable. The staff was extremely attentive, pleasant, and competent. Our room was spacious and extremely pleasant. The seating area had a nice little table, with a side-table holding a coffee machine, electric kettle, and accompanying teas/coffees. You have to pay for the nespresso capsules, nonetheless a nice touch. Linens, towels, etc. were all extremely comfortable and of excellent quality (chintzy towels at top-name hotels are a pet peeve). Storage space was reasonably good. The hotel restaurant was very good (if expensive -- but that is standard in Geneva).

Positives:
- Excellent and proactive service. Hotel staff would pop up out of nowhere while I was waiting for a friend and ask if they could help with something.
- Recently renovated room. Our room had recently been given a gentle facelift. Furnishings looked new.
- Very nice bathroom. The tub is of a deep style, unlike the little shallow ones you find at some hotels, especially in North America. The toilet had a bidet-type seat (Toto and similar brands offer these electronic seats ... they're often heated, which is nice). There is also a towel heater.
- Pleasant and efficient check-in. We arrived early, yet were given a room immediately.
- Quiet. Despite our room facing the rue Mont-Blanc, the room was silent once you closed the windows. There were actually two set of windows, each double-paned, which explains why the room was so quiet.

Concerns / potential turnoffs.
- It's a quibble, but the room's air conditioning / heating system was a bit difficult to figure out. Instructions would be nice.
- Elevators are cozy, to be kind. The elevators are very small. This situation seems universal in Geneva. All hotels in which I have stayed have tiny elevators. It's a Geneva thing, I guess.
- Hotels, restaurants, and almost everything are rather expensive in Geneva. I think we got a reasonable value at Hotel Bristol, after reviewing several alternatives. Nonetheless, we paid more than I think you would in most any city, with the possible exceptions of New York, Paris, and London.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay very much and recommend this hotel to anyone looking for high-quality and good location in Geneva.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post this review and we are very happy to count you among our new ambassadors!
Indeed the Bristol Hotel in Geneva is all about high-quality standards and excellent location.

Thanks again for your contribution and kind regards from Geneva
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed April 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Bristol for 4 days. It feels like a boutique hotel: charming, clean, small with friendly staff who are here to help. The room we had looked out to a courtyard which was a good thing because it meant that it was quieter than had it been facing the street. The location is ideal (note it is just steps from the very expensive Four Seasons). It felt like a safe area but even more important is that it felt like a safe hotel. We opted for their continental breakfast: the croissants were parfait and they even make good coffee. The restaurant, while attractive, was quite disappointing. I do not recommend it. One thing to note for all you claustrophobic folks is that the elevators were so small that no more than 2 close friends could fit into them. (Or 1 person with luggage!) I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard as it will be quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Royalty0606
BristolManager, Directeur général at Hotel Bristol, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear guest,

We thank you very much for your recent visit to our hotel, and we hope that you had a pleasant journey back home.
We would like to thank you for posting this review and we are happy to learn that you were generally satisfied with your stay at the Bristol Geneva. But we sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations regarding our restaurant.
Thanking you again for your comments, we assure you that we take all feedback seriously.