“Standard double with 120 cm bed”

Hotel Bernina Geneve
Ranked #69 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The location is great but the rooms are really small. We had standard double and the bed was 120 cm wide and room size was 6-7 m2. When I complained the portier said that we have the large room? The room was also old and no hair dryer. This hotel is absolutely not recommend for couples or adults. The "Quality" label should be removed from the hotel name - totally misleading and does not justify the high price.

• Stayed: July 2013
Bernina-GVA, Responsable commercial at Hotel Bernina Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear Rauli H

First of all, I would like to apologize for issues you encountered during your stay. As the period was extremely busy during your stay (July 3rd), we didn’t manage to allocate you another room. However, even if the room you stayed in is one of our smallest one, it is 14,7 m2 (not 7m2 as mentioned in your review).

I hope we'll have another chance to welcome you and show you our hotel at its best.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Good accessibility and location. Bit far from the hotel. A friendly staff. Very less facilities and no AC. Many restaurants are nearby. Breakfast was continental. There is a subway entrance just opposite to the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I felt like in a trip to the 70's...terrible bed, the mattress is probably is from the 70s, furniture is archaic, no air conditioner, cheap amenities....great location and free internet...book it only if you cannot afford anything better.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear MarioFeld,

I would like to thank you for your stay at hotel Bernina and for having taken the time to share your experience with the Tripadvisor community. However, I must say that I was disappointed to read your review as we pay a specific attention to our guest satisfaction and also to keep an excellent value for money, despite our very centrally location in one of the most expensive city in the world.

Regarding the mattress, I can quite understand that it was not to your liking. Some people like it rather hard, other soft. But, the mattress you slept on, comes from the same manufacturer as some 4 star hotels in the area.

Finaly, the 80s style is fully part of the traditional spirit of our family hotel we want to retain!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The hotel was as described, and we had a great experience checking in and using the facilities at night. At 8:30 in the morning one member of our party was having breakfast while the other was on the toilet. Our bags were on the beds, and it would be clear to anyone that we had not checked out yet. The maid then walked straight into the bathroom while my mother was on the toilet which was possible because the bathroom doors do not have locks. We complained to the management, but they insisted that the maid must have knocked and my mother did not hear. My mother has good hearing, and it seems much more likely that the maid just rushed in. She did not knock on the bathroom door, nor take time to see if the light in the bathroom was on.

The management seems to feel that this is an acceptable event, and besides an insincere apology does not appear to care. The management said the maid did not make a mistake

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear CoffeeChronicle

Thank you very much for providing us with feedback. I want to apologize about the issues you encountered with our housekeeping service. I can assure you that this is well below our standards and that these issues are in the process of being resolved.

One more time, I would like to apologize for the disappointment and discomfort you experienced during your stay with us and I hope you'll give us a second chance to meet you expectations.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Most central hotel. Close to all transportation needed to visit the city.
5 min from the airport.
No restaurant and no need, nearby are more than 50 restaurants of varying prices.
Friendly staff, and most Portuguese! :)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 29, 2013

First the pictures in the internet are from another hotel for sure. An "exotic" smell wait for you inside the rooms as if someone is cooking besides you. The fourniture seems recovered from the street or bought in a "poor garage sale". The doors and woods were in a very bad shape, not painted and some deteorated by humidity or because no one took care of them.
The cleaning was very good, I must say, and the hotel gave us a discount for parking, but the price is too high in relation to the quality.
We didn't like the attitude when we claim about the rooms and was told to us that's natural because the hotel is closing in December and they are not investing any money till there.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I travel to Chamonix, France with family, so I spent 1 night stop over at Geneva before continue to Paris using train. I choose hotel Bernina because of its location, and I was extremely satisfied with the location. Cornavin station is just accross the street, with many shops and restaurant surrounding the hotel particularly at Rue du Mont Blanc, only 15 minutes walk to the lake, and very easy to go to the United Nations headquarters, just a few step from the hotel to catch up the tram.
I booked a family room, and I got room no. 407, quite spacious with 1 queen bed and 2 single bed. Unfortunately there is no aircon in the room, only 1 fan and in the summer the room become very hot, I cannot sleep for the whole night, try to open the window in the midnight but it was too noisy.
Breakfast is not so good, not so many option and service also need to be improved. However, the ladies in the front desk were so nice, very helpful and friendly. My check-in and check-out process was superb fast and convenience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family