I cannot resist to the pleasure to share what has been a unique experience for me. After a short, easy and free bus ride from the airport, I got to the hotel late morning, around 10:45. Located in the heart of the diplomatic district, it is a beautifully renovated property with a very pleasant modern design. Maybe thanks to my Gold Ambassador status, I had the great surprise to hear that my room was already ready. It was much appreciated after a long night on the plane and I could refresh and relax before heading to town, again a short and free bus ride away. The front desk staff were very welcoming and made me feel at home. The room was perfect, on the 15th floor, very nicely designed and furnished. The bathroom is very small but fully equipped with bathrobes, slippers and large comfortable bath towels. I would probably have preferred a full-blown shower than a bathtub with shower, but this is personal.
The concierge was very helpful, friendly and amicable. A pleasure. I had dinner at the hotel, probably the best meal I had in Geneva, and again very friendly and caring staff.
The property is wonderful with a gorgeous open swimming pool, a great fitness and welcoming lounge and bar. The bed was very comfortable, but the only caveat is the poor sound insulation; being on the east side, I could hear the traffic, even if decreases significantly at night; I must say that I live in a very quiet environment with no traffic at night, and am not accustomed anymore with the activity of a big city. It would nevertheless warrant improving the soundproofing at the next round of renovation. The positive of being on the east side is that I could enjoy a beautiful sunrise on the lake with the mountains in the background before heading for an excellent breakfast.
Now, you have to understand that you are not in a regular hotel, but you are at the heart of the United Nations, not even a few minutes walk from the South Korean, Canadian and Russian missions, among others. You are in History, and as it happened yesterday, being in the midst of a major international crisis, I had the privilege to witness how this hotel turns into a battleship. Everybody is on the bridge, know his or her role and carry on in an incredibly professional way. Having a very busy work schedule, I was not on war mode, and my agenda was not aligned with the crisis, which explains why I probably overreacted to the added noise last night from external security and international staff, which invaded the hotel to prepare a top level international meeting. . But I must command the entire staff, from doormen, front desk, concierge, housekeeping to the director of rooms and upper management, as I had the privilege to meet with the Deputy General Manager (a perfect gentleman) for their courtesy and professionalism. I am just sorry that I cannot give them more than 5 stars on Tripadvisor. If you are curious and open-minded, and not under too much pressure, this can turn into the most exciting experience, as you become part of History: the World crisis are unfolding in front of you.
In conclusion, great property, phenomenal staff with no exception, great food and if they can fix the soundproofing issues, an amazing hotel. I will certainly go back next time I am in Geneva.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The InterContinental 5-star luxury hotel, newly redesigned provides amazing views of the Mont Blanc, of Lake Geneva and Geneva City. It's a 3-minute walk from the United Nations and within a 5-minute drive from the International Centre of Congress CICG and the Palexpo Exhibition Centre. The spacious and elegant 333 rooms and Suites at the InterContinental Geneva have free Wi-Fi, free tea and coffee-making facilities, are air-conditioned and feature cable TV. Dining options include modern international cuisine and seasonal specialties served in the gourmet restaurant, which features a well-stocked wine cellar and a terrace. At the bar Les Nations, guests can enjoy a wide range of drinks, listen to live piano music, and browse in books and magazines. A sophisticated urban-style bar, Le Fumoir seduces you with its original cocktails and a selection of international cigars. The 4306 ft² Spa by Clarins provides a complete set of beauty and massage treatments. The health and fitness center is open 24 hours and there's a seasonal outdoor pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, Agoda, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Jetsetter, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel InterContinental Geneve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Hotel Geneva
- Intercontinental Hotel Geneve