“Great experience in Geneva”

Hotel InterContinental Geneve
Ranked #14 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Ancaster
“Great experience in Geneva”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

I cannot resist to the pleasure to share what has been a unique experience for me. After a short, easy and free bus ride from the airport, I got to the hotel late morning, around 10:45. Located in the heart of the diplomatic district, it is a beautifully renovated property with a very pleasant modern design. Maybe thanks to my Gold Ambassador status, I had the great surprise to hear that my room was already ready. It was much appreciated after a long night on the plane and I could refresh and relax before heading to town, again a short and free bus ride away. The front desk staff were very welcoming and made me feel at home. The room was perfect, on the 15th floor, very nicely designed and furnished. The bathroom is very small but fully equipped with bathrobes, slippers and large comfortable bath towels. I would probably have preferred a full-blown shower than a bathtub with shower, but this is personal.
The concierge was very helpful, friendly and amicable. A pleasure. I had dinner at the hotel, probably the best meal I had in Geneva, and again very friendly and caring staff.
The property is wonderful with a gorgeous open swimming pool, a great fitness and welcoming lounge and bar. The bed was very comfortable, but the only caveat is the poor sound insulation; being on the east side, I could hear the traffic, even if decreases significantly at night; I must say that I live in a very quiet environment with no traffic at night, and am not accustomed anymore with the activity of a big city. It would nevertheless warrant improving the soundproofing at the next round of renovation. The positive of being on the east side is that I could enjoy a beautiful sunrise on the lake with the mountains in the background before heading for an excellent breakfast.
Now, you have to understand that you are not in a regular hotel, but you are at the heart of the United Nations, not even a few minutes walk from the South Korean, Canadian and Russian missions, among others. You are in History, and as it happened yesterday, being in the midst of a major international crisis, I had the privilege to witness how this hotel turns into a battleship. Everybody is on the bridge, know his or her role and carry on in an incredibly professional way. Having a very busy work schedule, I was not on war mode, and my agenda was not aligned with the crisis, which explains why I probably overreacted to the added noise last night from external security and international staff, which invaded the hotel to prepare a top level international meeting. . But I must command the entire staff, from doormen, front desk, concierge, housekeeping to the director of rooms and upper management, as I had the privilege to meet with the Deputy General Manager (a perfect gentleman) for their courtesy and professionalism. I am just sorry that I cannot give them more than 5 stars on Tripadvisor. If you are curious and open-minded, and not under too much pressure, this can turn into the most exciting experience, as you become part of History: the World crisis are unfolding in front of you.
In conclusion, great property, phenomenal staff with no exception, great food and if they can fix the soundproofing issues, an amazing hotel. I will certainly go back next time I am in Geneva.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side and above the 10th floor are probably the best.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Sir,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at the InterContinental Genève with the Trip Advisor community.

Being aware that you encountered an unpleasant situation upon your last night with us due to the exceptional international conference taking place at the hotel, we really appreciate that you gave anyway a very detailed and amazing feedback on the property and its facilities. It has been a real pleasure for all our team members to welcome you and make you live finally a memorable experience.

You may be rest assured that your very positive comments will be forwarded to everyone.

Should your plans bring you back to Geneva, we will be more that delighted to welcome you on that occasion.

In the meantime, we wish you all the best and remain,

Jurgen Baumhoff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

This is an impressive hotel. I stayed with my family for a short weekend break and received an automatic upgrade given that I am an Ambassador member (this is well worth thinking about as it is inexpensive and you do get a number of extras apart from the automatic upgrade such as fruit, water, chocolates in room). The staff are extremely professional and helpful. The concierge was excellent recommending excellent places for a local authentic breakfast. The staff in the bar were exceptional as were the staff at reception. The rooms are spacious and clean (try and get one with a lake view). The pool is fantastic. The hotel is a little out of the centre but actually this did not matter. Public transport is free to visitors and you are issued travel cards on arrival. The No 5 bus is right outside and it is an enjoyable 10 minute ride to the Lake. The trip also allows you to get a feel for Geneva. A tip - on arrival at the airport in the baggage collection area there is a machine that provides a free travel ticket to your destination. If staying at the Intercontinental just go to the entrance for the bus and take the No 5 again. It is only 10 minutes.

Room Tip: If you can go for a room high up - the advantage of not being disturbed by any traffic and also grea...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Warm comments such as yours are most important and useful for us. It goes without saying that they have been forwarded to all our team members concerned.

Please be rest assured that you and your family will always be most welcome to the InterContinental Genève on the occasion of your future stays.

Best regards,

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

If you are travelling on business this may not be a hotel high on your list. It boasts extravagance and service, but this institution is largely frequented by those who have no occupation other than jet-setting, shopping and leisure and as a result they have no consideration when it comes to playing loud music indiscreetly at times when you may want to sleep. I am very culturally tolerant but I see no real value to other patrons having to listen to loud Arabic music beyond midnight. Furthermore the staff do not see this as a real concern to genuinely rectify the problem at hand when reported to concierge not once, but twice.

I would suggest this hotel would do well to limit the volume control on all their devices so that the loudest volume is not obnoxious to other surrounding patrons. If you want to charge a premium for rooms you should have the decency to ensure all your patrons exercise some consideration by reminding them at check-in about etiquette.

This is not necessarily a hotel frequented by a genteel or considerate set on business. I do not hesitate on not recommending the Intercontinental for conference or business, a total shame given that I am a medical professional here on a conference.

Dear Madam,

We are truly sorry to hear that the hotel services and comfort did not meet your expectations.

For your information, we would like to draw your attention to the fact that our clientele is mostly composed of business travellers all over the year but, in summer, we frequently welcome families who spend their holidays in Geneva.

Please kindly accept our sincere apologies for all the inconvenience caused during your visit. Guest satisfaction being our priority, you may rest assured that your feedback will be forwarded to our team members so that we can always improve our quality of service.

Hoping you will nevertheless give us another chance to welcome you to the hotel in a not too distant future, we remain,

Verbier
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Decided to try this hotel as opposed to the normal airport hotels as having to check in at 04.30 distance was not an issue. Really pleased I did.
Staff all very friendly and helpful . There is a great heated outdoor pool where we had an excellent meal at 4 pm often a difficult time in Europe . Swim sun bathe and a cocktail in the very pleasant bar before bed at 9.00 for a sound sleep before the early start,felt great

1 Thank Thomaskerr7
Dear Sir,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at the InterContinental Genève with the Trip Advisor Community.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. Good comments such as yours are most important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they will be forwarded to all persons concerned.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon, we remain,

wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

There staff are very courteous and polite as the other reviewers state HOWEVER Last night I was given a smoking room without being asked, the previous occupant had been smoking cigars; housekeeping knocked and woke me up at 8.30 (I got in very late, so not appreciated); I was not offered a newspaper but noticed newspapers for other rooms; there are no curtains just blinds so completely dark or a strong shaft of light; heavy duvee on the bed but 26 degree weather.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Sir,

We are truly sorry to hear that you did not completely enjoy your stay at the hotel and that the room comfort did not meet your expectations.

Needless to say that your comments concerning the room assignment as well as the housekeeping minor issue you encountered with the housekeeping team will be forwarded to the managers concerned to prevent such unpleasant matters from reoccurring in the future.

Once again, we are very sorry that you did not have a memorable visit but do hope you will nevertheless give us another chance to welcome you to the hotel in a not too distant future.

Looking forward to that pleasure, I remain,

Abu Dhabi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

WOW, a great experience from arrival right through until departure. We arrived after a long drive to a fabulous welcome, the valet parkers, bell boys and especially from Irene at check-in. She then escorted us up to our room explaining that we had a lake view. Little did we know that our room had 2 huge windows facing right over the lake, a delightful surprise, at the same time, these are the newly refurbished rooms which are absolutely stunning. The following morning breakfast, was another great experience, great selection of healthy (and not so healthy, but delicious) options, great and friendly service, especially by Aurelie. We stayed for only 2 days this time and had a fabulous and friendly repose, the service in every area was impeccable. Many thanks.

Room Tip: Ask (and pay if you need to) for a lake view room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir,

It is a real pleasure to hear that you and your partner enjoyed your stay with us this summer and that the hotel facilities were up to your expectations. Your very good comments – which are most important and useful for us – will be of course forwarded to all persons concerned, especially Aurelie from the Woods team.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon to the hotel, we remain,

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

I stayed at Intercontinental Geneva for seven nights. This hotel has impressed me as a truly luxury hotel that merits its five-star rating and the money you paid for. Hotel room is clean, tidy and very comfortable. Being an ambassador member, my room was upgraded to a superior lake view room where you could have a panoramic view of the Lake Geneva and enjoyed the beautiful picture of sun rest everyday.

Although the hotel is not located at the town centre, it has convenient bus link (no. 5) that brings you to the Lake Geneva, the Geneva central station (Cornavin, may be my spelling is incorrect) and the airport within 15 minutes. Since visitors staying at any Geneva hotels and hostels are provided with a free travel card during their entire stay, you can enjoy free and trouble-free transport linking you with everywhere within Geneva.

In addition to the hotel's excellent rooms and good location, its swimming pool and well-equipped gym room are things that you should try. The gym room is excellent but the heated outdoor swimming pool is fantastic. It is quite unusual for a city hotel to have such large swimming pool. The swimming pool starts with 0.9m depth at one side up to over 2.5 metres at another side. It is both suitable for non-skilled and skilled swimmers. The pool water was extremely clean - which reflects its good management and maintenance. Of course, the beautiful, polite and helpful pool staff also impressed a lot!

Food prices in the hotel appears quite expensive at first glance. However, if you take into account prices in other Geneva restaurants, the high quality of food and highly comfortably dining environment of the hotel's restaurant, you will find that the hotel's restaurant is value for money. In fact, prices for dining out in Geneva are generally high and IC Geneva is not an exception.

The above mentioned good points should have already merited the hotel an excellent overall rating. But its impressing services has made me to rate it even higher - the best IHG hotels that I have ever stayed during past 20 years. Everyday, I received warm greetings everywhere in the hotel - from room service staff to its management staff (I observed other guests also had such good experience). Whenever we needed any assistance, we would get it efficiently and effectively. Although all its hotel staff are merit for praising, I feel obliged to mention two names in particular -Vincent (the Front Office Supervisor) and Nicolas (concierge staff). Vincent provided great assistance to me all along. Nicolas, this kind and knowledgeable old man, is virtually an encyclopadia of Geneva. If you would like to have insider information about Geneva, he will provide the correct answers promptly and thoroughly.

There are too many good things to mention about this hotel. I will definitely stay in this hotel when I am in Geneva - probably May next year.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JohnCHongKong
Dear Sir,

We are most delighted to read your detailed and very positive feedback following your visit in August. You may be rest assured it was a pleasure welcoming you to the hotel and making your stay a very comfortable and memorable one.
It goes without saying that such very good comments are really important for us and will be of course forwarded to all persons concerned, especially Vincent at the Front Desk and Nicolas from the Concierge team.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon for business or leisure, we remain,