“Beware of minibar charges”

Hotel InterContinental Geneve
Ranked #13 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have stayed many times at this hotel. I even remember the escalators in the lobby which were removed during the latest renovation several years ago. The current lobby is too dark for my taste, but some people like it. Sitting by the fire place in the lobby is very nice and the staff is generally polite. The hotel is VERY expensive, but so are all Geneva's hotels. I have to say that I find breakfast offensively expensive. I guess it is meant for wealthy customers, not for regular business travelers. If you are not ready to splurge about 60$ on it, buy it elsewhere. A pity though, as the breakfast room is not swimming in customers and a more reasonable price would bring in much more customers, as the food is OK (nothing special though). The bottom line, this is a fairly typical Geneva hotel, decent, but no frills and expensive. Beware, however, of minibar charges. The last time I stayed at the hotel, I was charged a hefty amount for the minibar items, which I did not consume. As a matter of fact I did not touch the minibar at all during my stay. At the check out, I informed the reception that I had not used the minibar and paid my bill using a credit card. About a week later, when checking my credit card charges, I found that the hotel had additionally charged my credit card with almost 100$ for the minibar items. I disputed the charge, which is a time consuming affair. But during the dispute, the hotel sent to my credit card company a copy of the invoice, which now incorporated this charge (the invoice I paid did not) and supplied a list of items I supposedly consumed. I almost laughed when I saw the list, because it contained lots of sweets: I watch my weight and do not allow myself more than a small piece of chocolate per day. My advice to travelers staying at this hotel is to make sure that they ask that someone checks the minibar before they pay the bill at check out. It will save them a lot of time and nerves. For the hotel management my message is: clean up your act. For there is a little chance I will stay again at this hotel (as a matter of fact, I am traveling to Geneva in a little while and I have intentionally booked a different hotel). I have also told my colleagues who frequent this hotel to think twice before booking it.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear Madam,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at the InterContinental Genève with the Trip Advisor community.

We do appreciate receiving your detailed feedback, which is quite useful for us, but are for sure sorry to hear that the hotel services disappointed you.

Concerning your remarks on breakfast, as you may probably have read in our previous answers to other Trip Advisor members, our buffet breakfast is average or less expensive than those served in the 5-star properties in town.

Furthermore, please accept our sincere apologies for the incident encountered with the minibar late charge.

Despite all these negative points, we do hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to the InterContinental Genève in a not too distant future.

In the meantime, we remain,

There are newer reviews for Hotel InterContinental Geneve

Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

This is a lovely hotel with everything you need. The restaurant serves delicious but very expensive food and was empty most nights we stayed. Breakfast is lovely and the hotel has a good gym. The only downside for me was the very small bathroom and bath/shower.

• Stayed: January 2013
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear Madam,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at the InterContinental Genève with the Trip Advisor Community.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the hotel. Positive comments such as yours are most important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they will be forwarded to all persons concerned.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon to the hotel, we remain,

Reviewed February 2, 2013

The lobby and restaurant are very elegant. The service is top. However, I couldn't sleep the whole night because I found the window of my room, which faced a main street, very thin. I heard the traffic outside all night, as if there was no window at all. I was very surprised for this level of quality hotel. It would be good if they would invest in improving the bedroom windows.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the main street.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear Madam,

We are most pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the hotel. Good comments such as yours are quite important and useful and you may rest assured that they have been forwarded to the concerned persons.

Regarding your remarks on the room quietness, please be informed that all the guest room windows have been changed recently and are now sound proof and energy saving.

Nevertheless, looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon, we remain,

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Please don't get me wrong, this is a lovely hotel in personally and a great Location, even though it is not the centre of town.

But when used in a five-star hotel respect a five-star hotel.

The fittings in the rooms and I was in the Deluxe Superior room, they are certainly Crowne Plaza standards and not intercontinental.

The bathroom is Holiday Inn express, although the fittings are a very reasonable, but not very high standard, the size of the bathroom is simply ridiculous I have never seen such a small bathroom ever. I know other people have commented on it by still wasn't ready for the shock of it. The bath itself is poor. The bathroom smells of mould, which management must have known about which is why there was a permanent extractor fan working in the bathroom making a noise.

The room was not as clean as it should have been, although still acceptable.

Additionally there was work: near mine which commenced early.

Please don't get me wrong if this was not a intercontinental which should be at the top of five-star hotels the hotel would have been acceptable other then the bathroom, there in the circumstances it simply doesn't cut the mustard.

One final point the bed itself was not intercontinental standards and was due for replacement

The above said for Geneva it was still reasonable.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

We have taken good note of your comments which are quite important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they have been forwarded to all the persons concerned.

Concerning the room furniture, the famous New-Yorker designer Tony Chi was in charge of all the hotel renovation, creating rooms and living spaces with contemporary design and pure lines. Of course we totally understand that this style may not suit to everyone.

Furthermore, we are aware that the bathroom layout does not please some of our guests. However, we have well noted your remark on the mould smell and a proper investigation will be made.

Despite this, we hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel on a future occasion and maybe make you discover another room category.

Looking forward to that pleasure, we remain,

Reviewed January 30, 2013

The hotel is not located directly in the city Center but it is still easy to go anywhere as there is a bus station in front that brings you at the main station or the airport in less than 10 minutes. you can also walk 5 minutes to the UN Headquarter (Nation) and you have several more public transportation options. The room I was given was very bright and very modern. It had a big table , a working desk, a sofa and everything was tasteful and very clean. The internet was free. The only negative point would be that the bathroom was really very small, not at all in relation to the room witch was quiet big.
The general appearance of the hotel including lobby etc is very nice. I was there in the winter so could not use the pool but it seems to be quiet big and I will return this summer and enjoy it.
The staff was very welcoming and friendly, explained everything, remember my name and was very professional. Of course the hotel is not cheap ( what is in Geneva?) but I would definitely return

Dear Sir,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Very good comments such as yours are most important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they will be forwarded to all persons concerned.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in a not too distant future, we remain,

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We spent 1 night at this hotel. It was conveniently located on Bus number 5 which goes to the airport, the main train station and also in the middle of the city. Would like to go back in the Summer to enjoy the outside pool.Staff were very helpful and friendly! When in Geneva We will always pick this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank barryinc0
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the night you spent at the hotel and that the décor and our services were up to your expectations. Good comments such as yours as quite important and useful for us, you may rest assured that they will be forwarded to all persons concerned.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon, we remain,

Reviewed January 29, 2013

This is a nice modern style hotel in Geneva, 10 mins bus distance from city center, 15 mins driving from airport. It's 10 mins walking from united nations EU center and red cross organization center. So generally the location is good for UN staff and conference participants.
I upgraded my room to suite by purchasing intercontinental membership. It's a good deal. you should do it so.
I was told the hotel was just renovated. the rooms, lobby, restaurant do look great! Breakfast is hearty.
However, I was so disgusted with their room service. I would say this is the WORST EVER room service I had. I ordered one smoked salmon, one steak, one salad, all safe food I supposed. But It turned out all disappointing! First of all, there is nothing fancy of plate, tray and dish presentation. the food looked like it just been taken out from fridge. It's not up to the stardard of a high-end 5 star hotel. Secondly, food was not seasoned well, and ingredient quality is poor! salmon barely had flavor, and the steak is very hard to chew.
I wish the hotel management team could realize this food quality won't win their guest back for the second time.

Room Tip: don't order room service

Dear Madam,

We do thank you for your kind comments on the hotel and room décor.

However, please accept our sincerest apologies for the very disappointing and tasteless meal you ordered with room service, which is actually not up to our standards. It goes without saying that your remarks have been forwarded to our F&B department to prevent such an unpleasant situation from reoccurring in the future.

Despite this, we do hope you will give us another chance to welcome you to the hotel and show you our real quality of service.

Looking forward to that pleasure, we remain,