“Great service but thin windows”

Hotel InterContinental Geneve
Ranked #13 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed February 2, 2013

The lobby and restaurant are very elegant. The service is top. However, I couldn't sleep the whole night because I found the window of my room, which faced a main street, very thin. I heard the traffic outside all night, as if there was no window at all. I was very surprised for this level of quality hotel. It would be good if they would invest in improving the bedroom windows.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the main street.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear Madam,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at the InterContinental Genève with the Trip Advisor community.

We are most pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the hotel. Good comments such as yours are quite important and useful and you may rest assured that they have been forwarded to the concerned persons.

Regarding your remarks on the room quietness, please be informed that all the guest room windows have been changed recently and are now sound proof and energy saving.

Nevertheless, looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon, we remain,

There are newer reviews for Hotel InterContinental Geneve

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Please don't get me wrong, this is a lovely hotel in personally and a great Location, even though it is not the centre of town.

But when used in a five-star hotel respect a five-star hotel.

The fittings in the rooms and I was in the Deluxe Superior room, they are certainly Crowne Plaza standards and not intercontinental.

The bathroom is Holiday Inn express, although the fittings are a very reasonable, but not very high standard, the size of the bathroom is simply ridiculous I have never seen such a small bathroom ever. I know other people have commented on it by still wasn't ready for the shock of it. The bath itself is poor. The bathroom smells of mould, which management must have known about which is why there was a permanent extractor fan working in the bathroom making a noise.

The room was not as clean as it should have been, although still acceptable.

Additionally there was work: near mine which commenced early.

Please don't get me wrong if this was not a intercontinental which should be at the top of five-star hotels the hotel would have been acceptable other then the bathroom, there in the circumstances it simply doesn't cut the mustard.

One final point the bed itself was not intercontinental standards and was due for replacement

The above said for Geneva it was still reasonable.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

We have taken good note of your comments which are quite important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they have been forwarded to all the persons concerned.

Concerning the room furniture, the famous New-Yorker designer Tony Chi was in charge of all the hotel renovation, creating rooms and living spaces with contemporary design and pure lines. Of course we totally understand that this style may not suit to everyone.

Furthermore, we are aware that the bathroom layout does not please some of our guests. However, we have well noted your remark on the mould smell and a proper investigation will be made.

Despite this, we hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel on a future occasion and maybe make you discover another room category.

Looking forward to that pleasure, we remain,

Reviewed January 30, 2013

The hotel is not located directly in the city Center but it is still easy to go anywhere as there is a bus station in front that brings you at the main station or the airport in less than 10 minutes. you can also walk 5 minutes to the UN Headquarter (Nation) and you have several more public transportation options. The room I was given was very bright and very modern. It had a big table , a working desk, a sofa and everything was tasteful and very clean. The internet was free. The only negative point would be that the bathroom was really very small, not at all in relation to the room witch was quiet big.
The general appearance of the hotel including lobby etc is very nice. I was there in the winter so could not use the pool but it seems to be quiet big and I will return this summer and enjoy it.
The staff was very welcoming and friendly, explained everything, remember my name and was very professional. Of course the hotel is not cheap ( what is in Geneva?) but I would definitely return

Dear Sir,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at the InterContinental Genève with the Trip Advisor Community.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Very good comments such as yours are most important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they will be forwarded to all persons concerned.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in a not too distant future, we remain,

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We spent 1 night at this hotel. It was conveniently located on Bus number 5 which goes to the airport, the main train station and also in the middle of the city. Would like to go back in the Summer to enjoy the outside pool.Staff were very helpful and friendly! When in Geneva We will always pick this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank barryinc0
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the night you spent at the hotel and that the décor and our services were up to your expectations. Good comments such as yours as quite important and useful for us, you may rest assured that they will be forwarded to all persons concerned.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon, we remain,

Reviewed January 29, 2013

This is a nice modern style hotel in Geneva, 10 mins bus distance from city center, 15 mins driving from airport. It's 10 mins walking from united nations EU center and red cross organization center. So generally the location is good for UN staff and conference participants.
I upgraded my room to suite by purchasing intercontinental membership. It's a good deal. you should do it so.
I was told the hotel was just renovated. the rooms, lobby, restaurant do look great! Breakfast is hearty.
However, I was so disgusted with their room service. I would say this is the WORST EVER room service I had. I ordered one smoked salmon, one steak, one salad, all safe food I supposed. But It turned out all disappointing! First of all, there is nothing fancy of plate, tray and dish presentation. the food looked like it just been taken out from fridge. It's not up to the stardard of a high-end 5 star hotel. Secondly, food was not seasoned well, and ingredient quality is poor! salmon barely had flavor, and the steak is very hard to chew.
I wish the hotel management team could realize this food quality won't win their guest back for the second time.

Room Tip: don't order room service

Dear Madam,

We do thank you for your kind comments on the hotel and room décor.

However, please accept our sincerest apologies for the very disappointing and tasteless meal you ordered with room service, which is actually not up to our standards. It goes without saying that your remarks have been forwarded to our F&B department to prevent such an unpleasant situation from reoccurring in the future.

Despite this, we do hope you will give us another chance to welcome you to the hotel and show you our real quality of service.

Looking forward to that pleasure, we remain,

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I just stayed at the Hotel Intercontinental for 6 nights during a business trip. Even though I am not paying for the hotel myself, but have my company pay, I feel it's not worth the high prices they charge, and does not offer a level or service that merits these prices.

I had a two-room suite on the 7th floor, which was about 800 USD per night. Decor was modern and nice, large living room, large, comfortable bed, but a rather cramped bathroom. There is only a single vanity with very little counter spave and the shower/bathtub is especially inadequate. The bathtub is of a cheap plastic material, a very steep step up and there is a soffit on the ceiling, so i had to stoop and bend to the side to actually fit under the shower head. For this kind of money, I would expect a separate walk-in shower with more space.

I also had several experiences with unfriendly and slow service at this hotel:
-Picking up a letter that was deposited for me, I incorrectly stood in line for the reception desk, rather than the concierge/ bell desk. They are not labeled, and at the time when I got in line, only reception was manned. When I made it to the desk, they just told me I had to go over to the bell desk to get my letter. The concierge there (who had since arrived) was on the phone now, so I had to wait until he was finished. Why can't the person at reception not walk over 10 feet to the next desk to give me my letter?

-Service at the Restaurant was extremely slow when I had dinner there Sunday night. I had to wait rather long for my main course, and the wine I ordered still did not arrive together with the food. Then I had to wait another 25 minutes (!!) for my dessert, and the espresso I ordered did not arrive in time with the dessert. Also, the main course, "Maki" style rolls of chicken breast was cold on the inside and still very pink, which I don't care for much with poultry. Moreover, it was a very small portion, did not come with any kind of starch (rice, potato, etc) and was as such inadequate and not very well balanced for a main course that costs almost 50 USD.

-They serve breakfast until 10.30am. At 10.25, the waiter will make his round, telling everybody that they will close the buffet, so if you want something .... (his sentence trails off there, but i guess the only way to complete it would be "hurry up". And no joke, at precisely 10.30am, they not only stop refilling the buffet, they start clearing off whats on it. I've seen that happen on 2 occasions, and both times there were still at least 8-10 patrons in the restaurant. Considering the high price of their breakfast, this is totally unacceptable. If they allow you in at 10.15, they need to give you the time to finish your breakfast at your speed.

Interesting side note: My room had 2 editions of the book "The Hotelier", the memoirs of their long time Hotel Manager, who apparently worked there from the 1970s to the early 2000s. I found that interesting mainly because in this book, this person indiscriminately celebrates and proudly shows off his handshakes with their clients. And apparently they are equally proud about having had guests like Sophia Loren, George Bush or Kofi Annan on one hand, as they are of shaking hands with international terrorist Muammar Gaddaffi, crazed African Dictators like Mobuto Sese Seko or racist and human rights violator Robert Mugabe. Its one thing shaking hands with these in the 70s or early 1980s, but still celebrating it in a book on display in 2013 is ... at least rubbing me the wrong way.

1  Thank topaz75
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your opinion related to the InterContinental Genève with the Trip Advisor community.

Your inopportune experiences during your recent visit have certainly caught our awareness and we would like to share herewith our feedback with you:

- Concerning the bathroom, we have well noted that you were dissatisfied by its layout and the furniture quality. We do understand that it may not suit to everyone.

- Furthermore, we would like to apologize for the unpleasant situation you encountered at the reception. For your information, Tony Chi – the renowned US designer who was in charge of the hotel renovation, chose not to put any signage in the public areas. It may actually be confusing for our guests. However, even if you have waited in the wrong line, you’re totally right: the reception team should have assisted you in finding your letter instead of letting you deal with the concierge, who was busy at that time.

- We have also taken good note of all your remarks regarding the disappointing service you received on the various moments you were at Woods. You may rest assured that they have been forwarded to the concerned persons so that necessary adjustments can be made and prevent such issues from reoccurring in the future.

Once again, please accept our sincerest apologies for the different concerns painted in your correspondence. Nevertheless, we do hope that you will give us another chance to host you at the InterContinental Genève and show you our vision of the real Swiss hospitality.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

I have been several times in the intercontinental hotel in Geneva for business trips, and of the many hotels there I visited, that is far away the best one. Apart from the high price, that unfortunately is shared by all the other hotels here, the rest is really fantastic: nice rooms (as ambassador you get a free upgrade and view on the lake), fast and very kind service, sauna, fitness, pool and steam bath all included. The town centre is reachable via public transportation easily, same for the airport. Really a pleasure to stay there.

• Stayed: January 2013
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

It is a real pleasure to hear that you spent a comfortable and pleasant stay at the hotel. Such very good comments are most important for us, you may rest assured that they will be forwarded to all team members concerned.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the InterContinental Genève soon, we remain,