“Very modest Intercontinental” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 108 Hotels in Geneva
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
“Very modest Intercontinental”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

Was there for three days. What can I say - this is intercontinental so the quality of service is good, but I would say that breakfast choice could be better. For some reason we had Dim Sum for breakfast. Other than that - you get what you are paying for. However there are cheaper and more centrally located hotels in Geneva.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at the InterContinental Genève with the Trip Advisor Community.

We are most pleased to hear that you enjoyed your last stay with us. Your comments are most important for us and have been of course forwarded to all team members concerned.

We have also taken good note of your remarks concerning the breakfast.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon to the hotel, we remain,

Michel Perret

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed in the intercontinental in Geneva for only one night, for a conference held in the same hotel. The hotel is very nice looking, with excellent facilities, yet it is way overpriced. I understand Switzerland is more expensive then the rest of Europe, but this hotel was expensive for Switzerland... Not only the rooms, but also the beers in the bar, the dinner in the restaurant,... Comparing to other hotels of the same class, it was not more "special", but rather what you expected of such a hotel.

For the rest, it is quite excellent, nice and comfortable rooms, friendly staff,...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Sir,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at the InterContinental Genève with the Trip Advisor community.

We are most pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the InterContinental Genève. Good comments such as yours are quite important and useful and you may rest assured that they have been forwarded to the concerned persons.

Gabon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This hotel is by far one of the best hotels I've stayed. The service is impeccable, everyone would go out of their way to help. The hotel is located conveniently few minutes away from the airport as well as the city center. They provide you with free bus ticket for you to use, and the bus stop is conveniently located across the street. The hotel well decorated from the lobby to the rooms, and i must say the morning breakfast buffet is excellent. I stayed on the 15th floor, which was quieter and had a great view, with one exception which is the bathroom, I found it kind of small, but that shouldn't stop you to stay at this hotel. As for the value, it's a bit steep, but then everything in Geneva is expensive. In summary, I truly enjoyed my stay and would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Higher floors, 15 and up.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Good comments such as yours are most important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they will be forwarded to all persons concerned.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Like all InterContinental Hotels the service here is top notch and perhaps more so because you are in Geneva.

Besides the service what stands out is the beautiful setting of this hotel - both the exterior and interior are designed to make you relax. Located adjacent to the United Nations complex it's somewhat off the beaten path unless you have transportation.
The hotel also has an outdoor heated Olympic pool for the few days when the weather permits its usage.

The rooms on the other hand are a bit snug but manageable for the short-term visitor. Like most hotel rooms in Geneva it's decorated in a modern style and is very aesthetically pleasing. What's not so pleasing is the bathroom. While small and efficient, it lacks a few basics - like room to put ones things (i.e. shaving kit).

Overall, a great hotel if you have business at the U.N. and don;t mind paying the high price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Sir,

Good comments such as yours are most important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they have been forwarded to all persons concerned.

We have also taken good note of your remarks concerning the bathroom.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon, we remain,

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Don't take me wrong, I'm a Royal Ambassador of the IC chain an I've seen worse IHG hotels. IC Genève is an amazing stunning beautiful hotel with superb customer service. I didn't mind staying 10 minutes bus away from the city centre for all of this but realistically a hotel in the rive gauche area can be more handy for those visiting Genève. On top of that and even though I've stayed at a Lake Genève Suite, I couldn't really say that the value was excellent as to me there's seem to be a disconnect between the decoration of the communal areas and the rooms itself. This, the fact that they've forgotten to bring me the breakfast in the morning (on my first day) and because the price could be more reasonable (even though all the prices in Genève are prohibitive) it is the first time in giving a IC hotel a 4 stars - however I must say that the interior and the staff and just perfect.

Mr. Martins Macedo

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Sir,

We are really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the hotel, which was up to your expectations. Good comments such as yours are most important for us and have been duly forwarded to all persons concerned.

However, please accept our apologies for the incident encountered with your breakfast on the first morning. This will not reoccur in the future.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon, we remain,

Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

After having read some of reviews on here I was concerned I would be disappointed, however my worries were unfounded.

The hotel is located half way between the airport and the city centre, and has its own stop on the number 5 bus service, which runs between the airport and the centre. This combined with the tram located a 5 minute walk down the road at the Palais des Nations and Swiss transport infrastructure means that getting to and from anywhere is simple. The hotel also issues you with a free travel card so it costs you nothing either.

Admittedly in the surrounding area there is little to do, no restaurants or bars, the only thing close by is the UN. However in my opinion Geneva isn't exactly a hive of atmosphere so I dont think you really miss much except maybe a lake view, the quick public transport in my opinion negates the distance from the centre.

I was checked in very quickly by a professional reception staff. Being the platinum ambassador I was given the usual upgrade but then offered a upgrade to a junior suite for 90CHF per night, I was feeling flush so elected to do so. Room was very well sized, with a changing area, table and stools, office table, mini sofa and coffee table with 'proper' coffee machine. Bathroom was average sized but big enough, had a shower only but the shower head produced enough water to nearly drown me!

Bed was very comfortable with the usual sinking pillows and had a very good nights sleep. My room had electric blinds fitted so virtually no light got in the room, allowing for as much sleep as possible. The blinds are controlled by switches next to your bed so you could be very lazy! Rooms were clean, modern with and well appointed furniture, everything you expect in a Intercontinental.

My room was on the 15th floor and on the corner so I had 4 windows and a excellent view of Geneva, but sadly no view of the lake...maybe next time! I must admit I never used any more of the hotels facilities as I had other engagements on. The hotel provides free wifi, which is nice for a change at Intercontinental. Staff were professional, exceedingly discret and very helpful, I didn't see any staff outside of the main reception but everything was done and was up to date almost by stealth.

Overall I throughly enjoyed my stay, I would highly recommend staying here when in Geneva, Its location is reasonably placed in my opinion and its staff are discreet, professional and helpful. I have a couple of criticisms. Whilst the Internet was free, the connection was a bit inconsistent and the speed went from very slow to fast, more times than not it was slow, but as it was free I didn't complain. Also my room card wasn't updated when i requested a 4pm check out, so after 12pm on the day of checkout my card stopped working and was locked out. Slightly annoyed having to go all the way down back to reception to get it changed, when other Intercontinental's in the past have done that for me.

However these two small complaints dont knock it down a rating. The hotel rate I thought was competitive for similar hotels in Geneva and the whole city is expensive ! Ive stayed at more expensive hotels where the service was no better, nor the rooms any better appointed. Highly recommended hotel when in Geneva.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Leaping_Deere
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Sir,

We are most delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and its services. Your very good and detailed comments are most important for us and were of course forwarded to all team members concerned.

However, we have taken good note of your remarks concerning the wifi speed and the room key which did not work after 12pm. This kind of inconvenience will be prevented in the future.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon to the hotel , we remain,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I recently stayed at this Intercontinental for several days. I have stayed at other Intercontinental hotels, but none have compared. The staff was welcoming and kind. I forgot my phone charger, but was loaned one for my stay. Housekeeping came regularly and was extremely thorough. The staff was attentive and warm. I am truly looking forward to visiting again soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank skjess
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

It is a real pleasure to hear that you spent an agreeable stay with us. Such good comments are most important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they will be forwarded to all persons concerned.