“Excellent Stay, High Quality InterContinental”

Hotel InterContinental Geneve
Ranked #14 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Excellent Stay, High Quality InterContinental”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

After having read some of reviews on here I was concerned I would be disappointed, however my worries were unfounded.

The hotel is located half way between the airport and the city centre, and has its own stop on the number 5 bus service, which runs between the airport and the centre. This combined with the tram located a 5 minute walk down the road at the Palais des Nations and Swiss transport infrastructure means that getting to and from anywhere is simple. The hotel also issues you with a free travel card so it costs you nothing either.

Admittedly in the surrounding area there is little to do, no restaurants or bars, the only thing close by is the UN. However in my opinion Geneva isn't exactly a hive of atmosphere so I dont think you really miss much except maybe a lake view, the quick public transport in my opinion negates the distance from the centre.

I was checked in very quickly by a professional reception staff. Being the platinum ambassador I was given the usual upgrade but then offered a upgrade to a junior suite for 90CHF per night, I was feeling flush so elected to do so. Room was very well sized, with a changing area, table and stools, office table, mini sofa and coffee table with 'proper' coffee machine. Bathroom was average sized but big enough, had a shower only but the shower head produced enough water to nearly drown me!

Bed was very comfortable with the usual sinking pillows and had a very good nights sleep. My room had electric blinds fitted so virtually no light got in the room, allowing for as much sleep as possible. The blinds are controlled by switches next to your bed so you could be very lazy! Rooms were clean, modern with and well appointed furniture, everything you expect in a Intercontinental.

My room was on the 15th floor and on the corner so I had 4 windows and a excellent view of Geneva, but sadly no view of the lake...maybe next time! I must admit I never used any more of the hotels facilities as I had other engagements on. The hotel provides free wifi, which is nice for a change at Intercontinental. Staff were professional, exceedingly discret and very helpful, I didn't see any staff outside of the main reception but everything was done and was up to date almost by stealth.

Overall I throughly enjoyed my stay, I would highly recommend staying here when in Geneva, Its location is reasonably placed in my opinion and its staff are discreet, professional and helpful. I have a couple of criticisms. Whilst the Internet was free, the connection was a bit inconsistent and the speed went from very slow to fast, more times than not it was slow, but as it was free I didn't complain. Also my room card wasn't updated when i requested a 4pm check out, so after 12pm on the day of checkout my card stopped working and was locked out. Slightly annoyed having to go all the way down back to reception to get it changed, when other Intercontinental's in the past have done that for me.

However these two small complaints dont knock it down a rating. The hotel rate I thought was competitive for similar hotels in Geneva and the whole city is expensive ! Ive stayed at more expensive hotels where the service was no better, nor the rooms any better appointed. Highly recommended hotel when in Geneva.

1 Thank Leaping_Deere
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Sir,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at the InterContinental Genève with the Trip Advisor Community.

We are most delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and its services. Your very good and detailed comments are most important for us and were of course forwarded to all team members concerned.

However, we have taken good note of your remarks concerning the wifi speed and the room key which did not work after 12pm. This kind of inconvenience will be prevented in the future.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon to the hotel , we remain,

Michel Perret

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

I recently stayed at this Intercontinental for several days. I have stayed at other Intercontinental hotels, but none have compared. The staff was welcoming and kind. I forgot my phone charger, but was loaned one for my stay. Housekeeping came regularly and was extremely thorough. The staff was attentive and warm. I am truly looking forward to visiting again soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank skjess
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

It is a real pleasure to hear that you spent an agreeable stay with us. Such good comments are most important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they will be forwarded to all persons concerned.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon to the hotel, we remain,

Central
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

The Intercontinental Hotel has everything a 4-5 star hotel could wish for. Nicely appointed modern rooms (on the larger side - albeit small bathroom), amenities, excellent service, very good breakfast, clean, ability and space to accomodate large conferences...but it is located in a non descript neighbourhood. Not a problem in itself but not being on or close to Lake Geneva, you do not feel the Geneva atmosphere. Of course cabs (20-25 sf), buses or a 30 min. walk will get you on to the downtown lakefront but...it's not the same. I would prefer to stay next time in a downtown hotel.

Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Very good comments such as yours are most important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they will be forwarded to all persons concerned.

For your information, we are actually not located near in the lake and the city center but, thanks to the Geneva transportation free pass and the bus stop just in front of the hotel, you can easily and quickly go downtown (10-15 minutes).

Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

My wife and I traveled all over in Europe and this was the most expensive hotel with an average service and accomodation. Small room for what you pay and the service it's ok. I would not stay in this hotel anymore.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Sir,

We truly regret to hear that your spouse and you did not have a comfortable and pleasant stay at the hotel. Your comments have been well noted.

Wising you a nice day, we remain,

Rapperswil, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

first time i stayed at the interconti, and i have to say that i was quite dispointed. the hotel is located between the airport and the city, which is not so comfortable, as one always needs to take a bus or taxi to go downtown. the cab ride is abt 20 sfr.....
the rooms and the hotel are ok, although one could expect more at this pricelevel. the bathroom for example only has a bathtub and no designated shower....showering in the bathtub is ok, if u are not taler than 185cm...because u start hitting your head on the airduct.
the wifi was very slow and after a while i just used 3g as it was faster.....

the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful, but my next stay in geneva will be again in the kempinski or president wilson....their location is just more comfortable and the prices are very similar. also i find the rooms in these 2 hotels much better and more comfortable.

Dear Sir,

We are really sorry to hear that the hotel did not completely meet your expectations and have taken good note of your comments.

For your information, we are actually not located near in the city center but, thanks to the Geneva transportation free pass, you can easily go downtown in 10-15 minutes. Furthermore, the bus stop is just in front of the hotel.

Concerning our wifi connection, kindly note that it is usually very good. However, there were maybe a lot of persons connected at that time in the hotel…

Wishing you a nice day, we remain,

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

It's good but not that good to merit a very good rating. It suffers from trying to please both business and pleasure visitors. The restaurant closes at 10.30 in the morning for breakfast with Swiss timing and efficiency. The MD could have given us a heads up as we walked in at 10.25. We felt like we were hoarding for a national disaster to claim back some of the steep chf 46 bfast charge! - ah but its the best in Geneva...The free travelcard is good, the location is good for not being in the middle of town, which makes it nice and quiet especially being so close to the airport. The rooms are great, although the bathroom fan was nowhere to be seen. The desk is non existent despite the free internet. The internet keyboard is hidden in the cupboard with the extra pillows. Its expensive but you don't get made to feel fluffed when you are outside of your room and the services offered makes you feel they are mere addons like the spa/pool, I think it needs a bigger better restaurant and the lobby bar needs to open out more to make it more of a premier hotel that it aspires to. what makes definately makes up for it though is the level of service. which is good.

Room Tip: go high and away from the elvators - i had 1121 and can recommend
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Your detailed feedback has been highly appreciated, you may rest assured that they will be forwarded to all respective managers concerned.

We have taken good note of your various comments, especially the one concerning the disappointing situation you encountered at breakfast time. You are totally right, our Head Waiter should have informed you about the breakfast hours and been more flexible so that you could enjoy your breakfast as you were entitled. So please kindly accept our sincere apologies for not having offered you the quality of service you were expected on that point.

Despite this, we do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon to the hotel, for business travel or leisure.
In the meantime, we remain,

Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

Upon entry, you notice that this is a sleek, modern hotel, though devoid of local character. Basically your standard, upscale businessperson’s hotel. It is contemporary and has all the expected conveniences, plus free and fast Internet. The only pool is an outdoor one, and I didn’t try the exercise room or spa services, so I can’t comment on those.

I was informed upon check-in that, as an Ambassador member, I was upgraded to a “deluxe” room. The room seemed to be a typical size, so I think the only deluxe part was the view of the lake and mountains. But it was appreciated nonetheless. You can crack the top of the window open if you want fresh air, but you can’t open it very far. The king bed I had was very comfortable, making it difficult to get up for my meetings! There is a long desk for working, but it is pretty narrow. There is an electric kettle in the room, equipped with supplies for tea and coffee, plus, of course, an expensive mini-bar. My floor was very quiet, though I did see other guests coming and going, so the rooms seem to be quite soundproof.

The bathroom is very small, though perfectly functional. There is no counter space, so you are out of luck if you like to spread your cosmetics/toiletries around. The shower is a powerful, “rainfall” type shower with plenty of hot water. Nice fluffy robes are provided. If you need a hairdryer, it is located in one of the small clothing drawers, not in the bathroom.

I had a very nice club sandwich at the lobby/bar café, next to a (gas lit) fireplace, which was cozy. The food is very good, but expensive (what isn’t in Geneva?). I'm not a big breakfast person so I didn't try the buffet breakfast.

The hotel is only about 10-15 minutes by taxi from the airport. For my meetings at the United Nations, all I had to do was walk down the hill for about 10 minutes and I was there. If it is raining you can catch the #5 bus right next to the hotel, it is just 1 stop to the UN (stop is called “Nations”). The hotel provided me with a free transit card (which seems to be the case at all hotels in Geneva). Geneva is a small city with a well-functioning public transportation system, so the hotel location is not really an issue. I liked being able to walk to my meetings at the UN, and the #5 bus or the #15 tram (from Nations) take you quickly into town. I took public transport all over Geneva and it was very easy to figure out.

What took the cake (forgive the pun) for this InterCon is that on my birthday, I was surprised to find a large and decadent piece of chocolate cake and a small bottle of champagne chilling in my room after returning from a long day of meetings. I hadn’t informed anyone that it was my birthday, but I guess someone noticed from my passport or Ambassador information. This was a very unexpected surprise, at an age which I don’t really get excited about gaining another year ; ). I would definitely return to this hotel for my next business trip to Geneva.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 2ksmom
Dear Madam,

It is a real pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay with us last October. Your very good and detailed feedback is most important for us and was of course forwarded to all team members concerned.

Furthermore, we were more than delighted to brighten your day with the surprise chocolate cake and its champagne.

Please be assured that, should your plans bring you back soon to the City of Calvin, we will be really pleased to welcome you to the hotel again.

Best regards,