After having read some of reviews on here I was concerned I would be disappointed, however my worries were unfounded.
The hotel is located half way between the airport and the city centre, and has its own stop on the number 5 bus service, which runs between the airport and the centre. This combined with the tram located a 5 minute walk down the road at the Palais des Nations and Swiss transport infrastructure means that getting to and from anywhere is simple. The hotel also issues you with a free travel card so it costs you nothing either.
Admittedly in the surrounding area there is little to do, no restaurants or bars, the only thing close by is the UN. However in my opinion Geneva isn't exactly a hive of atmosphere so I dont think you really miss much except maybe a lake view, the quick public transport in my opinion negates the distance from the centre.
I was checked in very quickly by a professional reception staff. Being the platinum ambassador I was given the usual upgrade but then offered a upgrade to a junior suite for 90CHF per night, I was feeling flush so elected to do so. Room was very well sized, with a changing area, table and stools, office table, mini sofa and coffee table with 'proper' coffee machine. Bathroom was average sized but big enough, had a shower only but the shower head produced enough water to nearly drown me!
Bed was very comfortable with the usual sinking pillows and had a very good nights sleep. My room had electric blinds fitted so virtually no light got in the room, allowing for as much sleep as possible. The blinds are controlled by switches next to your bed so you could be very lazy! Rooms were clean, modern with and well appointed furniture, everything you expect in a Intercontinental.
My room was on the 15th floor and on the corner so I had 4 windows and a excellent view of Geneva, but sadly no view of the lake...maybe next time! I must admit I never used any more of the hotels facilities as I had other engagements on. The hotel provides free wifi, which is nice for a change at Intercontinental. Staff were professional, exceedingly discret and very helpful, I didn't see any staff outside of the main reception but everything was done and was up to date almost by stealth.
Overall I throughly enjoyed my stay, I would highly recommend staying here when in Geneva, Its location is reasonably placed in my opinion and its staff are discreet, professional and helpful. I have a couple of criticisms. Whilst the Internet was free, the connection was a bit inconsistent and the speed went from very slow to fast, more times than not it was slow, but as it was free I didn't complain. Also my room card wasn't updated when i requested a 4pm check out, so after 12pm on the day of checkout my card stopped working and was locked out. Slightly annoyed having to go all the way down back to reception to get it changed, when other Intercontinental's in the past have done that for me.
However these two small complaints dont knock it down a rating. The hotel rate I thought was competitive for similar hotels in Geneva and the whole city is expensive ! Ive stayed at more expensive hotels where the service was no better, nor the rooms any better appointed. Highly recommended hotel when in Geneva.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The InterContinental 5-star luxury hotel, newly redesigned provides amazing views of the Mont Blanc, of Lake Geneva and Geneva City. It's a 3-minute walk from the United Nations and within a 5-minute drive from the International Centre of Congress CICG and the Palexpo Exhibition Centre. The spacious and elegant 333 rooms and Suites at the InterContinental Geneva have free Wi-Fi, free tea and coffee-making facilities, are air-conditioned and feature cable TV. Dining options include modern international cuisine and seasonal specialties served in the gourmet restaurant, which features a well-stocked wine cellar and a terrace. At the bar Les Nations, guests can enjoy a wide range of drinks, listen to live piano music, and browse in books and magazines. A sophisticated urban-style bar, Le Fumoir seduces you with its original cocktails and a selection of international cigars. The 4306 ft² Spa by Clarins provides a complete set of beauty and massage treatments. The health and fitness center is open 24 hours and there's a seasonal outdoor pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, IHG, Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Jetsetter and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel InterContinental Geneve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Hotel Geneva
- Intercontinental Hotel Geneve