“Don't worth what you pay for”

Hotel InterContinental Geneve
Ranked #13 of 109 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My wife and I traveled all over in Europe and this was the most expensive hotel with an average service and accomodation. Small room for what you pay and the service it's ok. I would not stay in this hotel anymore.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Dear Sir,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at the InterContinental Genève with the Trip Advisor Community.

We truly regret to hear that your spouse and you did not have a comfortable and pleasant stay at the hotel. Your comments have been well noted.

Wising you a nice day, we remain,

Reviewed November 15, 2012

first time i stayed at the interconti, and i have to say that i was quite dispointed. the hotel is located between the airport and the city, which is not so comfortable, as one always needs to take a bus or taxi to go downtown. the cab ride is abt 20 sfr.....
the rooms and the hotel are ok, although one could expect more at this pricelevel. the bathroom for example only has a bathtub and no designated shower....showering in the bathtub is ok, if u are not taler than 185cm...because u start hitting your head on the airduct.
the wifi was very slow and after a while i just used 3g as it was faster.....

the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful, but my next stay in geneva will be again in the kempinski or president wilson....their location is just more comfortable and the prices are very similar. also i find the rooms in these 2 hotels much better and more comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Sir,

We are really sorry to hear that the hotel did not completely meet your expectations and have taken good note of your comments.

For your information, we are actually not located near in the city center but, thanks to the Geneva transportation free pass, you can easily go downtown in 10-15 minutes. Furthermore, the bus stop is just in front of the hotel.

Concerning our wifi connection, kindly note that it is usually very good. However, there were maybe a lot of persons connected at that time in the hotel…

Wishing you a nice day, we remain,

Reviewed November 12, 2012

It's good but not that good to merit a very good rating. It suffers from trying to please both business and pleasure visitors. The restaurant closes at 10.30 in the morning for breakfast with Swiss timing and efficiency. The MD could have given us a heads up as we walked in at 10.25. We felt like we were hoarding for a national disaster to claim back some of the steep chf 46 bfast charge! - ah but its the best in Geneva...The free travelcard is good, the location is good for not being in the middle of town, which makes it nice and quiet especially being so close to the airport. The rooms are great, although the bathroom fan was nowhere to be seen. The desk is non existent despite the free internet. The internet keyboard is hidden in the cupboard with the extra pillows. Its expensive but you don't get made to feel fluffed when you are outside of your room and the services offered makes you feel they are mere addons like the spa/pool, I think it needs a bigger better restaurant and the lobby bar needs to open out more to make it more of a premier hotel that it aspires to. what makes definately makes up for it though is the level of service. which is good.

Room Tip: go high and away from the elvators - i had 1121 and can recommend
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Your detailed feedback has been highly appreciated, you may rest assured that they will be forwarded to all respective managers concerned.

We have taken good note of your various comments, especially the one concerning the disappointing situation you encountered at breakfast time. You are totally right, our Head Waiter should have informed you about the breakfast hours and been more flexible so that you could enjoy your breakfast as you were entitled. So please kindly accept our sincere apologies for not having offered you the quality of service you were expected on that point.

Despite this, we do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon to the hotel, for business travel or leisure.
In the meantime, we remain,

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Upon entry, you notice that this is a sleek, modern hotel, though devoid of local character. Basically your standard, upscale businessperson’s hotel. It is contemporary and has all the expected conveniences, plus free and fast Internet. The only pool is an outdoor one, and I didn’t try the exercise room or spa services, so I can’t comment on those.

I was informed upon check-in that, as an Ambassador member, I was upgraded to a “deluxe” room. The room seemed to be a typical size, so I think the only deluxe part was the view of the lake and mountains. But it was appreciated nonetheless. You can crack the top of the window open if you want fresh air, but you can’t open it very far. The king bed I had was very comfortable, making it difficult to get up for my meetings! There is a long desk for working, but it is pretty narrow. There is an electric kettle in the room, equipped with supplies for tea and coffee, plus, of course, an expensive mini-bar. My floor was very quiet, though I did see other guests coming and going, so the rooms seem to be quite soundproof.

The bathroom is very small, though perfectly functional. There is no counter space, so you are out of luck if you like to spread your cosmetics/toiletries around. The shower is a powerful, “rainfall” type shower with plenty of hot water. Nice fluffy robes are provided. If you need a hairdryer, it is located in one of the small clothing drawers, not in the bathroom.

I had a very nice club sandwich at the lobby/bar café, next to a (gas lit) fireplace, which was cozy. The food is very good, but expensive (what isn’t in Geneva?). I'm not a big breakfast person so I didn't try the buffet breakfast.

The hotel is only about 10-15 minutes by taxi from the airport. For my meetings at the United Nations, all I had to do was walk down the hill for about 10 minutes and I was there. If it is raining you can catch the #5 bus right next to the hotel, it is just 1 stop to the UN (stop is called “Nations”). The hotel provided me with a free transit card (which seems to be the case at all hotels in Geneva). Geneva is a small city with a well-functioning public transportation system, so the hotel location is not really an issue. I liked being able to walk to my meetings at the UN, and the #5 bus or the #15 tram (from Nations) take you quickly into town. I took public transport all over Geneva and it was very easy to figure out.

What took the cake (forgive the pun) for this InterCon is that on my birthday, I was surprised to find a large and decadent piece of chocolate cake and a small bottle of champagne chilling in my room after returning from a long day of meetings. I hadn’t informed anyone that it was my birthday, but I guess someone noticed from my passport or Ambassador information. This was a very unexpected surprise, at an age which I don’t really get excited about gaining another year ; ). I would definitely return to this hotel for my next business trip to Geneva.

1  Thank 2ksmom

Dear Madam,

It is a real pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay with us last October. Your very good and detailed feedback is most important for us and was of course forwarded to all team members concerned.

Furthermore, we were more than delighted to brighten your day with the surprise chocolate cake and its champagne.

Please be assured that, should your plans bring you back soon to the City of Calvin, we will be really pleased to welcome you to the hotel again.

Best regards,

Reviewed October 16, 2012

The Hotel InterContinental is about a five minute walk up a slight hill from the United Nations. It can be easily accessed by the #5 bus from the airport or from the center of Geneva itself. There's a bus stop adjacent to the hotel. Given the free travel pass within Geneva for visitors, this is the most convenient and least expensive method of transferring to the hotel from the airport. While the hotel is not in downtown Geneva, again, the #5 bus or the tram from the UN both provide quick service to center city at no cost to the visitor.

The hotel itself has a quiet and well-staffed lobby environment; check-in was rapid, and I was permitted to check in to my room at 9am local time after a red-eye flight from the US, an unexpected and pleasantly-received bonus. I had been sure to include breakfast in my room rate so took advantage of that fact as well. Breakfast, the only meal I had at the hotel, was wonderful, with Japanese, Chinese, and local menus included as part of the buffet. Local meats, smoked salmon, cheeses, and a wide array of both hot and cold dishes were all available with an excellent presentation and maintenance throughout the meal service. Eggs in all styles of cookery were available as were various breads. Breakfast alone made this a wonderful stay.

As for the room, it was a comfortable and well-equipped room slightly smaller than typical US accommodations. The heating system was quiet and the shade for the window darkened the room thoroughly. On the 15th floor, some road noise can be heard but it was in no way annoying. The bathroom has a nicely adjusted shower, bidet, and single sink with good lighting and extensive mirrors for ease of shaving. The bathroom is a slight step above the room level as if it might have radiant heating, but the floor was room temperature. The bath towels are hung on a warming radiator, but the radiator was cold and had no apparent switch to turn it on. The room has multiple outlets of the angled three prong Swiss variety, a two prong European standard, and a US outlet. My US outlet did not work so I obtained a converter from the front desk that allowed me to use my 120/220 capable computer adaptors. Room lighting is somewhat on the dim side overall. Phone calls to me from the States were quickly and properly sent to my room and the room phone has speaker and conferencing capabilities. WiFi is included in the room rate - the wifi is smoother than most stateside facilities and did not require constant entering of the password each time I woke my computer from sleep. The bed was comfortable with a somewhat firm base and warm duvet cover. No bedside clock is present. Lighting can be turned on from the bed and has a pleasing slow ramp-up speed. Rooms are served by four elevators and I never found there to be a long wait.

Overall, the stay was very comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear Sir,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your last stay at the hotel. Warm and detailed comments such as yours are most important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they will be forwarded to all persons concerned.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon, we remain,

Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed three nights at this hotel on a business trip and was extremely impressed with the hotel facilities and the quality of the service / staff. Everybdy from the doorman, bellboy, reception, concierge, restaurant and bar staff could not have been more friendly or professional.

The hotel building looks very 80s from the outside. In contrast, as soon as you enter the hotel, everything is very chic with an understated opulence. I particularly liked the wood art behind reception as well as the wooden table on the way to the restaurant. My room on the other hand took me back in time a bit: while comfortable and providing all the basic needs, it was very dated and failed in design aesthetics. The bathroom could also use a some improvement and the bath tub has no non-slip aids which can be quite a nuisance. Breakfast is quite good but could use some improvements such as a wider selection and maybe a live cooking station for omelettes, pancakes, etc... The bar has a decent selection of whiskeys which were very welcomed at the end of a long day of meetings.

Although not in the centre, getting there is very easy as the hotel provides a free public transport card for the duration of your stay. Naturally, taxis are also readily available. There are a couple of very good casual restaurants very close to the hotel: Café du Soleil for excellent fondue and Le Point du Jour for excellent pasta. both less that 10 minutes walk from the hotel.

Overall I was very pleased with this hotel and would probably stay there again if I am back in Geneva.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Dear Sir,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at the InterContinental Genève with the Trip Advisor community.

We are most pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Very good comments such as yours are quite important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they have been forwarded to the concerned persons.

Concerning the décor, the famous New-Yorker designer Tony Chi was in charge of all the hotel renovation, creating rooms and living spaces with contemporary design and pure lines. Of course we totally understand that this style may not suit to everyone.

We have also taken good note of your remarks on the breakfast.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcome you back to the InterContinental Genève, we remain,

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Recently I had a short stay at the hotel. While it is not in the city center, the location is actually not bad and is adjacent to a bus stop which connects the airport to the city center and going in either direction takes just 5 minutes. Moreover , every visitor is provided with a free journey pass that's valid on all the local transport - something really excellent.
Check in was average and being an Ambassador card holder I was upgraded from a standard room to a deluxe room. Apparently the difference is in the view only as the room was really tiny to say the least. It had a comfortable king bed a tiny compact bathroom but had all the necessary amenities. I had a good view of the city ahead as well as the lake. They had forgotten to provide the amenities given to ambassadors and I had to remind them. This included 2 apples, 1 bottle of sparkling water, 1 still water and a small box of chocolates.
All the staff were very nice and friendly and helpful as well. Check out was a breeze too. This is one the properties where using your reward points is very beneficial as the rack rate of this tiny room was over a thousand Swiss francs! Everything in Switzerland is ever so expensive and the hotel is therefore no exception.
The only drawback of this hotel is that it lacks a Club lounge and there are no convenience stores or supermarkets next to it. Otherwise I have been overall very happy and would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. Good comments such as yours are most important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they will be forwarded to all persons concerned.

We have also taken good note of your remarks concerning the check-in and check-out as well as the missing amenities in your room.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon, we remain,