“Enjoyed our stay”

Ranked #81 of 105 Hotels in Geneva
London, United Kingdom
“Enjoyed our stay”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Just a quick review as this was a short business trip. We stayed at this hotel attending a conference close by. The room price was high reflecting its location in Geneva, however, we did not find the stay as unpleasant as other reviewers.
Breakfast was fine, nothing to write home about. My room on the fifth floor was large and spotlessly clean. The shower was also fine. I did not find the location noisy either and got two nights of good sleep on a large and comfortable bed. The wifi worked fine as well although you could not probably not stream much. My face-time connection dropped now and then but on the whole it worked.
The reception staff were extremely helpful and responsive. The location has been justifiably criticised, however, the red-light district is small and a walk down the street and a few blocks further on takes you into normal parts of town.
In short, I would not travel here on a holiday, but no substantial deficits to report either beyond its location in the red light district.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank CharlesvonLondon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Norther Ireland
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

Stayed 1 night, after skiing the Alps. Nice hotel, great room 502
Breakfast was included in the rate. If you did have to pay, I would say, not value for money. Great location as near the train station for the Airport. Eating out
Very expensive for the portion size you get.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank MorganNortherIreland
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We stayed here for three nights. the room we had was small but our friends was quite large.The rooms are clean and tidy with comfortable beds. The hotel was very basic in decoration but good value for money as it is Geneva. The check in was quick and easy with a friendly guy who spoke good English. The only down side is the position as it is in the red light district and you had to walk past loads of men hanging around and the working girls. Overall if you are there for a few nights clean safe average continental breakfast so good value overall.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Hotel WINDSOR located in a few blocks from the main Geneva rail station. My room at the 4th floor faced the back street, so it was no street noise. However, walls are thin, and sometime you can hear sounds from rooms around. Room is small. Hotel and room are clean, Wi-Fi in the room is OK. Front desk staff is friendly and helpful, they can store luggage if you depart after check-out time. Buffet breakfast includes boiled eggs, a few sorts of cold meat, cheese, muesli, jam, fruits, bread and butter as well as milk, juice, coffee and tea. There are a lot of kebab shops at Rue de Bern around the hotel entrance, and yes, some girls are also there. To avoid them, you can use another hotel entrance from the Rue de Neuchatel. There were hotel guests with kids. Overall, the hotel is a good value for money.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Munich, Germany
Reviewed March 7, 2014

I stay there since several years for the press days of the Autosalon. Rooms are very hard to retrieve and very expensive all over Geneva during this time. So I am happy to pay CHF 250 for this hotel. Rooms have been renovated and are very clean. The bath room is very small and this year I experienced low water pressure. It took some time to take a shower. Breakfast is also ok. Staff is very friendly. The surounding is getting worst every year, but so far I had no problem with the red-light-people. The hotel is ideally located for reaching the airport, the town center, the lake and even the opposite side of the lake can be reached easily by foot. But it is not recommended for long stays.

Room Tip: Rooms to the inside of the hotel and beginning at the second floor are quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I booked this hotel for one night in late February via lastminute.com. Paid 66.34 GBP, or approximately 111 USD. So considering the fact it was Geneva where prices are extravagantly high, I guess I shouldn't complain too much.
At check-in I was happy to see the modern decor in the lobby -- clean and well-kept. Also, check-in was very efficient and they even let me check in before the listed check-in time. And of course I got my ticket for free use of public transportation within the city (which if I understand correctly, is given at ALL hotels in Geneva).
The room was extremely simple, just the bare basics. And the shower was very tiny. The room was clean, but in need of maintenance. In other words, there was paint peeling off in more than one place, with underlying brick exposed as well in a corner. There was a safe in the closet, however it was locked shut. Perhaps the previous tenant left it that way? No idea; however I would have thought the cleaning staff would have arranged to have it opened on the room change-over. As for the TV, there were a handful of channels, but all the English language channels were unclear and thus I really only had audio. Perhaps biggest complaint for me was the extremely thin walls. I could hear the guests (and their television!) in the adjoining rooms. It was quite a put-off, especially when at some point I thought somebody was coughing up his lungs in the room next door. Not pleasant at all...
Upon check-out I was notified that I had to pay something like 3.50 Swiss Franc as a city tax. And this could NOT be put on my credit card. I wish they would have notified me about this when I originally checked in because I was departing Switzerland and had already spent all my Swiss francs. So, I had to pay with what few euros I had left. And of course the exchange rate used was to my disadvantage...
On a positive note, I checked out at 5am, but since my reservation included breakfast, the desk attendant allowed me to get a cup of coffee and croissant from the kitchen even though the dining room was not open yet. And he gave me very clear directions on the quickest way to get to the train station.
Finally, previous reviews commented about the location of the hotel within the red light district. There is nothing more I can add to this. When I walked through the neighborhood I walked confidently at a brisk pace, and nobody caused me any problems.
Overall, I would say the hotel is very simple and sufficient, with a handful of problems. But if budget is a concern, then it will do...

Room Tip: Room 205 has extremely thin walls and you can hear everything in adjoining rooms...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Martin G

Travelers are raving about these Geneva hotels

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed March 1, 2014

We stayed at Hotel Windsor for only one night, but had a nice stay non the less. The hotel is in a great location for public transport to and from the airport. Make use of the free public transport to get from the airport to the hotel or it will set you back close to 40EURO by taxi.

Hotel WIndsor is walking distance to the Old Town of Geneva. The room was very tiny, fitting merely a large comfortable king bed and a side table but the room was clean as well as the attached bathroom. Breakfast is included in your room rate and although basic was nice enough to start the day!

It is perhaps a little pricey for what you are getting but this is simply Switzerland. Most hotels are massively overpriced when compared to other hotels of a similar standard around the globe! Hotel Windsor is definitely recommended for a "cheap" stay in Geneva.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple