“Good value for money”
Review of Hotel Moderne

Hotel Moderne
Ranked #90 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The place does look like a 1970s film-set, but it is very clean, with friendly and efficient staff. The breakfast is decent and the location is very good. For a 1-2 night stay in which you will only be at the hotel for short periods of time, it is a very good choice.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed April 20, 2014

The rooms are small but clean, well equipped and totally adequate. The location outstanding, just 3 block from Cornavin which is the central rail station. Staff are friendly and I heard then speaking fluently in English, German and Italian as well as French. The breakfast is excellent value. They were very helpful about looking after my luggage when I checked out for one night.

Room Tip: I do not know if any of the rooms have baths. Both I stayed in had showers. If you need a bath, ch...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in Geneva the second day. Very comfortable hotel. Right beside the centrale, and it is very near to train station. Macdonalds is right beside. Lake geneva is 5 mins walk down. Beautiful place with great hotel right in the heart of city. Good service, and very polite customer services.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Its located close to train station . The lake is nearby. Staff was friendly. They gave us a map and happily gave guidance about what and how to visit. Rooms are comfortable. Its a good choice for those on a budget. Finally, breakfast was good too.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
Reviewed March 20, 2014

The bill is to high for the confort of this hotel.
Wall are to thin and listening to rooms close to me is not the best way to sleep well.
breakfeast and service kindess is very good but the hotel is too old... not modern :)

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I stayed at Hotel Moderne for one night this week, before I had a flight home. It was pretty easy to find, and my room was ready when I got there. I had a single en suite room on the 6th floor, facing an inner square or courtyard. The elevator was so small, I could barely turn around while wearing my backpack, and the lift was ancient. My room was at the end of a long, narrow hallway which was pitch black even in the middle of the day, but had motion sensor lights. I noticed water closets and shower rooms in the hallway. I didn't know if was partially a hostel.

My room had a small bathroom with shower, sink, and toilet, and a single twin bed, desk, and TV. The room had laminate wood floors and must have been recently painted, because the room reeked of paint. So bad, that I had to keep the windows open to air it out. The room was clean but spartan and depressing. I borrowed a hair dryer that night from reception, and after 5 minutes of use, the power went out on my floor!! I was left in pitch black, and had to make my way down to reception to get help. Luckily I had my cell phone to provide some light, but it was pretty scary as a solo female traveler to be stuck in the darkness. It took 20 min for someone to come fix the power, and it was fine after that.

At the stroke of a 8am the next morning, construction began in the inner square/courtyard. This involved jackhammers and lots of noise and yelling. I realize the hotel has no control over this, but it would have been nice to know at check in so I could negotiate a room away from the construction.

Breakfast was a grim affair, and I ate and checked out as quickly as possible. You definitely get what you paid for, and I wanted something affordable, but not a place as depressing as this.

Room Tip: Ask if construction is still going on behind the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo