“Great stay.”

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Great stay.”
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Hi there.
My husband and I went to Geneva for the first time, and we found our 4 day break very restful and interesting. We stayed at the Hotel Auteuil - and despite being a little concerned due to the recent negative reviews on this website... we must tell you that we founf the hotel absolutely fine.
It is pretty well located - only a 10 minute stroll to the "foutnain" and another few minutes will take you into the old part of the city which suited us well. Yes, there are seedy parts to Geneva - but there again which city doesn't have these? It's easy once you find yourself in the "sexier" parts to easlity walk away to another street. Can't say we felt threatened or uneasy at all though saying that we didn't choose to stay in this area - there were obviously many who did.
What we enjoyed was the fact that there wasn't all that much to see if compared with other European destinations e.g. Barcelone / Paris... but this was exactly what we wanted - we didn't go with the idea of rushing around to see all the sights - though there were plenty of shops and historical buildings - should you find these / museums of particular interest to you. We just wandered around and did some shopping - there are plenty of stores and souvenir stores, so you wont't get bored!
The hotel staff were extremely welcoming. When we arrived - our room was ready. I must admit that the reviews promprted me to request a front view room (overlooking the street). It wasn't noisey.... if you didn't open your window at night - I suppose the only negative comment is that we found the hotel room very warm, and the air conditioning didn't seem to have much effect during our visit?
We chose to stay on a room only basis - and this is perfect for those who want to sample other places - there is no shortage of cafes / places to dine near to the hotel, and the cuisine is varied e.g. Italian, french chinese, indian etc. Of course if you wish there is always McDonalds and Pizza Hut - so something for everyone. We actually bought a few pastries and had these in our room before heading out for the day - whilst there was no kettle or tea/coffee making facilities in the room when we arrived - there was a notice in the room offering complimentary trays which could be brought to your room - we got one each day - and there was no problem getting the tray replenshed at all at any time.
Housekeeping standard was fine/average, and the staff servicing the rooms were friendly though didn't speak much English.
Regretfully we can't comment ion the restaurant food as we didn't dine -but we did have room service one night - and this was fine too - we had pizza's. To be honest, they didn't work out all that costly when compared to eating out in the restaurants (which we did find rather a little more expensive than we expected).
Room facilities were fine, the size of the room was more than adaquate - safe in the room, fridge, internet access and check out was a very painless process.

We would like to give a specail mention to Vera - she was on reception duties when we arrived and when we checked out - nothing was too much trouble for her - she was pleasant, friendly and professional throughout our stay. It was good to have her itnroduce us to the hotel and to have her say goodbye.

Room Tip: Complimentary tea tray when you ask!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Valtpal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2011

This hotel was nice but also nothing special...

Highlights
-Really close to the central station -- only a very short walk. Thus also quite close to the highlights of the city
-Really clean

Other than that, there wasn't anything particularly special. The rooms were fine enough, as was the service. The price was expensive for what you got, but Geneva hotels seem to be really really expensive so I guess seen from that, it was to be expected. Breakfast was ridiculously expensive though, so we did not take it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed March 31, 2011

Stayed here from Sunday night through to Friday. The receptionist wasn't that welcoming and it felt like I was disturbing his rest. I had to ask for the free travel card, my wireless logons and even direction to the lift.

There is no room service at this hotel after 10pm which I felt unreasonable for a centrally located hotel. The room was smaller than other hotels I stayed in Geneva. The nice thing about the room was a small enclosed kitchenette in the room. I didn't use it but it had a nice sink, kettle, crockery, cultery, a fridge and a microwave.

The maids also seem to be having a competition to see who can make as much noise as possible right outside the rooms from 7am onwards. This happenned all through the week I was there.

Also, the back of the hotel is directly on the main train line, so some might this too disturbing. For the price of the rooms in comparison to other hotels nearby, I wouldn't choose to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Muttontown, NY
Reviewed March 8, 2011

I travel t6o Geneva once a year and always stay at the Hotel Auteuil. I have just read some complains about the rooms posted in Feb. 2011. I am very surprised as the hotel is extremelly clean, maybe the passenger brought the bugs ih his luggage or on him.. I will be booking it again this year in August

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed February 19, 2011

After staying at this hotel for five days, I found four large bed bugs crawling out of the clothes I wore to bed at Hotel Auteuil. All of my laundry was clean prior to arriving at this hotel. I had not stayed at any hotels prior in the trip. I had discovered the bed bugs when I unpacked the bed clothes at my next destination.

While the hotel was able to accommodate an early check in, the room smelled of smoke, and smoke would periodically seep in from the neighboring rooms. There were also some holes in the bed linen. I did not complain about those issues. However, the first day I was awoken by hammering in the hotel. I went to use the shower and discovered the water was turned off. I went down to the lobby (after looking up 'hammering' in french), and was told they were having construction and that the water would be on at 3pm (in 3 minutes). At 3:40 I still had no water and I went down to inquire again. The woman told me she'd inquire and call me back on the hotel phone. About 15 minutes later she called and told me the water would be turned on in 5 minutes, which it was. Hot water followed about 10 minutes later. Also, the shower drains were slow. However, the worst part is finding bed bugs. What a nightmare. Sigh.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Lavatube
tampa
Reviewed February 16, 2011

Geneva is obscenely expensive - everything is outrageously priced so if you're going to pay you should get what you pay for. We got it with Hotel Auteuil. It's a short walk from the train station which is great and they give you a free tram and bus pass to get around which was very helpful. Everyone spoke English and was more than friendly. I read some reviews where people complained that there are stairs in the hotel that are inconvenient but that's ridiculous. They asked that we leave our bags and they brought them to our room and the bellman didn't accept an offer of a tip.

Great modern hotel that is extremely comfortable. the bed was GREAT!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Sussex
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Very convenient for railway station and in an ok area of the city, reasonably close to good restaurants. Very courteous and helpful staff. Interiors of public areas and rooms are smart, modern, quite compact but boutique-y. Despite what other reviewers have said I though the breakfast was pretty good (but I agree it was expensive): a range of hot and cold food and drinks, fruit, cereals and pastries. Croissants were very good. There was a microwave and kettle in my room which I didn't use, but could be useful I suppose. Free Wifi was a definite advantage. I'd say it offers good value for Geneva and I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business