“Perfect doggie friendly hotel opposite park and lake”
Review of Eden Hotel Geneva

Eden Hotel Geneva
Ranked #12 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed two nights at Hotel Eden on our way to Italy and were very impressed by the location, amenities and exceptional staff. The lady on reception couldn't have been more accommodating or friendly, even ordering us take away pizza on the first night as we arrived quite late, she then provided us with cutlery and napkins and we ate our pizza's in the foyer lounge, such a thoughtful gesture and so appreciated (and the pizza's were delicious!) We had booked a triple room for us and our 2 dogs and were advised on arrival that we had been upgraded to adjoining rooms (a single and double with a small entrance/hall area in between) as this would give us more space with our two dogs, and the extra space was perfect. The rooms were spotlessly clean with everything we needed including Air Con which was welcome after a day in 32 degree Geneva heat. The Park opposite is beautiful, and we opted out of using the free public transport pass that the hotel provided us on arrival, choosing instead to walk into Geneva. We thoroughly enjoyed our walks along the lake and even had an evening swim with some of the locals who appear to come from work for a swim en-route home, the lake is clear and surprisingly warm. For those travellers with dogs, we found several restaurants in Geneva that were more than happy to allow our dogs to sit with us outside while we ate, even bringing them bowls of water etc. There are numerous water fountains situated along the lake and in the old town which are suitable for drinking so we used these to fill up our own and our dogs water bottles which saved us having to buy more water. Generally dogs need to stay on leads so we took extendable leads with us to allow them some freedom and which worked well in the park.
We have been very impressed by the service at this hotel, even before we arrived the email correspondence was informative and very prompt. We chose to reserve a parking space in a secure underground facility a few metres from the hotel at a cost of 28 CHF a day. There is parking on the road outside but this is charged at 20 CHF a day and always seemed to be full so we were pleased we had reserved a space.
Overall this is an excellent three star hotel and in our opinion, in one of the better locations in Geneva, especially if you are bringing your four legged friend who will require a morning and evening stroll! There is no extra charge to bring your dog as there often is in the UK and also no problem leaving them in your room while you have breakfast. We hope to return!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
LeoStadelmann, General Manager at Eden Hotel Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your very detailed review and comments about your stay at the Hotel Eden. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I have forwarded your compliments to my team. Four legged well educated friend are always welcome.
Looking forward to your next stay with us when travailing to Geneva

Reviewed August 24, 2013

This is a lovely but small hotel a short walk from the ferry on Lake Geneva. It is reasonably priced (for Geneva) and clean. An easy walk to the ITU - good location if you're there for meetings. The service is very Swiss - quick, accurate and efficient, but not particularly friendly (the Swiss would wonder why that's even an issue). To find it, take the train from the airport to the main train station, then take a tram or a bus. Be sure to get your free public transport pass before leaving the Geneva Airport baggage area (good for 90 minutes); then get the free pass from the hotel for the duration.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I had chosen this hotel based on trip advisor reviews and it's location near the Palais, where my daughter was working this summer. I was very pleased with the well organized and clean room; it was an adequate size for Europe where I have found most rooms to be very small. I was there during a heat wave and the room air conditioning worked very well. The room had a small balcony and, though on a busy street corner, was very quiet when the windows were closed, there was a small view of the park across the street. The two bus stops within a block of the hotel were on major routes which made it very easy to travel about Geneva with the bus pass provided by the hotel. I found the breakfast to have enough variety with great cheeses, meats, breads, a nice muesli and yogurts along with fresh fruits. The staff was pleasant and helpful, and spoke very good English which I appreciated with my very limited French. Spending a quiet evening just across the street from the hotel on the lake at the Parc Perle du Lac was very pleasant after a day of touring. I really appreciated the early check in I was allowed; after 24 hours of travel I was given a room on my arrival at 9 a.m. so I could relax and clean up before starting the rest of my day. I would definitely stay at this hotel again when visiting Geneva.

Room Tip: You can request a lake view when booking.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Barbara L
LeoStadelmann, General Manager at Eden Hotel Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your very detailed review and comments about your stay at the Hotel Eden. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to welcome you again on your future stay in Geneva

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We booked this hotel through the Geneva tourist Office as it was a combined price to include city travel and a seat at the truly magnificent firework display.
We were not dissapointed with any aspect of this trip , the service and the room , albeit small , was everything we needed.The room was spotlessly clean with a nice shower room , mini bar , balcony and AC.
Breakfast was buffet style to include all the normal French breads , fresh fruit , large cheese board , ham eggs and salami , we were now set up for the day.
Service is friendly yet proffesional.
Within easy reach of the city by bus (numbers 1 or 25 ) the hotel is opposite the Botanical Gardens which are situated on the lake.
If you get the chance to get to Geneva stay at this great little hotel and check the dates for next years Fireworks , 55 minutes of the best I have ever seen

Room Tip: Rooms at the side of the building are nice , but its a quiet area anyway
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank aspirebern

Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind review. We are so pleased to know that you had a nice stay in Geneva at Hotel Eden. We are glad that you found our location convenient during your stay with us.
Hope to welcome you again, maybe for the next firework.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I chose this hotel based on recommendations from colleages after staying in a larger and more popular hotel in a previous visit. I was dissapointed of my previous hotel but this one was a definite improvement.

Eden is clean and quiet and has A/C and wifi which are not always available in this city. Business center (UN and ITU) plus a choice of dining places are within walking distance, or a short bus trip (free). The rooms are small but this is standard for Europe; they look very modern and well kept. Bathroom is small but convenient (except that water pressure was somewhat higher than my preference...) and service is welcoming and helpful. They have umbrellas you can use during your stay which is very helpful in Geneva... Cost may seem higher than other hotels, but with the very nice breakfast included, it's definitely not a bad deal.

If I visit Geneva will likely choose Eden again.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
LeoStadelmann, General Manager at Eden Hotel Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind review, which I have shared with our staff. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on a 2-day break in Geneva after visiting Lausanne. Out of the two cities, I prefer Lausanne; to me, there is something special about Lausanne whilst Geneva felt more "typical European city" to me, and Lausanne is a good base for exploring the rest of Switzerland.

We picked the Eden based on reviews on Tripadvisor. We didn't want to be in the Paquis/Cornavin area because we'd heard about the red light district (which colleagues and friends tell me isn't really that bad anyway), and the Eden hotel was right opposite a park. It took about 20 minutes to walk into central Geneva from this hotel, which for us wasn't bad, but bear this in mind if you're not a walker.

The hotel was a little old-fashioned - a very heavy key for entry, and older-style decor. We did however have a safe, fairly fast Wifi with no repeat login to access it, and air con in the room and I think we were lucky with the room size - we were in room 108 which on the fire exit floor plan did seem to be much bigger than others on the floor, and could accommodate 3 people (we had a king size and a single bed in our room). The bed was pretty comfortable with nice big pillows.

Breakfast was included in our room rate and had an adequate range. I would have liked to see a couple more healthier options and more fruit.

Reception staff were fairly friendly and helpful and the waiting staff in the restaurant were generally alright. The minibar seemed too cheap to be true, so we had a small bottle of wine from it that instantly tasted like the air had got to it (I know my wines fairly well). I took it to reception who tried convincing me it tasted how it should (and even said someone else had complained the night before too!), but nevertheless, they took me to one of the waitresses who tried convincing me the same. She opened another one to let me try it which was fine, and let me have that bottle instead without extra charge, so I was pleased that the issue was resolved but wasn't so impressed it had been a bit of hassle to get to that stage, especially with the convincing. We had the same waitress serving us dinner the afterwards on the same night and I felt the atmosphere was a little tainted as she remembered me...

Having only been to Geneva once, I felt we picked a good hotel based on the reviews and it wasn't the best hotel in the world, but good enough for us, and we did enjoy the walk into town each day. I would probably try somewhere else next time, but mainly to try different areas rather than due to this hotel itself. It would be nice to see this hotel modernised a little.

Room Tip: Room sizes seem to vary. We were in 108 which seemed the biggest on the floor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a detailed review of our hotel.
I would like to apologise for the delay in responding to your review.
I am glad to hear that you found our hotel generally comfortable, convenient and well-equipped. I am also pleased that you found the reception staff friendly and the minibar good value. But I would like to apologise sincerely for your experience with the bottle of wine. This should have been replaced immediately, courteously and without question. I have spoken to the staff concerned, and have taken measures to ensure that this does not happen again. Thank you for your specific feedback, as it helps us to monitor and improve our level of service.
Satisfaction and well-being of our customers is our first priority at Hotel Eden and we hope you will give us a second chance the next time you visit Geneva.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I'm Swiss, however what Hotel do here, they should not complain about bad business. They still do not understand what customers want and expect to get!
Room was clean, however small, looking to the busy road, no lake view, just into trees.
Bathroom very small, no soap to wash your hands.
Breakfast room tiny too, nothing extraordinary all the for CHF 260.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Cherog
LeoStadelmann, General Manager at Eden Hotel Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comment.
I would like to apologise for the missing bathroom amenities; this is of course not our standard of service. After reading your comment, I discussed this issue with our housekeeping staff.
As a city hotel, we have standard single rooms of a size in line with our hotel category. If you would prefer something larger next time, I recommend that you reserve one of our quiet eastside double rooms for single use.
Our rates vary depending on occupancy. June is a very busy month in Geneva and we believe, compared to our competitors that our rates are at a very reasonable level It is true that we are located close to the lake but because of the beautiful trees in the park located between us and the lake, our rooms do not have a lake view. We certainly do not claim to offer such a view, so I hope that you did not feel that you were misled.
The size of our breakfast room corresponds to the number of rooms and the style of our hotel. If it was exceptionally crowded at a particular moment and this made you uncomfortable please accept my apologies.
Reviews such as yours do not make us happy, but nevertheless help us to improve our service.