“Typical Swiss ok, expensive but nothing special” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Eden Hotel Geneva

Eden Hotel Geneva
Ranked #8 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Lucerne, Switzerland
“Typical Swiss ok, expensive but nothing special”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I'm Swiss, however what Hotel do here, they should not complain about bad business. They still do not understand what customers want and expect to get!
Room was clean, however small, looking to the busy road, no lake view, just into trees.
Bathroom very small, no soap to wash your hands.
Breakfast room tiny too, nothing extraordinary all the for CHF 260.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Cherog
LeoStadelmann, General Manager at Eden Hotel Geneva, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comment.
I would like to apologise for the missing bathroom amenities; this is of course not our standard of service. After reading your comment, I discussed this issue with our housekeeping staff.
As a city hotel, we have standard single rooms of a size in line with our hotel category. If you would prefer something larger next time, I recommend that you reserve one of our quiet eastside double rooms for single use.
Our rates vary depending on occupancy. June is a very busy month in Geneva and we believe, compared to our competitors that our rates are at a very reasonable level It is true that we are located close to the lake but because of the beautiful trees in the park located between us and the lake, our rooms do not have a lake view. We certainly do not claim to offer such a view, so I hope that you did not feel that you were misled.
The size of our breakfast room corresponds to the number of rooms and the style of our hotel. If it was exceptionally crowded at a particular moment and this made you uncomfortable please accept my apologies.
Reviews such as yours do not make us happy, but nevertheless help us to improve our service.

Léo Stadelmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
College Station, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

I occasionally travel to Geneva to do some work with UNCTAD at the Palais des Nations (PN). There are many hotels in Geneva, but almost all of them are downtown and a fair distance from PN. Two that are close enough to the PN to walk are the Mon Repos and the Hotel Eden, which are next door to one another. They are on the UNCTAD list for recommended hotels and do give a government rate.

I've stayed at both hotels, and find both of them quite comfortable. They are both small, boutique hotels that cater to people like me who are working at the PN or other UN agencies for short periods of time (few days to a few weeks).

I have a slight preference for the Hotel Eden though for a couple of reasons.

Both serve breakfast, which is included in the hotel rate, but the Hotel Eden has the advantage of having a restaurant that serves dinner most nights of the week also. I've had dinner there a few times and found the food to be excellent and quite reasonable (restaurants in Geneva are typically very expensive).

The staff at the Hotel Eden have been very friendly and accommodating. For example, I had let the hotel know by email before I left the USA that my flight was arriving in Geneva around 8 am. The hotel had a room ready for me when I arrived so that I could shower and take a break before walking over to the PN to get signed in. Another example is that my flight back to the USA left very early in the morning and the hotel prepared a packaged breakfast for me to take to the airport since I would miss breakfast in the hotel. A third example is that they recognized me and welcomed me by name each time I came back to the hotel. The restaurant staff have also been very nice and friendly also.

Free wifi throughout the hotel (and the wifi worked well in my hotel room too) has been a real plus.

The hotel is next door to the Botanical Gardens and you can actually walk through the gardens on your way to the PN. The hotel is also very close to Lake Geneva and you can walk to the lake front and along that path to get into the downtown if you want a nice stroll. The hotel also gives you a free bus pass for traveling within the city, which is a nice perk.

So I'm making the Hotel Eden my "hotel of choice" for trips to Geneva. Highly recommended. If they are full, I'd also be very comfortable booking next door at Mon Repos.

A couple of pieces of advice:

Coming in from the airport do remember to pick up the free train ticket before you leave the customs/immigration area. Then check which train track goes to downtown and take that train. You can then take a #1 bus out to the Hotel Eden, getting off at the MINES stop (which is right across the street from the hotel).

If you go back very early in the morning (as I do for flights back to the US) do get a cab. The hotel will order one for you.

In terms of restaurants within easy walking distance of the Hotel Eden, I've tried the Lebanese one that is just up the street (past the Mon Repos). it's very good but expensive. The whole fish dish is amazingly good. There is a pizza restaurant further up the street again (heading into town and on the other side of the street from the Lebanese one) is a family restaurant with a wood fired oven that makes good Italian pizza. I've also eaten at the Korean restaurant, which is a bit past the pizza one, and next to a church that is in the shape of a globe.

Hope this helps for your trip to Geneva!

Room Tip: Go for a high floor because the front street can be quite noisy with cars passing. I like the balcon...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank AggieProf
LeoStadelmann, General Manager at Eden Hotel Geneva, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your very detailed review and comments about your stay at the Hotel Eden. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I have forwarded your compliments to my team. We hope to welcome you again on your future stay in Geneva
Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the hotel. Nice breakfast (with Easter eggs!), friendly staff and most important two connecting rooms with an external joint door, creating a small space between the two rooms which can be used to put bags, shoes toys etc

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DEcho5
Bologna, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

Room is small, bathroom with space only for tub and basin. Furnitures are enough, maybe, only for one person, but for 2 persons isn't enough. Considering the hotels' high prices in Geneve, in any case, this hotel is better to forget

Room Tip: To choose the most expensive rooms
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comment.
We are very sorry that our hotel did not meet your expectations.
The size of the room you were given corresponds to our hotel category and its layout is very popular with our customers. However, you were accompanied by your child and we do have rooms which better fit the needs of parents travelling with children. We also encourage parents to mention the presence of children at the time of booking, which allows us to take this into account when assigning the room.
Although all our staff speak several languages, those present on the day of your arrival were not familiar with your language and could not communicate with you. We apologize for this shortcoming. We believe that the price we charged you for the night was very moderate and quite in line with hotels of similar standard in the city.
For the team at the Hotel Eden, satisfaction and well-being of our customers is our first priority. Sometimes we have to admit that we fail to reach our goals. We hope you will give us a second chance the next time you visit Geneva.

Léo Stadelmann General Manager
St.John's
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed here for two nights, a nice hotel with good food and reasonable rates ( for Geneva). It would seem that the lower room rate reflects the extra distance from downtown -about a 25 minute walk from the train station. On the other hand it is closer to some of the UN buildings . As for transportation an easy bus ride from the airport and there are a couple of bus routes that run straight from the hotel to the train station. Plus hotel provides free transport card for use of Geneva's very good public transport system.

Now for the property itself. Bathroom was spotless if small, room was nicely laid out and adequately sized . Staff were friendly and helpful. An older property that has had upgrades over the years but nothing looks tired rather one that was aged very well. The breakfast was good with fruit, pastries mcheeses and meats - nice croissants by the way. Had supper here and was surprised by how very good it was ( I had the beef ,my wife the lamb) . Nicely done indeed.

One point of note - restaurant is open for supper only Mon to Fri (breakfast is 7 days a week) and a limited number of restaurants in say 10 minute walking distance.

So a very nice property and staff were friendly -- recommended if location works for you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
LeoStadelmann, General Manager at Eden Hotel Geneva, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind review of Hotel Eden. We are very pleased to know that your stay left you with many good memories!
We hope that you will visit us again in the near future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

I went to Geneva for a conference at Palexpo. The location was very convenient since the number 28 bus which goes to palexpo is 2 mins walk from the hotel. It's also across the road from the lake which was great for a run or walk in the evening. Breakfast was a lovely continental breakfast, all good quality and the staff were lovely. There's a little shop close by that sells large bottles of water for CF2 but there are not many cafes or restaurants closeby so you really have to get the number 1 or 25 into town which only takes a few minutes and i felt safe coming back at night. Great stay.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind review, which I have shared with our staff. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Yours sincerely,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

I like others, was truly surprised that one could rent these tiny dorm-like rooms. The bathroom was also very tiny and uncomfortable. I did not feel comfortable in the room whatsoever, however, the lobby area was very cold so I was forced to stay in my room. The bed was tiny and VERY hard.

The breakfast is decent and the front desk staff is nice, but did not handle a noise disturbance next door to me (the next day I received a fruit basket after I complained).

Overall I would not stay here again as I have seen other better-quality with normal size rooms hotels that actually charged a lot cheaper.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Americanincognito
Dear Guest
Thank you for the review.
We would like to mention that we have different types of rooms and we offered you a single room with a single bed (100x200cm) as this was our last available room. This kind of room is not unusual in European city hotels. We would like to apologize that we did not recognise your need and offer you a better solution. I am also sorry that we were unable to localise the noise issue, and I have discussed this with my staff. We believe that our pricing, bearing in mind that breakfast is included in our rates, is in line with our competitors.
I truly hope you will give us another chance in the future. If you do stay with us again, I suggest that when booking you ask for a room with a queen bed.