“Good value”

Hotel Edelweiss - Manotel Geneva
Ranked #36 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The hotel had some strenght and few weakness. My room at 6th floor was nice and quiet. The size of the room was significant and the bathroom was newly refurbished with grey tiles and solid wood, abundant towels.
I was a bit disappointed by the breakfast, decent but lacking the variety and choice of a proper English breakfast, espresso not included and charged separetely (ouch!), juices in jugs but tasteless.
Overall the hotel was comfortable and the rate competitive for being in Geneva.

Room Tip: As usual ask for higher floors, farther away from traffic noise.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Colesbay

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I suspect that when looking to book a hotel room in Geneva people expect to pay the second-mortgage rates of the big name chains on either side of the lake. Well dear reader, this simply need not be the case and I heartily recommend the Hotel Edelweiss to you. It is a short walk from the station; an even shorter walk to the lake and to the water taxis that ply back and forwards across the lake.The Hotel exudes a slightly stereotyped but nonetheless welcoming swiss-ness if there is such a word! There is carved pine as far as the eye can see in both the public areas and in the rooms themselves and all that is really missing is Heidi's name in the guestbook.And, if space had allowed, perhaps a separate bar. The staff are as charming as you would expect and the restaurant(whilst expensive) serves great food and is great fun too.My wife and I loved the Edelweiss and will certainly return to this charming Hotel and this wonderful city.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alistair R
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My wife and I visited Geneva recently and we stayed at the Hotel Edelweiss which is ideally situated near to the lake,restaurants and main shopping.The room was very comfortable and a great price,the staff were very good and efficient and the hotel restaurant excellent! You need to experience the restaurant at least once and try the fondue dishes or raclette and the live band with traditional Swiss music!

Room Tip: Top floor overlooking the square and rooftops
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank burningdaylite
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stayed at this hotel when we stopped in Geneva on a train trip through Switzerland, Austria and finally Budapest. Our room was very clean and spacious, the front desk staff were helpful and accommodating. We also liked the interior charm of the hotel as it did convey a real Swiss feeling. Although we did not eat in their restaurant, we did not experience the "smell" of fondue as others had reported. Our room was in the back so was very quite. When researching the hotel options in Geneva, we struggled to find a nice hotel at a good value. Geneva is a very expensive city so we felt this was the best site for the money. Walked from the train station to the hotel and to the old town and shopping district. Although we did manage to walk through the "adult recreation" area of Geneva once, we did not experience any problems or see any drug dealing as others have reported. Geneva was not as nice as Bern or some other cities we visited in Switzerland but we were glad we stopped and experienced Geneva at least once.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dwd0
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My colleagues and I are visiting Geneva for business very frequently. We chose the Edelweiss hotel because it's a great combination of lovely small hotel with very comfortable spacious rooms for reasonable pricing at a great location of 5 min to the main station, the lake and the city center.
The Edelweiss team is simply amazing, they are warm and friendly people, very professional and they put every possible effort to answer every need of their guests. In addition the breakfast at the Edelweiss is excellent and even veggies have enough options to enjoy it.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Hotel Edelweiss is my usual hotel in Geneva. I love the "chalet" atmosphere, although it is a bit of an acquired taste, and their fondue restaurant has to be experienced at least once in a lifetime.

Staff is very helpful and friendly whenever I visit them. The free public transport ticket for your stay in Geneva is also very useful. Rooms are comfortable, cozy and very "alpine". I like the beds in the hotel a lot and was positively surprised to see that the TV had Belgian/Dutch channels available. A first on my many trips abroad. The bathroom is a bit cramped but very clean and comfortable. I wouldn't mind a redesign of the shower though.

WiFi is free, there is a bus stop right across the hotel and you only need a ten minute walk to Cornavin station.

Minor quibbles: the airconditioning didn't work in my room. Since I was only staying one night I didn't make a fuss about it. It's never happened to me before when I visited the hotel.

Their fondue restaurant has a live "alpine music" band performing each night. You MUST eat there at least once.

The area around Geneva central station has become a bit of a security risk lately, though. Drug dealers do their trade openly, prostitutes line the street at night and you have to watch out for pick-pockets. The hotel can't do much about this, of course, but do take care when you go out in the evening.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I chose this hotel because it had good reviews online and was said to be "the place to go" for a true Swiss Alps experience. The hotel is exactly like the pictures portray on line. However, I would only recommend for a few days. We stayed 6 nights. After a while the smell of the cheese fondue coming from the restaurant left me feeling sick every time I stepped out of my room.
I think Manotel just purchased the hotel and are making positive changes. The staff was wonderful and the hotel was clean. Neighbor was okay, we felt very safe and walked every where.
There is no gym, pool, sauna etc at the hotel. The shower is so small I had to open the door and put my legs on the sink to shave! but the shower head was awesome! Towels were huge and soft. Bed was hard, but my husband loved it. Room had nice sized closet, and dresser. Mini bar, Fridge and safe. Full sized mirror. Small table and one chair. Rooms in Europe are small so it was average for Europe I would say. It really wasn't a bad hotel at all, but just a step down from 3 stars I would say. Honestly, If they could just figure out how to keep the cheese smell in the restaurant it would be much better!

Room Tip: Don't choose a room close to street. Choose room on higher floor.