“The 'Business Room' didn't meet my expectations”
Review of Warwick Geneva

Warwick Geneva
Ranked #31 of 105 Hotels in Geneva
Vaasa, Finland
“The 'Business Room' didn't meet my expectations”
Reviewed November 6, 2007

I stayed at hotel Warwick for six nights end of October 2007. I had booked a so-called Business room, which was supposed to have some additional amenities in comparison to the Standard room. Well, me and my colleague learned otherwise.

On the hotel's homepages the Business room is supposed to include (I quote) "bathrobe and slippers, fruit basket, daily international newspaper, dry-cleaning for a suit or a dress, free entrance to a fitness centre near the hotel and check-out is possible until 6:00 pm".

Neither my colleague or me had bathrobes or slippers in the room; we did get slippers still the same evening that we arrived, bathrobe we managed to get the next day. The fruit basket we complained about four times, as that was the main reason for booking the Business room, i.e. having apples or similar to eat after a long conference day. On the third day we got the fruit basket - which included... ONE apple and two pieces of chocolate! The newspapers we got from the third day onwards.

When checking out, I had asked if it really is so that I can check out as late at 6:00 pm (being sceptical after previous experiences), and I was told yes. Only thing I had to do was inform when I will check out, and I told them 4:30 pm. When I was at the conference, the last day, I get a phone call around noon from the hotel that I have to move my bags and empty the room immediately. What?! After a long discussion it was then agreed that I can have my things in the room, as that actually is included in the Business room. When checking out, however, I got a nice surprise - checking out later means additional costs...! I already paid a higher price for the six nights for the Business room - weren't the advertised amenities included in that price?

You may guess that after some struggling, everything was agreed. Afterwards I am happy that I didn't try out that "free" dry-cleaning for one suit or one dress; I don't want to even image how that would have ended.

Others: The personnel wasn't too service-minded, rooms were very basic (not as nice as on their homepages), and breakfast was basic (white bread, eggs, bacon, some cheeses and yoghurt). Nothing out of the ordinary.

All this aside, I felt safe in the hotel, and it was just opposite to the train station (if you like that). Attached is a picture of the view from the hotel room.

In summary, if you decide to stay at this hotel, just book the Standard room, as it is cheaper and you really don't get anything more by paying for the Business room :)

• Liked — Location to conference facilities
  • Disliked — Selling something they weren't able to provide
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank AnneBear

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
California
Reviewed October 24, 2007

One of the reason I picked this hotel was because it was RIGHT across from the train station (Genéve station). Which was cool since we're only in Geneva for a day and we arrived by train, we just walked right across the street (crossing the tram platform) to get to it. And the next day we walked across to the train station. For ease of train-station-access, you can't beat this. :-)

Our room was fairly modern and fairly updated and comfy. Overall it definitely had that "business hotel" sort of feel to it. Not really sure how to describe it.

We never got to old town, but we walked to the lake front, which was fairly close. Also it was close to a grocery mkt (inside metro shopping center) and some restaurants.

For our purse this time, it worked out great. But if I were staying longer I may want to stay in a different part of town. Oh yeah, they provided for us free these "Geneva public transit" cards which supposedly will work on any public transport. But we never tried them...

Stayed October 2007
8 Thank estorilphil
San Jose, CA
Reviewed October 4, 2007

Definitely not a 4 star as listed on many sites once you enter the room. The lobby, concierge and common services are pretty decent but the rooms are average in terms of size, cleanliness and amenities.

The location across from the train station helps you quickly move around town, either on foot or by bus/tram.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank muj23
Brighton
Reviewed September 11, 2007

booked this city break as a surprise getaway for my hubby, did my usual research so was aware that some reviews were not very complimentary, however the location sold it to me. As you come out of the train station (which all trains stop at out of the airport, took about five mins to get there) you can see the warwick just over the road. We were given free transport cards to use for the duration of our stay and were even valid to take us by train back to the airport for our return trip! the tram system was fab and very easy to use and we also went on the yellow river taxi's just because we could!! Lake Geneva was just down the road and there were some great places to eat just over the other side of the river.
the staff were very freindly and our room overlooked the mountains at the back of the hotel, you could even see the jet on the lake when it was on. We had the breakfast which we found to be spot on, usual continential plus bacon, sausages etc, fresh bread and coffee were to die for! Wheather was perfect ate too much chocolate and drank too much beer, Hey HO!....ENJOY.

• Liked — friendly staff, mini bar in room to keep shop bought items cool!!
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
10 Thank chunkyBrighton
london
Reviewed September 1, 2007

good location, however the hotel was not up to standard. room was not ready until 4pm, no towels.
requested non-smoking room however it stank of smoke.
advertised as having a lounge bar, but that was just part of the lobby under the stairs.
would not recommend this hotel as it was not good value for money.
Just a few meters away, you could get a better hotel at a cheaper price if you didn' mind walking the extra distance.

Stayed July 2007
4 Thank r0se18
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2007

This hotel is situated immediately opposite the main train station, is well situated for public transport and about a 10 minute walk from the lake. We booked a triple room which was quite smart but it was rather small and the third bed was a camp bed which we thought was disappointing for a 4 star hotel. The hotel is mainly frequented by middle eastern clientale and we felt rather out of place and not particularly welcome. Breakfast was OK but it was served in a slightly dingy room in the hotel basement.
Geneva itself was a bit of a let down as it was expensive and we felt that it had no atmosphere although it didn't help that it rained most of the time we were there.
The transport card was however a real bonus and we were able to travel around on the excellent public transport at no cost. This hotel is probably OK if you are in Geneva for a couple of days on Business and want a central location but if you are on vacation I would try somewhere else.
After four days in Geneva we left to travel to Chamonix in the French Alps which was fantastic and the sun came out as well!

• Liked — Quite Good Location
  • Disliked — Unfriendly atmosphere
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank Portishead
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2007

This hotel is directly opposite the train station, so from collecting your luggage at the airport you can be be checking in within around 20 minutes.
I was given a large room on the top floor (I had only booked a standard) which had balconies to two sides with plenty of sun loungers & garden furniture. The main view is of a main road & the train station but you can get a glimpse of the lake.
The room had a three piece suite & dining table with four chairs, but only a very small single bed without headboard-odd but comfortable enough. There was a large TV with a number of english language channels & a coffee machine that wouldn't look out of place in Starbucks. The bathroom was clean & well equipped & there was a free wallsafe.
I took breakfast one morning & would say it was pricey & nothing special. There are so many eating places around (in all price ranges) that there is no real need to eat in the hotel.
I had to ask for my Geneva pass as it was not offered automatically when I checked in.
It is a short walk to the lake (10 mins at most) & all the Geneva's shops & attractions surround the hotel.
All the members of staff that I encountered were pleasant & I am sorry to read in earlier reviews that this is not always the case.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo