“Great quality rooms and service, right next to train station”

Hotel Royal - Manotel Geneva
Ranked #30 of 105 Hotels in Geneva
Annemasse, France
“Great quality rooms and service, right next to train station”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

In my opinion, the best thing about this hotel is its location as it sits just 5 minutes from the main train station (gare cornavin). If you are traveling by train or want a location that is a quick trip to the airport and in the city center, I would highly recommend this hotel.

I stayed two nights (separated by a week) and saw two different rooms (classified as "superior"). Both were beautiful! The wifi was easy to connect to and I always had a strong connection. The bed was very comfortable and in the rooms I had booked there was also a sofa bed of good quality. The tv in the room is huge and while I didn't watch much tv it is always fun to hear so many different languages while flipping through channels.

The breakfast buffet was also fantastic. It was very large and restocked frequently. From hard boiled eggs, "American style" coffee (not Americano), and pancakes with nutella on the side, to your usual croissants and orange juice, there was plenty to make any traveler happy.

Overall I highly recommend the Hotel Royal if you want a comfortable place to stay in Geneva near the train station.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Royal with my husband for 2 nights as our first stop of the Switzerland trip. The hotel is located on a main street and can easily be found. Check-in was efficient and they even had someone to take our luggage to the room. Room size was okay, with enough space to walk around even with large suitcases. Bathroom was very clean, bright, and spacious unlike other hotels in Europe. However, bed was too soft which I guess it’s the standard across Europe.

We did not purchase the breakfast plan. But we did try out their express breakfast at the bar for EUR9 with a croissant, tea, and an orange juice. Food quality was good except for the service by the lady called Domie (not sure if the spelling is correct). We ordered 2 tea and 2 orange juice, but the waitress only gave us 1 tea and 2 orange juice. When we asked for the other tea, she blamed us for telling her that we only needed 1 tea. Her attitude was totally unacceptable.

We had dinner 2 nights in a row at their bistro, Le Duo. The food I would say was at 5-star level, and prices were reasonable. We had tried their fois gras, soup, pork knuckle, steak, and they all tasted very good. The chef is definitely comparable to one in a 5-star hotel. Another compliment to the waiter at Le Duo, Jonathan, who keeps having a great attitude all the time, and being so detail-oriented.

Even if I don’t stay there next time, I would definitely go back to their restaurant.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Unun218
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I LIKED:
- decently priced
- stylish room, yet small
- located close to the station and at a stone's throw from the lake, with free public transport (you get a free card from the hotel - true for all hotels in Geneva)
- friendly staff
- good value for money - classy considering the price and the location

I DIDN'T LIKE:
- the area is the not best in Geneva, but Geneva is small so you can easily walk away
- a bit dark and cramped stuck between the railways and a rather grey street

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TheFlyingScorpio
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 13, 2013

This hotel is one of several they have in Geneva. They give you discounts to eat in the restaurants for the hotel group. The restaurant in the Royal was excellent. The bar is lively, and the drinks were good. The lobby is tight and busy, but tastefully appointed. They always have cookies and apples in the lobby for guests.

The hotel in walking distance from the train station and walking distance to the lake. the neighborhood is a little sketchy, close to the red light area. The area is also where there are a lot of restaurants and good hotels mixed in with some seedy establishments. We had not problems, but I would not want to walk around at night alone. The hotel gives you a free pass for the tram system during your stay.

The rooms are very pretty in an old European sort of way, they upgraded us to a Junior Suite with a living room sort of area.. The bathroom is roomy, the bedroom adequately large. The air conditioning was not at peak function. The rooms were clean and ours was quiet.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Home counties
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Staying on business with my wife, I upgraded to a junior suite, which on the hotel website, boasts a kitchenette. This is a locked cupboard with basic kitchen facilities, but on enquiring about the key for the cupboard, was told at reception this was 50SFr (about £35) per night! If like me, you abhor Nespresso pod coffee, there was no access to in room coffee facilities.

The room itself was disappointingly small for a suite and like the stairs and corridors, in need of some TLC. While the reception and ground floor public areas are smart and fresh, the upper floors and our room were tatty. Threadbare carpets and scuffed walls and wood was the order of the day away from the ground floor. I believe the hotel was refurbished about seven years ago - it is now overdue for a makeover.

Breakfast at 30SFr was expensive by normal standards, but an unexceptional charge for the Genovese, where everything has an eye-watering price tag attached to it.

Convenient for the station with a regular 10 minute service to the airport, I was disappointed that our trains in both directions were late in a very un-Swiss way. Pick up the free train ticket at the airport just before the customs area in the baggage hall. The hotel did provide a free city travel card for the duration of our stay with access to the excellent, city-wide trams. (Edinburgh take note!)

The hotel is on the edge of the less salubrious red-light district, according to our local host. Exercise sensible caution if straying into the side streets after dark. Do wander down to the lake and explore the wonderful old town, but here prices are also challenging. Two beers in a low rent street bar cost us SFr 14.

Overall, an interesting few days in a very expensive city and a rather average hotel

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank angusM25
Giza, Egypt
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The staff showed great cooperation & hospitality, the location of the hotel is very good, Booking through booking.com was so easy,
There is a halal restaurant just in front of the hotel.
They provide you with a free ticket for all public transportation facilities, free Wifi as well.
I enjoyed my stay in general.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Zagreb, Croatia
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a week in April. It's good location, considering its not far, on walking distance, from all attractions in Geneva, and at the other hand it's also not far (10-15 mins walking) from WTO and WMO, which were my points of interest.

Disappointing to me was a size of rooms (I have changed two of them) - small, without any view. Most disappointing was that even with all windows closed I had feeling that all the trains have been passing through my bed: hotel is located between major road/street and major railroad. But, just few meters away is another Manotel (Auteuil), where you don't feel nothing...

They have small gym and wellness center (steam bath and sauna) free of charge for hotel guests.

Breakfast is expensive, but in range of other hotels... good choice of food, but served in a hotel restaurant without windows. Maybe not a big deal, but it's a more pleasant when you can get your morning cereals and newspapers enjoying day light.

Taxi from hotel to the airport cost cca. 45 CHF, but it's very easy to use a train going to the main railway station not far from hotel.

• Stayed April 2013