“pretty awful”

Hotel Sagitta & Residence
Ranked #55 of 109 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed July 28, 2012

About the only things going for this are the decent location and the lower price point compared to a lot of hotels in Geneva. The hotel is very tired and the rooms don't seem to have enjoyed any updates since perhaps the 70s (save perhaps for the bathroom, which was passable). We were misled into thinking that there was ample parking space for our campervan out the front, and after turning up and finding out that was not the case the woman at the front desk simply said that it wasn't her problem because it was another member of staff that we had dealt with.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank cwb75423

Reviewed July 8, 2012

We booked this hotel, and were filled with trepidation as we were unfamiliar with the area, and it was at the bottom of the price scale for Geneva.
We need not have worried. The hotel was perfectly clean, and the staff were very pleasant. The room was quite tired, but the kitchenette was a boon. The area was very safe, and the No 12 tram took us to the main shops and the old town within a few stops (easily walkable, though). As mentioned by the previous poster, there are two huge supermarkets within a short block.
Breakfast was fine for us; croissants, pastries, breads, three simple types of cold meat, pre-packed cheeses, yoghourts, jams, cereals, juices and a fruit bowl.
The only significant down sides to the hotel were the variability of the time of maid service (it could be as late as 1-2pm) and the paltry air-conditioning.
All in all, we would stay there again, as long as there was not a heat wave!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AyrshireXC90
Reviewed July 3, 2012

As I have already written - not bad: close to bus No5 = easy to get to the Palexpo a airport. In the room is also some kitchen eqiupment, so you can cook, supermarkets Migros and Coop are just behind the corner, you can walk to the city center and the lake.Friendly service.
Not good : the new equipment of the room as the wall painting is probably comming...No vegetable for breakfast. The price I would expect the half I have payed, but in Geneva is probably every accomodation more expensive.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I stayed in Sagitta many times and got the opinion that it's the best place for me to stay in Geneva. The price is average for Geneva but you are getting also a lot of things included: nice breakfast, free wi-fi, absolute safety, good location, friendly service. What I appreciated once: I forgot my Frey Wille ring in the hotel and checked-out. Remembered about it in several hours and called the hotel. The found it and it was waiting for me when I came by taxi. In Geneva nowadays it's absolutely unusual. I liked the breakfast also, you can boil an egg, make a sandwich and there are always fruits (fresh or canned). Internet always works fine. There is a small paid parking which we used sometimes.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Sagitta in October and found the location really good; close to transport, the lake, shopping, the Old Town, supermarkets - you could walk to all of them. The staff were very helpful and all spoke English. Our daughter works in Geneva and they welcomed her for breakfast (which was great) with us when she could make it. Although the decor is a little tired and faded, the hotel was extremely clean, quiet at night and the room size, coupled with the kitchenette, made our stay very comfortable and enjoyable.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 23, 2012

The hotel staff were very helpful and attentive. They also spoke very good English, a bonus as neither my wife or I speak French.

Our first impression of the room was one of minor disappointment. It seemed slightly shabby and tired. But what you lack in decor you make up for in cleanliness. It was spotless. It also had a lovely view of the snow capped mountains. We were pleasantly surprised to find the room boasted a small kitchenette. A bonus for anyone on a tight budget as basic food could be bought from the local supermarket and prepared in the room.

The location was great for both the lake and the local attractions. When they say most things are in walking distance they really mean it. If you do need to catch a bus or tram the hotel is situated a stones throw away from Rive bus station.

The breakfast was what you would expect from a continental hotel with a good selection of pastries, cereals and cold meats and cheeses.

We have fallen in love with Geneva and have decided that when we return we will stay at the Sagitta again. I cannot think of higher praise.

• Stayed: February 2012
4  Thank Stews2u
Reviewed December 26, 2011

I stayed at Sagitta for 7 nights in December. I was booked here by the company i work for, and I also had reccomendation from one of the colleagues at work.
Things i was happy with:
1. Good breakfast, although not all the staff serving breakfast speaks english, this was a bit of an issue for me, since i only speak english and german. at the end of the day, it is breakfast not a talk show, so i managed.
2. Free Internet - they have good internet coverage, i was on the 1st floor, and had 2 access points to choose from.
3. Clean bathroom, staff always made my room clean.

Things I was less impressed with:
1. some of the furnishings in the room did seem a little worn, some of the chairs and bed covers.

Overall I had a good stay, the hotel is probably less than 10 minutes from the "Jet d'Eau" and ferry boats taking you across the lake geneva. Also trams run 100m from the hotel door, so it is really easy to get around.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business