“Great stay when on a budget!”
Review of Hotel Astoria

Hotel Astoria
Ranked #57 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed October 3, 2010

We are here now at the Astoria Best Western. The location is great, across the street from the train station.Reading some of the reviews made me nervous upon arrival that the rooms would be horrible, smell bad etc. I was suprised the rooms were very clean, beds comfortable, typical European size, airconditioned/climate controlled, and were just like the pictures. We travel a lot and have been in smaller hotels. So far the staff has been very pleasant, breakfast was standard continental european breakfast. Plus, we were given a card to use the public transportation for free, not a bad deal! I would recommend this room to the money conscious traveler.
Dana
New Orleans, LA

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Astoria

Reviewed August 24, 2010

We stayed in a filthy dump room of this unique hotel of discomfort and rudeness. The room has a very bad smell that caused severe allergy to my baby that prevent him from sleeping , he coughed all night long and we asked to change the room but they refused . It has the worst reception staff I have ever seen.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2010

I stayed for one night with colleagues. The colleague doing the booking did not look at Tripadvisor! I did so I knew what to expect.

Location is very central and near to the railway station.

Reception very helpful and checkin/checkout very straightforward.
No publc rooms to speak of. The small reception area had a few chairs and tables.
Breakfast in the Britannia Pub next door was adequate.

My room was but clean. Bathroom tiny but everything worked.
I don't understand why they have side by side sinks when you can only get one person in the bathroom! Shower was a bit fiddly to get the temperature right but worked OK..

Adequate storage space and hangers for one night and a reasonable number of TV channels.

The rooms do need a complete refuburbishment.

This is at the cheaper end of the Geneva market and you get what you pay for.
In my experience it is not untypical of the low end hotels in Geneva so I rate this as average.
It is OK for one night or those on a budget requiring a central location.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2010

Perhaps I was lucky with the room I got , but this place is not so bad. The room was not tiny, it was clean and the bed was ok. Geneva is an expensive place to stay so this place is better value than most. The breakfast was fine too and the staff pleasant. High speed internet, but you had to pay.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 11, 2009

Dont stay here. The hotel is a disaster except its location which is nice but there are other options. The rooms are really small (like jail?), the place has not been refurbished during last 30 years?!? What about safety? Corridors really narrow and scary. Breakfast in pub next door. They had to open all doors and windows in the morning to get some fresh air in there. Why? Dont ask me. The actual breakfast was actually ok but place so odd so still did not feel good. I was traveling with a client and felt really ashamed. Spoke to my travel agent and told them never to book me or anyone else from our company at this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 6, 2008

My business travel agent booked me in this hotel for 4 nights. The front desk was always helpful and polite. My room was really, really small. It didn't even have any closets. Any! Just a couple of hanging hooks on the wall. I had to leave my clothes in the suitcase for 4 days. There was only a desk with a small TV on it and one chair, hardly usable due to lack of space. The TV had several satelitte channels and 4-5 pay-Movie channels.

I have some doubts about the bath having been cleaned the first day (before my arrival) although the overall impression was a decent one, apart from the size. It had a very well functioning shower cabin and seemed to had been recently refurbished.

Breakfast was served in the adjoining pub (Britannia) and was a small but respectable buffet. I didn't see anyone smoking indoors, as some other reviewers have suggested and I stayed there for 4 days.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank patra7
Reviewed June 2, 2008

Stayed in Switzerland for 6 nights in 6 different places and this was the worst. Poor, dated decor, very expensive for quality of rooms and service. Apart from the lobby which was ok the rest of the hotel has a very stale smell and feels very claustrophobic. We hated being in the room in this hotel and couldn't wait to leave. The worst part was breakfast which is served in the british bar next door. The atmosphere here was of a stale english pub, with dirty carpet and tatty seats. Also, people were coming in off the street to have a coffee and a smoke while we were eating our breakfast. If the price was less, maybe all of this wouldn't seem so bad. Would not recomend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)