“Not a bad place to stay in Geneva”
Review of Suisse Hotel

Suisse Hotel
Ranked #29 of 105 Hotels in Geneva
Porto, Portugal
“Not a bad place to stay in Geneva”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The breakfast is satisfying, even though it is not the most complete I have ever seen. The hotel is very conveniently close to the main train station. There are many good restaurants around the area and it is in one of the busiest places in Geneva.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DoCamandro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

Location just opp to main rail station...in all aspects my stay was good ....just keep ur expectation for what u have paid and u will enjoy this hotel...small lobby small rooms small breakfast place ....overall just an average experience

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank 79rishabh
Caldwell, New Jersey
Reviewed September 7, 2012

This hotel wwas average. It was very easy to find as it was literally outside the train station. The management staff were courteous and polite as well. We were given a room on the top floor facing the train station. I felt the room was a good sized room for a european hotel. The decor was somewhat outdated in the room but it was clean. I had read a lot of complaints about their being a lot of noise from the train station and the roadway outside, but I did not find this to be true. In fact I felt that the noise was average for a city and it did not bother me. I think the room was to expensive for what we were given, however it was also one of the cheaper options when we were booking for one night in the city. I would stay here again if I ever went back to Geneva though.

Room Tip: 6th floor has a small balcony which made the room nicer.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tim F
Singapore
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We reached the hotel just after exiting from the train station without knowing, that's how close it was!
The location has nothing to complaint, very convenient and centrally located.
The hotel gave us what we requested - room at the 6th floor with balcony! the view was good.
Room is compact and clean, and the bathroom is spacious. Since it was facing the main road and train station, we could heard some noise from the street especially during mid night when it was quiet, but nothing too noisy that would wake us up from sleep.
Breakfast in the hotel is typical standard and spread. But we noticed most of the travellors are on business trip instead of tourist. Overall, the staff is helpful and friendly.
However, please be extra careful in Geneva lake area, as one teenager in the pretext of friendlyness and shaking hand, pickpocketed my wallet (though he returned it minutes later, for whatsoever reason). This affected my previous good impression of Switzerland, and become extra vigilant in my stay in Paris and Amsterdam subsequently.

Room Tip: request a room at the 6th floor (the roof) with balcony
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank siongloong
College Station, Texas
Reviewed August 11, 2012

PROS:
They gave my wife and I a deluxe room for the standard prize with a great bed and bathroom (none of which we care about too much; we are easily content on facilities) and breakfast and internet included for 140 swiss francs/night. The location is very good too and in the 5th floor we barely hear any sound from outside. All nice except for the air conditioning scam I talk below.

CONS:
DO NOT BE FOOLED, THIS HOTEL DOES NOT HAVE CONTROLLED AIR CONDITIONING IN EITHER THE FANCY OR IN THEIR LOUSY ROOMS. I moved to this hotel from a very cheap one that did not have air conditioning (an oversight I made during the booking) and after three sleepless, extremely-hot and humid nights there we decided to move to hotel Suisse. In the fantastically cooled lobby of the Suisse hotel I *specifically* and *repeatedly* asked the clerk if I could set the temperature of the room and only because he repeatedly said yes I agreed to stay in this hotel which was 40% more expensive than the original one.
The true is that that clerk and all the other ones lied. The only thing that you have control over is the velocity of the fan, you can set the temperature dial in the AC box of the room from 5C to 30C and the output air will never change temperature !!! The worst part is that the staff INSULTS YOU saying that the AC is working fine and you can't feel the difference!!, that the temp in your room is the same temperature that in the lobby (winner of worse lie ever, by about 10 degrees C) or that the sun is heating your room too much which can't be the reason as during night the temperature does not change a tiny bit either. To our surprise they did not claim the moon was heating our room during the night.

They wanted to change me to a (much worse) room but before moving I thoroughly checked the AC in this new room and was exactly the same as in the FANCY room and in this new room the AC will be turned off when you leave the room (nice TRY!!!). THE TRUTH IS THEY HAVE NO ROOM in which you can regulate the AC and you are stuck with the temperature they set it on.

One more thing, to make you feel bad so you don't demand what they promised, they also tell you that they never had such trouble before, which you can see is not true as you can find people complaining about the same problem in other review web pages.

Last comment, they told me they had no fans to help me with, but then I told them I will write this review and 5 minutes later they called my room to tell me they will bring a fan. Exercise your power to review the hotels; you will be helping other people as well.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank R E
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

Perfectly close to train and easy walk to the lake and everything else. Good simple breakfast and cheap Internet rates. I would stay here again especially if I needed to catch a quick train or needed to use the metro - that was nearby as well.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo