“Incomparable boutique hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 108 Hotels in Geneva
Newport Center, Vermont
“Incomparable boutique hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I can't imagine a better place to stay in Geneva. After our overnight flight from North America and a short walk from Gare Cornavin in the rain, we arrived looking quite bedraggled at Hotel d'Angleterre. We were met by 2 extraordinarily friendly and welcoming gentlemen at the reception desk who made our check-in process a breeze. We were then escorted to our room where a detailed tour of the room ensued. We were brought coffee and provided with an enormous bowl of Swiss chocolate. Our room was on the top floor and, upon opening the windows, were greeted by a superb view of Lac Leman. The location of the hotel is excellent both from the standpoint of the view to Old Geneva, as well as being directly at the site of the ferry across the lake. Proximity to the train station as mentioned above is also excellent. Our room deserves only superlatives, being fully equipped in every regard, even to the point of providing a 110V AC electrical outlet. To me, however, the greatest asset of this hotel was the incredible staff, every member of which was as polite, friendly, and helpful as the two men at the reception desk. This hotel deserves all the accolades that have been bestowed upon it in other reviews. If the occasion arises for my wife and I to return to Geneva, I have no doubt where we will be staying.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HSRSteve

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Marlow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for a weekend having chosen the hotel based on reviews and having stayed in two of their London hotels.
The hotel is beautifully furnished, immaculately clean and in a great location but the highlight is the quality of the service.
I'm not sure how they do it and why other hotels fail to, but the quality of service is truly exceptional. Nothing is too much trouble, we were made to feel like the only guests and our name was remembered consistently by staff in all the functions.
I can't recommend the hotel or Red Carnation as a group enough.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank UKtravelMarlow
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times for business over the years. I have always like the location proximity to the train station, the wonderful views of Lake Leman, the staff, facilities and restaurant . This time was the first time I ever stayed there with my wife during our 25th anniversary trip to Europe.

When we arrived, the doorman who I did not know greeted us with "welcome back Mr. R" The front desk was equally as inviting and kind. We were escorted to our room where the staff had made the bed with a heart of rose pedals, swiss chocolates and other canapés. While up there, the front desk called and asked if I had the keys to my car. I told them that I did, but that we would be leaving soon to return the car to the airport. I had not locked the car. When I got downstairs about 20 minutes later, there was a bell hop GUARDING my car!! I was blown away. He told me he was worried leaving the car unlocked, so simply waited for me to return.

Later that evening we went to the Leopard Room bar for drinks and a Great band. The service was impeccable.

When we returned to our room, there was another desert for us to have before bedtime. It was a wonderful experience. We were sorry that we only stayed one night, and will definitely be back soon. When we checked out, it felt like we were leaving home away from home.... a great feeling. Be sure to check this place out!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ronald R
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This small leading hotel is not very small, but it feels like home away from home. Beautifully located on the Quai, this hotel offers fantastic rooms, excellent and very personal service and one of the best hotel bars I've ever come across: the Leopard Bar. In a quiet and romantic setting, this bar boasts splendid cocktails and great live music (not so quiet but very nice). Highly recommended!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank ArentvanWassenaer
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Over the past year it has been our tradition to meet several times per year, during the fall and winter months, at the hotel for traditional afternoon high tea. We have never been disappointed. This time (Sunday 4 Nov) we were surprised with an upgraded offering and new china (appropriately matched by a new price). The afternoon was superb. Lovely and attentive service, excellent quality of food, attention to detail in table setting and decoration. It is always such a treat to spend a few hours, and the environment is simply welcoming, warm and cozy.
We will certainly return. Wonderful work being done at the hotel and the dedication to guest service shows.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel several times for many years it is always great the staff very friendly and efficient they make feel as you are the owner of the place , some rooms are very small others are ok and the rooms facing the lake wish they had bigger windows to enjoye the great view of the lake , but the rooms always clean clean never experienced it other wise and amenities is good , service excellent not to forget food is great and their hamburger is the best in town ,they have an afternoon tea which is fabiolus ,not to forget their bar with live music is the place in town where every one goes . i recommend it always to my friends but reserve early they do not have many rooms and most of time is full . one thing is not so great it is expensive but for 5 star hotel is with in the price of the other 5 stars hotels in Geneva .

Room Tip: if you want a good size roo get a deluxe room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Hertfordshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

This is a lovely old traditional hotel. The location is excellent, staff attentive and friendly and dining in "Windows" both high quality and unexpectedly good value. The hotel is surprisingly dog friendly (although, oddly, having taken our Labrador into the restaurant for every meal without incident, we had some problems with a huffy manager at the distinctly less sophisticated bar in the basement - a definite black mark.

In common with other reviews, we found the breakfast also below the standard expected - surprising, considering the exceptional quality of other meals. Our room was lovely, but a little smaller than expected. However did overlook the lake, albeit through a small-ish window.

Room Tip: Some Lake-view rooms can be small.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple