“LIKE YOUR HOME...”

GreenLeadersGold level
Thessaloniki, Greece
“LIKE YOUR HOME...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

The hotel is very well furnished,clean and comfortable.The location is very convinient and the view is fantastic.The staff is very friendly making everything possible that you feel at home. Everything was perfect and relaxing.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Jean-Vital D, Manager at Hotel d'Angleterre, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Dear Oyrania,
Thank you for your warm comment! I am glad you have enjoyed a perfect stay at the hotel. Being part of the Red Carnation Hotel Collection allows us to raise a family spirit in the hotel, which I think explains the home feeling you have had whilst staying with us. Our team members do care about their guests, from the concierge desk to the head barman, they are all passionate.
It is also true that our location is unique: overlooking Geneva harbour, its Jet d’Eau and the Mont-Blanc but only a few minutes walk away from the old town, the shopping area or train station.
I hope I will have the opportunity to greet you again soon in Geneva
Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

A very nice welcome at this hotel, the reception had coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits on offer which was great as the weather was freezing. Rooms were on the small side but very comfortable. We had no views apart from the building next door but could have paid extra for a lake view. Service was excellent and we had a good breakfast in the ground floor restaurant overlooking the lake and fountain. Everything i this hotel was nicely done, from the welcome to the nightly turn down, worth a visit.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank fordaleDoha
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

I travel so much that I am generally quite blase with hotels, service staff, restaurants. Anna from the front desk in this hotel was so impressive that I have to write a review on the spot.

This hotel is of a good 5 star standard. Generally very good by European standards. Probably because it is small, and it is easier to provide good service. That is expected that given the rates charged here.

When my air-con did not work, I spoke to Anna, and wow... she is impressive. She came to my room within two minutes of my call. Assured me that the technician will be where within 30 mins. Volunteered to change my room if I am not satisfied. I then went out for dinner. When I came back, she escorted me to the room, assured me that the air-con is now working (it is), and offered me a drink for the inconvenience experienced by me. This is impressive. She took charge and made me feel like a welcome guest. Lets just say that if I run a hotel or restaurant, I will poach her to run the establishment for me. Well done!

Come to think of it, most of the staff here are very responsive to attend to your needs. Dimitri was excellent in offering advice as to where to eat, where to get wines etc. The staff remembers your name when you get back after a long business day. For the above, and if Anna continues to be here, I will stay in this hotel when I come for business in Geneva. Well done!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SIN T
jfavre, General Manager at Hotel d'Angleterre, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Dear Singapore guest,
It was a pleasure reading your comments and a great motivation for Anna and Dimitri. I am sorry about the aircon problem. We just had a major rehauled that day...the timing was just right when it came back to work. Having worked myself in Singapore, I know how service is efficient in your country...a good exemple for us to follow.
I am sorry you did not have the time to use our restaurant but I hope the sole was to your taste...in your room.
I hope you'll be back soon so we can have drink and ..compare Singapore and Geneva.
Cordially yours !
Jacques Favre
Jacques Favre
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2012

We were on a 2 week trip to Europe and have stayed in hotels with excellent staff, but the service at d'Angleterre was the best. Our room was pretty small, and with no view but the bed was extremely comfortable, the linen and bathrobes immaculate and the view from the restaurant superb. The treats on the pillows at night were delicious. The staff could not have been more helpful or knowledgable, they walked us down to a nearby restaurant to make sure we didn't get lost, and showed us the subway to the riverbank to make sure we didn't get run over, fantastic! The hotel is a 10 minute walk from the station, Geneva provides free public transportation to hotel guests (ask the concierge) so it is easy to get around. As stated by others the streets behind the hotel have a lot of young women plying the oldest trade, my wife felt a little uncountable, but not unduly unsafe. The TA no.1 restaurant Bistro de Bouef Rouge is about 200m from the hotel but make sure you book early, we couldnt get a table on any of the 3 nights we were there. We thought we had breakfast included (entirely my assumption) which turned out not to be the case, great breakfast, but quite pricey! If you are not in a hurry, have breakfast after 10am as the fountain is turned on at that time.
Overall a really great place to stay, mainly because of the outstanding attitude and competence of the staff.

Room Tip: Can't unselect the pool! Don't think they have one
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Jean-Vital D, Manager at Hotel d'Angleterre, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Dear guest,
I was extremely glad to read that you have enjoyed your stopover in Geneva and particularly the hotel d’Angleterre. As a family ran hotel, we put our pride in making sure that all our rooms are immaculate and offer the best combination between traditional English comfort, decoration and service.
I really liked your comment regarding enjoying breakfast whilst watching the “Jet d’eau”, it’s a true must! You are right, during winter time, the jet d’eau starts at 10 am every morning. But as from today, 7th of May, starts summer season, and it will be turned on at 9 am until 11.15pm (weekends), meaning you can also enjoy Geneva’s Trademark during dinner time at the restaurant Windows!
I wish you all the best for the continuation of your European tour!
Kindest regards.
Jean-Vital Domézon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

The Gem of Geneva. The D’Angleterre is the jewel amongst high quality hotels.

The flawless service and attention to detail from every staff member is second to none, the doormen, reception staff, driver, restaurant staff, housekeeping and bar staff is magnificent, nothing is too much trouble for any of them.

In short, our whole experience from the D’Angleterre was perfect.

Thank you - Jean-Vital Domézon Bastien Peyraud and Matthieu Estival and for a never to be forgotten visit.

Nathalie, Helen, Christina

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

I've stayed in many 5 star properties before. But nothing compares to how immaculate everything was. Nothing out of place, descreet and attentive service. Windows is the most amazing place I have eatten. I was lucky enough to have dinner, breakfast and lunch. I have a food allergy and they could not have been more accommodating. No fuss, simply catered for.
I challenge anyone to find a hotel that has the staff that all have the same level of service.
Could not fault. In one word, IMMACULATE!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Jet D'eau if possible. Magnificent view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Jean-Vital D, Manager at Hotel d'Angleterre, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Dear James,
What a wonderful comment ! It has been a real pleasure for me to share your message with the whole team. Entertaining our guests, sharing the secret places of our town, discovering one of our most talented winemakers, Laurent Villard, and his wines as well as being driven by our multitalented and "immaculate" driver Mathieu, is a commitment to us.
We already have a few ideas for you next visit : what about a traditional Afternoon Tea served at the bottom of the "Jet d'eau" ?
I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in Geneva soon.
Warm Regards.
Jean-Vital Domézon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

Possibly one of THE BEST hotels in the world we've ever stayed in, in terms of location on the lake, efficiency and personal care of the front desk, speed of room service, luxurious snuggly ever bathroom towels and, if this isn't too much information, the world's softest loo rolls !
We were staying for 3 days visiting friends who live in Geneva. We'd already preplanned that we wanted to travel up into the surrounding mountains and along the lake shores independently at our own speed and (though their initial suggestions included chauffeur driven limos), they understood immediately and issued us with local public transport passes, maps and timetables covering buses, trolleys and the boats that criss-cross Lake Geneva.
Now that truly is style and attention to detail.
When friends came to pick us up, car space outside the hotel was instantly found, our hosts welcomed by name.
Yes, there are much cheaper lakeside starred hotels in Geneva....but only one Hotel d'Angleterre.
Splash out !

Room Tip: Obviously, facing the Lake.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Jean-Vital D, General Manager at Hotel d'Angleterre, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Dear Stuart,
Thanks you so much for your warm comment regarding your experience at the hotel d’Angleterre. I have already shared it with the rest of the team. Geneva and it’s surroundings are one of the best escapes for a week-end, only a few minutes away from London airports. No matter if you are keen on shopping, visiting, hiking there is always something to discover, should it be at the hotel d’Angleterre itself or in town. I glad that that you’ve tried some of the wines raised in Geneva: Aligoté and Merlot! Catherine, our sommelier has many more of them to suggest!
I hope you’ll be joining your friends again soon, giving us a new opportunity to welcome you and show you how much we care.
Kind regards