“Leaders in luxury and service for their clients. A hotel where nothing is too much trouble.”
Review of Hotel d'Angleterre

Hotel d'Angleterre
Ranked #2 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I recently had the opportunity to visit Switzerland and stayed at this hotel in the excellent city of Geneva. The location was amazing. From my bedroom window I could see the famous lake and the whole old city and further back were the peaks of the mountains On arrival we were greeted by a highly professional team Including the General Manager Mr Jaques and mr John Vittel. They all knew our names and addressed us very nicely. At this moment i knew we had made the correct choice of hotel The check in procedure was smooth and the concierge came to greet us and assist us in any questions we had about our surrounding area and any trips we needed information on.

We were accompanied to our room which was beautiful. Highest standards with the views one only dreams off. My husband and I enjoyed hot drinks whilst we made our plans.

The next morning we feasted on the breakfast in the hotel restaurant the buffet had a huge variety of food and the hot breakfast was made when one was ready with no rushing at all.

I am in awe of this hotel. The ambience the service the atmosphere the location are just second to none.

• Stayed: October 2011
5  Thank saabLondon

Reviewed October 9, 2011

A beautiful boutique hotel located near Lake Geneva. The hotel staff are friendly, courteous and helpful and made my 2 weeks stay in Geneva very pleasant.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank SashaKhan
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Hotel d'Angleterre in Geneva is a perfect small luxury hotel, in a great location. To walk along the Lake we just had to cross the road, and we were also in walking distance from the old city. Our welcome in the hotel could not have been friendlier. Check-in was very efficient, and very soon we were in our lovely room (we had a "deluxe" room). Beautiful decoration: pale wooden floor, off-white furniture and doors, fabric wall coverings with a red décor, beautiful curtains. Very comfortable bed, large television with many channels, walk-in closet. Large bathroom, with (of course) bathrobes and slippers, and with Penhaligon toiletries. Very good individually controlled airconditioning. Fresh fruit, mineral water, sweets, and lots of individually wrapped chocolates (mmmm!). But best of all was the view of Lake Geneva, right in front of the famous water-jet, and with the Mont Blanc in the background. (Later in the evening we saw the sunset on Mont Blanc, it was incredible!). Very good turn-up service in the evening. A very good breakfast the next morning.
The public areas in the hotel are beautifully furnished in a traditional way, always very comfortable. The staff is just wonderful, so friendly and effective. Do not think of those shallow professional smiles that disappear as soon as the customer has turned away. In this hotel the staff gives the impression that they really are happy to see you!!
We had dinner in the Windows restaurant, and we were very surprised that this restaurant does not (yet) have a Michelin Star. The food (including the presentation and the amuses), the wine list, and the service are all that even the most demanding guest can wish. (You may also want to read my separate review of this restaurant.)
We did not go to the Bar Lounge Leopard, and we did not use the fitness center. That will have to wait till next time: we will certainly be back in this perfect hotel!

4  Thank Hawet
Reviewed September 16, 2011

I was not impressed by the pictures posted on the hotel website But when I arrived and after I stayed there I should admit I was positively impressed by the place. Rooms are comfy and very clean. Being part of the small and luxury hotels group, you will find the same services all these hotels offer, which mean great rooms, and attentive services. The bathroom amenities are top class (Hermes green orange) and the staff very friendly. Great breakfast. And it is just opposite to the lake and 10-15mn from the old town. This is now my business hotel in Genava.

Room Tip: Room without lake view are more quiet and cheaper
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank HongkongInvictus
Reviewed September 15, 2011

The Hotel D'angleterre is outwardly the epitome of European style and class. My family and I have stayed at many of the world's best hotels, and D'angleterre is certainly competitive in regards to amenities and ambiance. It is in a convenient and scenic location on Lake Geneva, within walking distance to many of the city's sights.

However, as nice as the hotel appears, there were so many problems with our stay that I can not possibly leave them a positive review. Allow me to explain.

1. We asked for directions from the airport to the hotel and were given very bad directions that took us an hour and a half greatly out of our way and caused us to incur expensive railway ticket charges. This was easily avoidable, but the hotel employee was careless and so we were very much put out. As upsetting as this was, it was the hotel desk clerk who made the situation worse. I politely explained what had happened and all he wanted to do was to argue with me while ignoring my concerns. I received no apology and this was disappointing. (I called the manager about the issue and he was kind enough to offer free drinks, but still no actual apology).

2. I found the food service to be spotty and inconsistent. Dinner at the Windows restaurant was delightful, but at breakfast we had two orders come to our table incorrectly (eggs cooked poorly and with the wrong accompaniments). We also ordered ice to the room and it never came, which was puzzling.

3. We found ourselves unfortunately stuck in the elevator and was forced to use the buzzer to call for assistance. Why did the elevator malfunction? I have no clue, but the hotel employee seemed to think it was my fault, which was crazy but sort of sums up this hotels attitude towards their guests.

4. We prepaid for the hotel before we arrived, but upon check out the desk clerk presented us with a bill for our stay. I had to explain and spell out to the person why I should not have a bill. It was eventually fixed, but it is this complete lack of attention to detail that one does not expect to see at a hotel of this caliber.

5. The shower was malfunction when we arrived and we had to wait while it was being fixed. We were not offered a different room, we simply had to wait around while the repairman fixed the issue.

6. Last but not least, they had the audacity to attempt to charge me for taxes that I had indeed prepaid at the time of booking. My booking confirmation form said clearly "taxes prepaid." I was however presented with a bill for taxes, to which I presented my receipt showing that they were included to which he said "no, you have to pay these taxes." He said that I prepaid for the VAT tax, which is a ridiculous statement. As anyone who has spent any time in Europe knows, VAT is always included, it is never separate. He was attempting to gloss over the issue by telling me anything to get me out of the lobby, instead of honoring the terms of the booking. I called the travel agency whom I booked the hotel through and they said that I had prepaid the taxes and deserved a refund. They sent a letter to to D'Angleterre stating the same, but predictably D'Angleterre told them no, that I would not be getting my taxes back. So, even though taxes were included at the time of booking I was forced to pay for them again. Of course, this is a matter of principle and not actually about the money. However it is frustrating to deal with a hotel that makes up the rules as it goes along regardless of the price paid at the time of booking.

So, all in all, this hotel was a great disappointment. With attitude such as theirs, I have absolutely no idea how they achieved a high Tripadvisor rating in the first place. I understand that things do go wrong and that a hotel can not be perfect every time. Things happen, that's life. What amazes me about this hotel is that the things that they had control over, they would not help me with. All that I wanted in each of these cases was an apology, but they were to proud. If the hotel responds to this Tripadvisor review I can only imagine how arrogant it will sound. When I was making my complaints at the hotel in no instance did I ask for or expect anything more than an apology (except for the taxes, which I do intend to get back before things are done with).

Next time we are in Geneva we will be staying at the Four Seasons where I know that if issues arise they are handled with professionalism and care. We've stayed at many Four Reasons properties and have never had a single problem; we should have done so this time. Thank you for your time.

18  Thank Lawbooks01
Jean-Vital D, Manager at Hotel d'Angleterre, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review regarding the style and the location of our hotel.

I was really disappointed to learn that we have not been able to meet your expectations and that you have not had the desired empathy from our staff.

Be sure that I am highly concerned by every single of your comments and take them very seriously. I have personally already started dealing with some of the issues you have raised to ensure this will not happen twice.

Our aim at the Hotel d’Angleterre is to provide the best experience and ensure all of our guests leave with great memories of their stay. I will get in touch with you to discuss with you and see if you would consider giving us a second chance to prove how important happy guests are to us.

Respectful regards.

Jean-Vital Domézon
Deputy Manager
jvdomezon@rchmail.com

Reviewed September 11, 2011

From the moment we arrived every member of the staff knew our names and no task was too difficult - the concierge even walked us to the lake steamer to make sure that we got on the right one! The room was excellent and the location is superb with a great view of the lake and an easy walk to the left bank. (there are also free watertaxis right opposite the hotel) As the hotel is small it has the feeling of a home away from home and the staff take great care of every guest. You will not regret staying here. The Leopard Bar is fun and very busy after 9pm often with live music.

Room Tip: we had a side room with a balcony and had a great view of the jet so a lake facing room is not a mus...
1  Thank susanne h
Reviewed September 9, 2011

We just returned from a one week trip through the Berner Oberland by way of Geneva, and our stay at the Angleterre was the icing on the cake. This hotel is spectacular, from the convient address-across from the lake and many restaurants, to the well appointed rooms, and great service, really pleasant staff. The beds were very comfy and felt great after a week of hiking in the Alps. My only regret is that we didn't know what we were missing and could easily have stayed longer. We will be sure to return.

1  Thank LaurieAZ