“Great Cheese Fondue”

Cuisines: Italian, Swiss
Neighborhood: Cornavin
Neighborhood: Cornavin
Reviewed November 3, 2013

One of the better tasting cheese fondues I've tasted . This is a tourist place close to the train station. Do not expect nice views. The waiters were very efficient and prompt and anticipates customer's needs.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We visit Geneva at least twice a year and La Matze is always on our lunch or dinner schedule. It is very reasonably priced for Geneva. We typically have the roasted chicken, which is very good. They also have good pastas and pizza. This is not a fancy place, just a basic, good restaurant.

The place is loaded with locals at lunch time, so although they get their share of tourists due to the location, the locals definitely love this place. In the summer, many people sit on the "terrace" outside, which is a pleasant people watching location.

The personnel can be a bit reserved with tourists, but we have found they warm up to us just fine. In fact, we dropped by for an early lunch the other day and the hostess was not in front, so we just sat down at a table. When the hostess came out, she sat us at a semi-round booth (the second best in the house - the first was occupied) and told us "this is much better" - and it was. They have several waitpeople on staff that speak good enough English and if not, just point at the menu - you'll do just fine.

I'm sorry to read that other people have had bad experiences here, but over the past ten years, we've never been disappointed.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We understood when visiting Paris and Switzerland that there would be a fair amount of cultural difference we would need to make allowance for.
When we went to dine at this restaurant however, we were not greeted and even after several "bonjour!"'s from us, the response was only stony silence.
And though it was virtually empty, the old man seated us just about on top of the only other couple there. My friend and I expressed a desire to sit elsewhere and that we would move should they suddenly have 16 people arrive to dine at the same time. This was forbidden.
We had brought a bottle of wine special to us and enquired about corkage, at which the man said yes sure no problem twice, which surprised us but pleased us enough to stay. When we asked for the corkscrew it was as if we had insulted his mother. So as not to be looked at down a long crooked nose all evening, we thankfully left.

2  Thank Sim H
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This restaurant is in an area near the main station that is packed with fairly similar places. The food is quite good and the prices are reasonable (for Geneva, as always has to be said) but the night we there every table was occupied by tourists (including us, naturally). The service was friendly and prompt but this is not a place to go if you want to go where the locals eat. Try a bit further from the station.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I was in Geneva for work for just one night. A colleague and I had a walk around to sniff out somewhere to eat and after half an hour or so of peering in windows and reading menus, we decided on La Matze. The prices looked acceptable, given that this is expensive Geneva, but perhaps what swung it was the woman who at that moment just happened to usher some people in at the door. She looked friendly and welcoming and that is how she proved to be, serving us throughout in English with a smile and patience.

My friend and I shared a salad starter, basically rocket with warm sliced mushrooms in a light sauce. Tasty and went well with the crusty white bread. He followed with slices of veal and I had the chicken roasted with herbs (a small, but ample, half-chicken). Both dishes came with French fries and a token amount of vegetables. Afterwards we shared a portion of tarte tatin. We drank a couple of glasses (33cl) of cold lager each with our meal. Everything was perfectly good, and we didn't expect haute cuisine. Neither of us, I'm slightly ashamed to say, opted for more traditional dishes such as the raclette, fondue, charbonnade or perch.

It was fairly busy and the atmosphere cosy and comfortable. The service was attentive and prompt and even after we'd finished our coffee and sat chatting for at least another 30 minutes, we were never pressured to order more or to leave and the bill only came when asked for.

I didn't pay and forgot to have a look what it came to, but I seem to recall that my chicken came to about 25 euros. I'd guess that the bill came to 120-140 euros. This isn't a cheap city.

1  Thank Mick_P