“Headquarters of the UN in Geneva”

UNOG - Palais des Nations
Ranked #11 of 149 things to do in Geneva
Geneva, Switzerland
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Headquarters of the UN in Geneva”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Until a few years ago it was very simple to visit and eat in the restaurants now it is virtually impossible except on a guided tour with entry only from the main gate.

Visited April 2013

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Rushed & closed off”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I was disappointed with this. After reading about the tour here and visiting the UN in New York ten years ago I was really looking forward to this visit when I went to Geneva.

The entrance is at the back of the complex so you have a long walk from the tram stop which looks like it was the main entrance in the past.

Our guide rushed us through the complex only stopping twice. We passed interesting art and other displays but weren't allowed to look at them as we had to 'stay with the tour'. You couldn't go outside any of the buildings or look at any of the monuments in the park for 'security reasons'. This disappointed me as I really wanted to see the soviet space memorial. It also struck me as not being what the aristocrat who left the land to the city wanted when he left it to the people of the city.

Our guide was quite arrogant and more interested in telling us his political views rather than explaining the buildings features.

Although the tour was interesting I got the impression that visitors weren't really wanted at the site and that the people there wanted to keep it for the elite alone which to me is against the whole point of the UN. At the very least they should provide a cafe and access to the park complex, even if only by guided tour

1 Thank Robu-san
Yateley, United Kingdom
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Interestingly different”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We arrived here early and were lucky to find a parking space on the road pretty much right outside the main gate where you go in for tours (opposite the Red Cross Museum). Be aware though that parking is restricted to 90 minutes and you need a blue disk to display your arrival time. Also you will need your passport or some other form of photo ID in order to get your UN visitors pass (only one per party, but a great souvenir to keep!). We hadn't booked a tour (which you do have to pay for) and so waited for the next English one, which wasn't long. Being early we didn't queue, however when we came out about 2pm there was quite a line of people queuing to get in. The tour itself was very interesting but could have been more informative about the UN's role now; it tended to focus on the buildings, art and history of the UN. The guide spoke good English and gave lots of time for questions.

Visited August 2013
“Interesting, but not exactly as I expected.”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

The tour around the United Nations offices was good, but not great. Much of the time was spent showing all the art pieces donated to the UN over the years, which was not exactly as I expected. We chose a tour in English, which was delivered by a Spaniard. Unfortunately, although I have lived in many cultures and accents, he spoke very quickly and I could not understand all of what he said even though I am a native speaker. I felt sorry for those non-native english speakers who chose an english tour due to lack of a tour in their native language.
Security only took a few minutes. It was worth the hour it took, but be careful of the parking wardens on Avenue de la Paix, who are ruthless in their enforcement of the alloted parking time!!

Visited July 2013
Batu Gajah, Malaysia
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Come early as it closes at 5.30 pm”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We came late and it's already close despite the sunny summer weather. But the surrounding area was not bad too to walk about.