“Great Balkan menu”

Auberge du Grand-Saconnex
Ranked #675 of 1,675 Restaurants in Geneva
Cuisines: European, Croatian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Geneva, Switzerland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Balkan menu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

We've tried Sopska Salata, Cevapcici, Pleskavica and Baklava for desert. Everything was delicious, they even have real Ajvar and Jelen beer! Definitely a place to recommend when you want to try Balkan specialities.

• Visited February 2014

Tenbury Wells, United Kingdom
“Great for a meal outside or inside before a flight!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

We were looking for a restaurant near the airport and came across this one on the main road with lots of parking nearby. (You need a Swiss parking disk, but we risked it and in any case restrictions only in place till 7pm and it was 6.30pm.
The restaurant offered a selection of salads, steaks etc as well as a variety of Balkan dishes as the owner was from that region. Although service didn't officially start till 7pm our order was taken at 6.40 as we had to get back to the airport to catch a flight. We were served promptly and it was a very pleasant experience.

Visited July 2013
New Delhi, India
“Nice and friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

A nice place for a Friday afternoon beer with friends. Nice, friendly and unobtrusive service. The beer is always cold and frothy.

Visited June 2012
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Good food - not to expensive for Geneva...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

I lived in Grand-Saconnex for almost 14 years and saw this place change ownership quite some time ago. Some Serbian colleagues and friends mentioned that they served Balkan food several times to me. I assumed they were mad, as the name did not indicate any Yugoslavian origin. At one point an Swiss colleague suggested that we have lunch there. I was a bit surprised. Expecting some overpriced Swiss brasserie style food, I was very skeptical. However, when we got there, at about 12:30pm there were quite a few people there and the menu composed of both Balkan (cervicici - perhaps I cannot spell it write) and local/international cuisine was offered to us in a very friendly manner. I tried the fillet de perche, which I felt was far less overpriced and better tasting than some restaurants at the lake side. I came back to this restaurant with my Serbian friends several weeks later and enjoyed the Balkan cuisine very much. I must admit that I am by no means an afficionado of this type of cuisine - but I very much enjoyed the familiar atmosphere and friendly service.

• Visited February 2012
Geneva, Switzerland
“Pleasant surprise... well worth a visit for authentic & delicious Serbian cuisine!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

We have lived within walking distance to this restaurant for years and never tried it because the outside didn't look so inviting. But some Serbian friends recently took us to dine there and we could not believe how delicious the food was.

The ingredients are good quality and the presentation equally appealing. The decor is not exceptional, but still reasonable and the interior is pleansant enough and comfortable. It's true that the bar clients in the front can be a bit loud, but it was not at all disturbing. We also noticed a terrace which will surely be a treat come warmer weather.

This is by no means a posh or trendy restaurant. But if you are looking for quality and interesting food at very reasonable prices in a friendly atmosphere, then it's well worth a visit.

Oh and there is easy public parking across the street...or direct access with the no.5 bus which stops right in front.

• Visited March 2012