“Unique and interesting”

Neighborhood: Pâquis-Temple
Perth, Australia
“Unique and interesting”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

It is a simple little hole in the wall of a cafe/restaurant and the food was really good. The injera was very tasty and blended perfectly with the flavours of the vegetarian dish I ate. If you're a non-French speaker, it is a little bit tough as the waiter on the day we went spoke no English, but pointing and gesturing it us by and we really enjoyed it. I'd go again if I was still in Geneva!

Visited May 2012

• Korean first
Geneva
“My best Ethiopian/Eritrean restaurant in Geneva, forget the simplicity of the decoration”
Reviewed March 10, 2012

From all the ethiopiant restaurant this one is the one I prefer for the food quality.
The ambiance is simple and the service as well but polite which is the most important.
The choice for wines is simple, I can recommend a south african wine which is very nice.
The prices are normal and not too expensive for my point of view.

If I go back with friends who wants to try that knid of food I would bring them there.

• Visited January 2012
3 Thank prx187
Leeds, UK
“Take the plunge and try it - you''ll enjoy the Eritrean experience”
Reviewed August 16, 2011

To be pedantic, I think this restaurant is probably Eritrean rather than Ethiopian, but they are closely linked and as well as Eritrean food they do have Ethiopian (and I think some Indian) dishes.

The Paquis district is what is often euphemistically described as edgy - its poor (by Geneva standards), it includes the red light district, and its home to a lot of immigrants many of whom have come from Eritrea, and a few of whom have set up restaurants. The Paquis is also home to a few 4 star hotels, one of which I was staying in. I suspect a lot of the visitors to those hotels would turn up their noses and walk past the Eritrean restaurants, but if they do they are missing a treat. To be fair my hotel receptionist did recommend Zara 2001 to me.

This is no fancy restaurant, but it seemed to me to be clean and its certainly comfortable and friendly. A small number of locals from the Eritrean and other communities seem to come here just to drink and socialise. To me that just added to the experience and the laid back atmosphere.

I tried a special plate to sample both "Tibsi" (spicy lamb stew) and "Zegni" (spicy beef stew) together with lentil, spinach and other side dishes. The stews are served on several "injera" (a kind of spongy pancake) and more "injera" accompany it. You eat the dishes with the injera - no knives, forks and spoons, but as they say when in Eritrea (or even an Eritrean restaurant) do as the Eritreans do !!

The food was excellent. I particularly enjoyed the Tibsi, which is prepared with chilli, onions, tomatoes and the special herb and spice mix (berbere). Swiss beer seemed the best thing to drink with the meal, though wine is available. By Geneva standards the food here is reasonably priced.

A real revelation. I'd never eaten Eritrean food before, but it was a taste sensation. It may not look much from the outside, but go inside and you will enjoy a good meal.

• Visited August 2011
DC
“Not recommended”
Reviewed June 10, 2009

I ate there a few times and then the on the night of my last visit I had trouble finding the ladies room and ended up in the kitchen. Don't think they would pass a health inspection. The food tasted great every night. Their ingera is great but I don't think I would go back.