“Good Food in a Lively Atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Luce

Luce
Ranked #6 of 515 Restaurants in Bern
Good for: Romantic, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Solothurn, Switzerland
“Good Food in a Lively Atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to me by a friend who has business lunches and dinners very often in Bern. We were looking for a good quality restaurant to take my mother-in-law who was visiting us from Germany (but nothing super special since we already had a fancy dinner planned for the next night in Luzern).

After the Bern Lightshow (which you should see if you are in Bern from mid-Oct to the end of Nov), we walked the 300 yards to this restaurant. It was packed with locals at 19:30. A group of 3 in front of us did not have a reservation and, to their disappointment, they were told there was no way to get a table that night. Therefore, you should definitely make a reservation.

If you are looking for a place to have a quiet, romantic meal, this definitely is not the restaurant. Tables are situated rather close together, waiters are often moving tables around to seat difference sized groups, and it is just a loud and lively atmosphere. It wasn't bad, but it was definitely not calm and quiet. Though keep in mind that maybe we were there during an exceptionally busy day/time/season, so it could be much more relaxing during non-peak hours/days/seasons.

However, in terms of food, everything was enjoyable. Both my husband and my mother-in-law ordered the seasonal special of deer and really enjoyed it. I had a pesto pasta, and although they serve it with a cream sauce, it was very good. I have ordered pesto pasta in three different restaurants in Switzerland (once in Bern and twice in Solothurn) and they always use cream in it, which is not normal in other countries (usually has just an olive oil base).

Compared to other restaurants IN Switzerland, I would say that the value was really good. The portions are good and the quality was very nice. For foreigners, please keep in mind that Switzerland is definitely on the more expensive side and paying 18-25 CHF for pasta or pizza is normal. I did, however, find the drinks to be overly priced in comparison. I usually pay 5 CHF for a half a liter bottle of water and here it was about 7 CHF. The beer was also rather expensive in comparison to other Swiss restaurants that we have frequented, though I cannot remember exactly how much.

They do have outdoor seating, but it is not covered. I presume they only use it for lunch on days with good weather and for dinner during the summer months when it is not raining.

All in all, we enjoyed it and my husband and I intend to go back again for something like a dinner and movie night. We would recommend this place to other friends as a restaurant to go to for non-special occasion meals -- just a simple night out. The overall ranking of 4 out of 5 is due to the taste of the food and the value compared to other restaurants in Switzerland.

• Visited November 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
UK
“Saddens me to have to write this but.....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

It is a real shame that I've had to write this review as I've enjoyed many lovely meals at Luce's in the past but the latest experience warrants another review. We went there for a special occasion so made sure we booked ahead. However, the place was very busy and this resulted in a very poor experience for something which should have been a special night out. We were a party of three and were placed on the end of a large table, with one of us cramped into a corner and the other being knocked by waiting staff going backwards and forwards - it was like they didn't like having an odd number so just stuck us somewhere to make use of spare chairs. There was a party of four sharing the table with us, who had two children who weren't the best behaved - luckily, they left before our food arrived as one child in particular was starting to invade our dining space! The food and drinks order was taken in a rushed manner - it was if they just wanted to leave the table as soon as possible to get to another table. And then two of the dishes arrived at least 7-8 mins before the others. When the rest came, there was still a pizza bread dish missing from the order to go with the soup. We had to ask twice for the missing dish, but by the time it EVENTUALLY turned up, the soup had been finished. When one of the party pointed this out politely to the waiter, he said 'Pah!', scowled, gestured rudely and stalked off. Additionally, the fish dish was rubbery and below average. We decided not to stick around for dessert or coffee as it was a very poor experience from start to finish. Like I said, I've had many good meals at this place which is why it was chosen for this special occasion, but going on the latest experience, it will be a while before we venture out to eat here again.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Giggles123
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Good Food & Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

We ate dinner twice at Luce and enjoyed them very much. Although most people like to sit on the terrace, we enjoyed sitting inside the restaurant by the window. The manager and staff communicated with each other mainly in Italian and there appeared to many regular customers, which were good indications to us. The service was good and well paced. We enjoyed the mixed salad, pizzas, pesto pasta dish and the veal scallopine. The restaurant gets very busy during the dinner hour and reservations are recommended.

• Visited September 2013
Singapore, Singapore
“Overall dinner was nice but a bit pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

We had our first and last dinner in Luce as we only spend one day in Bern before proceed to Interlaken, it was intro by the information counter where we park our car. Luce was in full house when we step in, we were arranged to sit at the Bar counter while waiting in less than 10 minutes.

Serve a few small pieces of plane pizza once we were sitting down, it was tasty. My husband and me order fried squid, BBQ veal both come with salad and a side dish of fried potato, a glass of red wine total CHF68. BBQ veal cut into a thin slice, I felt it was too thin and it could be better if cut into a thick slice; fried potato was surprisingly delicious.

Overall food taste was nice but quality was average so i think it was a bit pricey. Restaurant atmosphere was cozy, feel good to dine here as can tell all customers were local to chit out/ dine here after working hour.

• Visited May 2013
Barcelona, Spain
“Average food quality”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Great location and service. It was really cool to enjoy lunch at the terrace.
However I can't say the same about the food. Just average pizza and pasta quality.

Visited August 2013