“Entrecote & Tignanello...”

Cuisines: European, Grill
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We went there, it was fully booked, but we go a table late at night. If you go there then it is for it's fabolous location and the delicious entrecote. The wine has a very reasonable price and makes it a good occasion to drink something serious.
I can reccomend this restaurant to any non vegetarian person.

1  Thank Thomas_Moritz

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We had heard that the ECF was on the list of "must do" places to eat in Bern. So we "did" it. But frankly, it's nothing special. The setting is pleasant enough, but it's not worth the money (maybe the same could be said of every eatery in Bern? I hope not, but I'm not an authority). I don't believe that simply being able to cook a steak, fry fries and open a bottle of wine are things that entitle a restaurant to make any claim to doing anything that ressembles creative cooking. I guess you could salute them for reducing everything to the lowest common denominator, but really, it's a very basic menu, and it doesn't come cheap.... We had dinner for three (no starters, no dessert, one bottle of wildly average wine) for almost 200 CHF. Oh, and they forget our order (must have been the vegetarian dish!), so it was beyond slow. While our serveurs were most pleasant, as far as I could tell, no one was actually running the place... Anyway, nice ambience! Ps, the price suggested by Trip Advisor is beyond misleading, unless you are just having bread. Trying doubling the amount and watch the drinks... Frankly, I don't understand the positive spin on the other comments here.

5  Thank sandejo
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Sat on terrace outside with excellent entrecote. The meat was so tender as if it was melting on my tongue! The dessert, a chocolat mouse with so called Gruyere double cream was a delicious finish of the lunch.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

We as a family decided to have dinner at the Cafe Federal at the Bundesplatz close to the Swiss Parliament.

The Federal is a well known place in Bern. It hast a small menu card - just one page. One of the favorites courses on the card is the Entercote "type of steak" which is served which thin French fries and sauce Bearnaise. As a starter a fresh, a really fresh salade is included. They serve the entercote in 3 sizes 140 gr, 200 gr and 240 gr. My wife and I we had a medium size entercote and is was definitely enough for both of us. So we decided to skip the sweats.

The waitress was friendly and fast. We got anyway the impression it is a good team serving the customers.

2  Thank Marcel B
Reviewed April 12, 2013

A must-visit for carnivores as the steak with cafe de Paris sauce is excellent, as are the chips that come with it. There are a few other non-steak options including perch filets but beef is definitely the main event. Cozy dining room and friendly multilingual service, open until late. The price guide on TripAdvisor is a little misleading and a 200g steak is around 40 CHF.