“Restaurant”

Schwellenmaetteli Restaurants
Ranked #45 of 519 Restaurants in Bern
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Asian, Swiss, European, Central European
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Scenic view, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Integrated into the unique environment between water and forest, the gastronomic oasis in the Bernese Riviera has an uninterrupted views of the Bernese old town. Recreation meets urban lifestyle and modern architecture surrounded by diverse nature.
“Restaurant”
Reviewed March 9, 2012

a bit outside of town in a wonderful spot. They serve good food and it is also just nice to go there and enjoy a warm summer evening.

• Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Leinfelden-Echterdingen, Germany
“Location, location...”
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I have eaten here twice in the last year. The location is good but there are many other better restaurants in Bern. Service is not good enough for somewhere of this price category,´unfortunately this is often to be found in Bern. The food was ok but overpriced. Go for a drink on the terrace and go elsewhere to eat.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank Alan198471
Bern, Switzerland
“What a location”
Reviewed January 10, 2012

Probably the best location in town, water gushing under you and lighing that compliments it. Sadly the food does not quite keep up with the ideal location and steep prices

Calabasas, California
“Horrible way to end the day”
Reviewed January 4, 2012

My husband and I came here to eat dinner after spending the day wandering around Bern and enjoy the sheer beauty it had to offer. This restaurant was mentioned in Rick Steve's book about Switzerland and was also recommended by the receptionist at our front desk. We arrived and were a bit confused as to which door we should use and which restaurant we needed to go to. Then once inside it took a long time before someone noticed us and seated us.

Once seated they brought us only one menu in English and the other in German, which is nice they have the menu translated, but it would have been nice to have two. I asked for tap water and my husband ordered beer. Unfortunately they didn't listen and delivered bottle water instead. We then debated over the menu for a few minutes since we had to share a menu. When the server came back to take our order we both asked for the pumpkin soup and I ordered the red snapper while my husband ordered the rabbit.

We already knew that dinners were longer (slower) in European countries in comparisons to what we were used to in the United States. It took about 20 minutes for our soup to come out and it was good, but pretty neutral in flavor. Our server finally came back to get our soup bowls and then we waited and waited and waited for our dinner. It was about 30 + minutes before our dinner arrived.

I attempted to cut into my fish with my knife but was having no luck. I then attempted to cut it with my knife and using the side of my fork to cut it. It finally came off after working on it for a bit. I then attempted to cut a piece of avocado to pair with the piece of fish. Unfortunately they had used an avocado that had not ripened enough so it was hard and not as flavorful as it should have been. I put the first bite in my mouth and the fish was rubbery and overly salted and the avocado was hard and chewy. After eating the first bite I then tasted the lentils which were extremely over salted to say the least.

My husband kept on making faces as he ate his rabbit dish and said it was the worst meal he has ever eaten. He said the pieces on the end of the skewer were over-cooked, rubbery and flavorless. He tried one of the pieces near the middle and said it was over cooked on the outside but raw on the inside. On the whole skewer he only got one piece of meat that was decently cooked but he said it didn't taste that great.

I stopped eating my plate after the one bite of fish and two bites of lentils. After ten minutes or so our server stopped by our table and asked what was wrong. I stated that the fish was rubbery and I had a hard time cutting it. He offered to replace the dish with something else so I decided to stick with salad since they haven't been successful cooking meat or fish thus far.

My salad came out finally and it was the typical smallish size of a restaurant like this. It was a decent enough salad but nothing great. We finished with our dishes and we waited at least 20 minutes or more before our server came by to check on us. We told him we wanted the check which took him about 5 + minutes to prepare. He handed us the folder with the check which we reviewed and showed the charge for the bottle of water, and they had removed the cost of my fish but still had charged for the salad. He took our card and brought over a handheld credit card machine to our table to charge us and said "We tasted the fish in the back and it tasted perfectly to us. You must be used to something different from where we are from." The receipt printed at that time and he handed it to my husband to sign, and I was happy to see there was no place to tip since we were beyond disgusted with this place and their horrible service. Normally we tip even when service was bad, but the last sentence he said really rubbed us the wrong way.

We understand that food varies from place to place and that taste varies in different countries and regions. Unfortunately I live where majority of the US avocados are harvested and have tried a variety of avocados so I would know good avocado. I also understand that no fish should be so hard to cut that you need a fork and a knife to be used as knives. I like salt as much as the next person but when it taste like I am licking a cow lick or drinking cup after cup of ocean water there is something wrong.

I wouldn't ever return to this restaurant even if it was the last place to eat at.

• Visited December 2011
3 Thank Courtney S
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible service”
Reviewed October 28, 2011

Although we ordered a good table on phone, noone from the staff could bring us to that table. When we finally were seated, the staff was unfriendly and service extremely slow. If you are a tourist - pay in Swiss Francs as their exchange rate is 5% lower than official rate on capital market. It is sad that this nicely located restaurant have such arrogant service and overpriced menues.

1 Thank Boroooo