“To be avoided!”

Cuisines: Swiss
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We spent a day in Bern to watch the "Bärengrabe". Walking down Marktgasse we stopped because we loved the style of the restaurant. A typical swiss style.
Next to us, a couple walked away after 20 minutes because nobody came to take their order. We had the same treatment but we decided to stay. That's was our mistake. The food was poor. My tartare (which I ordered medium) was so spicy that I could not retain to cry and my stomack had hard time for the all day.
They made a mistake with the bill as well. They charges us with 2 drinks that we never ordered.
Bern is a very beautiful city, but for God sake, don't stop at the Ratskeller!!

3  Thank Lochni

Reviewed July 30, 2012

We took a late lunch stop on the way back to Germany from the French Alps and selected the Ratskeller, because it serves meals all day and I had it in good memory from an earlier visit.

The food is tasty and well-prepared, with fresh ingredients and there are many interesting choices on the menu. The main problem is the (lack of) service. There was only one waitress for the whole place and she was not up to the job. On arrival no one was to be seen. We sat at an outdoor table which after a short while became too sunny. It was possible to get a shadier table, but we had to organize the move ourselves. It took a long time time before we could order and an even longer time to get the food (even though 3 of 4 people ordered the same dish). All in all it took 1:15h to eat a single course and that was only possible, because I paid for the whole table directly on the way out. The portions are rather small and clearly intended to be part of a 2-3 course meal. It was not possible to have additional bread, because there was no one around to ask for it. The location is excellent, the outdoor tables offer a great view of the quaint houses in Gerechtigkeitsgasse. The prices are simply too high, however, for what is on offer. With most main dishes above 30Sfr serious understaffing is not acceptable.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

We'd had a good meal there a few months earlier, and went back to confirm. This time we were disappointed with the food, but more so with the service. We came for lunch, and ordered the rack of lamb, only to be told that "the oven was off" so we could not have it. Odd, and odder still not to have said so up front ("We have everything today except the lamb, and anything else that needs to be cooked."). So we both had the cream of asparagus soup, which was tasty, but one of us had to wait ("the second bowl isn't hot enough yet" said the waiter --!?!). When the second bowl did arrive, it (unlike the first bowl) had no actual asparagus in it. The steak tatar with calvados was as advertised, but not remarkable. The loin of lamb (apparently cooked stovetop, since no oven was required) was good -- large portion, perfectly done, tasty. We skipped dessert and coffee. The waiter apologized for the service and missing menu items (but did not offer anything in return beyond his sorrow).

Reviewed April 22, 2012

If you want to eat "Wild," this is the place to do it. Try the venison platter for two (it could easily feed four). Service is excellent, and each dish is cooked to perfection. This is one of our favorite "special occasion" restaurants. It's not outrageously expensive by Bern standards ($38-50 for an entree), and everything we've tried is delicious. The menu tends more towards the classic than the experimental.

Reviewed January 23, 2012

My wife and I visited this restaurant several years ago and enjoyed an acceptable lunch so when we recently found ourselves with time to kill in Berne we decided to revisit - what a mistake to make.
Although redecorated the restaurant was much as we remembered so we were confident of a good lunch. I ordered the onion soup which had a unique flavour but it was not unpalatable, my wife had a green salad. So far so good.
For my main course I chose rosti and the local bratwurst with onion gravy the former was grossly under cooked and the sausage was tasteless - I left nearly all of it. My wife chose calves liver which was virtually raw. I tasted a piece and it was simply inedible. I drew our displeasure of the food to the waiter who simply repeated several times 'I'm sorry'. Despite my complaint I was charged full price for the food which with an unremarkable half bottle of wine was an astonishing £90!!

1  Thank EDRICE