“It's basic, but then so is the comparative central Bern price”
Review of Hotel National AG

Hotel National AG
Ranked #25 of 30 Hotels in Bern
“It's basic, but then so is the comparative central Bern price”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We had asked for a back quiet room due to other comments on Trip Advisor, but were given a corner room at the front. However, there was very little noise from the street; a bit of a quiet rumble when trams went past, and some squeaking of the power lines, but that's all. However the curtains are thin, and there are street lighs outside, so the room is very bright at all times. An iron is available, but it's down past reception - the nearest laundry is 25 minute walk away. Hairdryers are also with reception - and there weren't any drawers anywhere! Breakfast was very basic, bread and cheese, muesli and cornflakes, rather nasty croissants, toast, and first to come also got a slice of meat. The mattresses are a strange semi solid foam which gives underneath you forming a large hammock shaped dip, meant I woke up every time I went to move because I had to climb out first to resettle. However, my husband found it quite comfortable! At bottom, we paid for the location, and that was excellent. Just round the corner from the main train station, and from the TGV, the main bus terminal, and all of Bern Old Town, and it was half to a third the cost of anything else close.

Room Tip: Take a sleep mask with you, the curtains don't bock the outside light
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank annieje

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Antwerpen
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The location, Breakfast, cleanliness, helping staffs are the highlights. The hotel is only a 5 mins walk from Train Station, or just a min by Tram. The rooms were clean and the staffs were helpful. Provided extra pillows and an adapter on request! Breakfast was okay.

The elevator, very small room!! The elevator was quite old, and didn't work as expected. The room is a bit expensive for its size. The pillows provided were not comfy.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Zurich
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The good news first: the hotel is very close to the train station, close to the old town, and its reasonably clean.
The not-so-good news: the furnishings are more hostel style and quite used, and even though most rooms have nice wooden floors, they put some nasty carpets in front of the bed which look as if they were 100 years old.
My bathroom was tiny, you can barely turn around in it and it looked as if it had been done in the 1980s and left like that. The sink was so narrow I could not brush my teeth without dripping toothpaste on the floor and it's impossible to wash your face.

And then there's the noise. Even if your room is facing a side street, you will have the trams going until 1am, and starting to roll again at 5.30am. They seem to go around a curve there and screech horribly. Forget about sleep if you don't have earplugs, and even if you do, it might wake you up.

The breakfast is nothing special either. So for what you pay, you simply do not get enough here. There are many reasonably priced hotels in Bern without the noisy, and with much better rooms.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Clio16

Travelers are raving about these Bern hotels

Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed December 2, 2012

..but not for more than one.
I stayed here during Election Time, so all Politicians were at Berne too - not a single Hotel-Room seemed to be vacant! So i had to take what i could get and stayed here. Its not so bad, having a really old Elevator (thats cool!) and steep stairs. My Room was up on the Top, i had my very own Bathroom (not everybody gets one in this Hotel). It's close to the Center and the Service is friendly and helpful (had some Difficulties with my Credit Card, but not a Problem at all).

Room Tip: Look for a Room with Bathroom!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I went to Switzerland 12-22 October 2012 with my husband and 2 friends,a man and a woman whose booking were both single occupy for them.This is my first time
that I must arrange everything for my group by myself.Before this I used to go by agency or by my friends.So this review is just for the beginning travellers.I won't write about how wonderful Switzerland are,because you can read it in Switzerland
tripwatch or other articles.And no words can explain this,you must get it by yourself.Every moment in Switzerland is happiness,like my husband and my friends said;if the paradise is real,it must looks like Switzerland.My aim of this trip is just let the train take me out of my work and sceening for the long stay place of next trip.So I purchased the Swiss pass(2 saver class) from my country and booked the hotels-cheap and near the train station(8 hotels for 10 nights).
-Day1;After passing the immigration at Zurich airport,we went to valid the Swiss pass at the SBB service(inside the room, the line was shorter) then we went to the
baggage room(the small room near the ticket counter,I made a mistke by waiting too much in the wrong long line).I send one of my big baggages to the next 2 days destination(2-6 days,the fee is CHF12-weight not more than 25 kgs.-check the open hour of the destination office before).I appreciate the lady officer,she advised and checked the time for me.We took the train to Bern choosing no change train at Zurich.The train was crowded but most people took off at Zurich.When we arrived at Bern,we hurried to see the Zytglogge(clock) before noon so we left our baggages in the lockers at Bern train station(small-CHF6,medium-CHF7 and large-CHF9 per 24 hours).We walked around the city,bought food for picnic lunch from Migros and Coop,passed The Bear Garden and drank coffee with panorama view at The Rose Garden.When we took on tram to go down to the central city,I lost with my group.After we met,we decided to buy simcard just in case we loss again.So we went to Swisscom,it was so easy.First,got the queue ticket,after I told my aim,the seller told me to choose easy package,CHF20(tel. and internet).After 10 days I still have money left in the simcard.We stayed at Hotel National Bern,
about 500 meters from train station.It's old building,nice staff,clean and comfortable.I like the old style elevator.
-Day2;We went to Interlaken and planned to leave the baggages at the hotel.I appreciated the hotel,let us early check-in.Good location,near Interlaken west train
station,cheap price include breakfast,small-clean room but the painted wall in one room is ugly.Friendly staff but a little bit tricky.I booked 1 twin bedroom for me and my husband,2 private bathroom - single occupy for my friends but one was shared
bathroom.They said that the bathroom is near,just opposite so itlooks like private
bathroom.The Swisslodge Falken hotel accept the payment by credit card but has
extra charge.There are towels,some review complained no.
-To be continued......

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kornkaew S
Montreal
Reviewed October 18, 2012

A decent small hotel that has a quirky lift and a restaurant with average food. It's Switzerland and expensive so don't expect anything fantastic. The room was small and plain but clean, a toilet and shower down the hall. Throughout the hotel there are old-fashioned things like a switchboard, that add some ambiance. The staff was helpful. Breakfast was included so that took some of the sting out of the prices in this country.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. My window opened to a courtyard/air shaft kind of space so it was quieter tha...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank bellesque
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The hotel is just one stop away by tram from the main train station. If you walk it takes about 10 minutes. Entering the hotel there is a restaurant on the ground floor where the breakfast is served. I like the theme of the hotel which is old-time look. There were antique typewriter and antique telephone. The elevator is also beautiful which situated at the middle of stairway but quite small if you have few luggage with you. It just fits maximum of four persons. The room of two persons with bathroom is nice and has two big windows. They provide free lockers for your luggage if you plan to take a hike after you have checked out. Free wifi is also available from the room. You have to ask for username and password from the reception.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple