“Cold showers ruined impression”
Review of Bern Youth Hostel

Bern Youth Hostel
Ranked #5 of 9 Specialty Lodging in Bern
Reviewed December 28, 2013

The hostel was relatively well-located, easy to navigate from the central train station (hauptbahnof). Room was rather cramped (5 in the family in a room) but still acceptable, but the cold shower was just bad. Apart from having to keep pushing a button to keep the water flowing, the water was barely warm and turned freezing cold very quickly, which is not what you want especially in winter. We were also staying next to a family with babies, so there was some disturbance but nothing much you can do about that.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed October 21, 2013

This hostel was pretty good but it was the most expensive hostel I stayed at in 2 weeks in Switzerland. The breakfast was good and they have nice expresso and tea! The room I stayed in had 3 bunk beds and the bathroom was down the hall. The blow dryer was great but it was so annoying to have to push the shower water button about every 10 seconds. They should really change that system.
Two strange things happened - one was that a girl arrived to the room with all of her bags around 7 in the morning and talked when she came in the room, waking the five other girls up. They shouldn't let people check into a room at 7 in the morning. Second was that one girl was climbing into her upper bunk right at the door, naked, when I came back to the hostel around 9 one night.
There were many families with young children at this hostel. They have a large common area which was great and the wifi worked well.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 31, 2013

The hostel was in a great location right by the river Aare, it was clean and the breakfast had a great choice of different types of food. But the reception staff were not very helpful, when a fellow traveller asked where he could eat he was told to walk back into town. He wasn't told about the restaurant that was two minutes walk away that I had eaten at and which was very nice. They didn't give us a map or suggest any sights to see.
The showers had no where to put your clothes so I had to put them on the floor and they only had a shower curtain.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Good location close to the main area. Buffet breakfast was included and there was a good selection. Lockers in the room and baggage storage available if you need it. Free wifi.
There was no kitchen, just a microwave and kettle and a large sitting area. The showers were really annoying as they operated by pushing a button that kept turning off every few seconds, making the water go cold again every time you turn it back on! There is also nowhere to put your stuff while you have a shower unless you just leave it in the main changing and sink area. Very expensive for a shared dorm and what you get but that just seems to be what Switzerland is like. There were also a lot of very young people there screaming and shouting constantly, even late at night.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Strawberry3131
Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay at the Bern Youth Hostel. While it certainly was a no-frills visit, it had everything we needed. It was close to the center/tourist sites, the staff was friendly and helpful, there was a good WiFi connection in the common areas, it was not too expensive, and it was reasonably clean. My friend and I had our own room and felt very safe. An added perk was that there is a small cafeteria bar where you can grab dinner or free breakfast if you are too tired from your day to venture back out into the city.
I would definitely recommend this to any traveller who is looking for a low-cost place to stay for a few nights.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Alice3403
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I stayed there a long time ago, July '09 to be correct, and it was a simple night stop on a trip through Bern. The hostel was fine and had everything you needed in a hostel. I can't remember the price but I think it was decent. I stayed with a group of friends and there were some others from a larger group travelling with us. The showers etc were fine but I remember right it took a while for the water to heat up.

They had breakfast which set us up for the day and they had a bar which we got stuck into on our arrival. I can't comment on if it's the best or the worse hostel in Bern but it done the job. The beds are a place to rest your head. Although be aware that when I was there you needed to bring you key to the toilet if you got up during the night or you had a red trip to the reception. The one thing I would say is that it was extremely hard to find but at that time none of us could use the internet abroad because of roaming charges and when we called the directions were given in broken English. We drove around for so long that we had to eventually get a taxi to take us, even they had to call for directions.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Me and my boyfriend stayed at the youthhostel for almost 10 days in Sept2012.It is too expensive for just offering a bed and a very poor breakfast.Some of the people working there were very polite but at the beginning of the 2nd week we decided to book 4 days more they said ok and the next morning when i had to go back to the room after having breakfast with no previous notice they had invalided my keycard and infront of many people at the reception they told me that they did that because we didnot pay!!But we we had already paid them for all the previous nights more than 600 CHF and my boyfriend was at that time at work.As if we were to steal them!the double room with a shared toilet was ok and clean enough.the dormitories are not good at all.they cleaned the hostel only once per week!the same people working at the kitchen or the reception only did something during the week for example put some toilet paper!the windows at the 20 bed dormitory couldnot be open because of the furniture that were in front!it was really smelly!!!!!!and expensive for such a dirty place!!!

Room Tip: the double room with shared or private toilet is a better choice.no wi fi in all the rooms.