“Nice hostel but hard to find”
Review of Bern Youth Hostel

Bern Youth Hostel
Ranked #4 of 10 Specialty Lodging in Bern
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I stayed there a long time ago, July '09 to be correct, and it was a simple night stop on a trip through Bern. The hostel was fine and had everything you needed in a hostel. I can't remember the price but I think it was decent. I stayed with a group of friends and there were some others from a larger group travelling with us. The showers etc were fine but I remember right it took a while for the water to heat up.

They had breakfast which set us up for the day and they had a bar which we got stuck into on our arrival. I can't comment on if it's the best or the worse hostel in Bern but it done the job. The beds are a place to rest your head. Although be aware that when I was there you needed to bring you key to the toilet if you got up during the night or you had a red trip to the reception. The one thing I would say is that it was extremely hard to find but at that time none of us could use the internet abroad because of roaming charges and when we called the directions were given in broken English. We drove around for so long that we had to eventually get a taxi to take us, even they had to call for directions.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Me and my boyfriend stayed at the youthhostel for almost 10 days in Sept2012.It is too expensive for just offering a bed and a very poor breakfast.Some of the people working there were very polite but at the beginning of the 2nd week we decided to book 4 days more they said ok and the next morning when i had to go back to the room after having breakfast with no previous notice they had invalided my keycard and infront of many people at the reception they told me that they did that because we didnot pay!!But we we had already paid them for all the previous nights more than 600 CHF and my boyfriend was at that time at work.As if we were to steal them!the double room with a shared toilet was ok and clean enough.the dormitories are not good at all.they cleaned the hostel only once per week!the same people working at the kitchen or the reception only did something during the week for example put some toilet paper!the windows at the 20 bed dormitory couldnot be open because of the furniture that were in front!it was really smelly!!!!!!and expensive for such a dirty place!!!

Room Tip: the double room with shared or private toilet is a better choice.no wi fi in all the rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I liked the position near the main station and few steps from the river, very friendly staff.

I didnt like: needed to pay 4CHF per night because I was not a member of Youth
hostel association (this was not mentioned on hostelworld site), strange system for
accessing wifi (1st - add hostel number for the day, 2nd step - you have to authentificate
through your mobile)...wifi working only in common room.

Bathroom is clean however not enough place (showers) for so many people.

The walls are thin like paper, due to snoring not possible to sleep - Thank God - just the last night.

Overall overpriced for what you are getting...for Switzerland in a certain sense cheap.

I am not sure if I would stay here again...

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank rbbrno
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I stayed here for a few nights and found it to be okay. The rooms were clean and the breakfasts were good. Close to train station. The internet service (wifi) is spotty.

Not great, not at all bad...just average. It lacked a certain atmosphere, that's all.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank TanyaM212
Reviewed March 29, 2012

It is youth hostel, so don't expect the luxury. The dorms are clean. Breackfast is nice, even for Vegeterian peoples. There is the 3 Dosha hotel, which is Indian pure veg restaurant, I have not visited it. There is one more restaurant, Tibits. This is mostly Veg hotel, with some exception with use of Egg. The items with Egg are clearly noted. Suitable hotel for Vegeterian peoples, and it is on the station and close to youth hostel.
youth hostel is close to station, it require to travel vertical drop of about 50 feet to reach hostel. This drop can be traveled using small shuttle, which is free for swiss pass holder (Travel tim 2 min).
Hostel is safe for the family, and reception staff is cool. Left luggage arrangement is also good.

Room Tip: The female partner, if staying with you in dorm - then she need to use the toilet on another floor...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Mahesh V
Reviewed November 23, 2011

I stayed only one night in Bern and was lucky that in our four bed dorm there were only two of us.
The room wasn't fancy but clean and I guess it was big enough for four people - maybe not if you're traveling with a lot of luggage. There were a lot of lockers outside the room.

The showers are real communal showers (but male and female separate ;-) ) with no closed shower stalls just curtains.
But there is an installed hairdryer like you sometimes see at public swimming pools - that was a great plus.

What I didn't like so much was the fact that you had to register with your mobile number if you wanted to use the WiFi - or call a number to receive your personal code. And that was additional to a daily WiFi code - that is just too much if you just want to quickly check your e-mails! If you wanted to use their guest computers you had to pay for it. Sorry, but I think that is just not up to date.

Really up to date in contrast was the huge breakfast which is already included. They also serve lunch and dinner but there is no guest kitchen.

At this time of year it was very quiet and I saw maybe five guests altogether - but I suppose it's a lot more crowded in summer.

The location is really nice: close to the city centre but also quiet and close to the Aare river. Just walking back up to the train station with my suitcase wasn't fun - but I could have taken the cable car - I know.... ;-)

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Spent four nights in the hostel in late September while using Bern as a base to see other parts of Switzerland. Very convenient to the train station although at the bottom of a steep hill. Bonus is that it is just across the road from the Aare river.
As expected, very basic accomodation but much more affordable than pensions or hotels. The provided breakfasts and available if booked ahead dinners were home style and filling and much more affordable than local restaurants. Staff were very helpful, the hostel was clean and small laundromat handy. The only downside to the hostel is that it isn't designed to muffle noise. In spite of having a private room for two in a wing with private rooms for two to four people we were kept up three out of four nights by other hostelers who didn't appreciate the "quiet time" rules. While other guests weren't obnoxious they just didn't understand how to be considerate and keep their noise down when coming in late. The front desk shuts down in the night so it was basically self policing. The communal showers and bathrooms were kept clean but were limited in number. No issues if you were an early riser but otherwise some waiting was involved. Overall rating average as you get (for Switzerland) what you pay for.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple