“Superb, discreet, newly renovated”
Review of Hotel Schweizerhof

Hotel Schweizerhof
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Bern
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Superb, discreet, newly renovated”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Three nights here. Beautiful junior suite on the top floor of this hotel. Super location near the train station. Lovely bathroom. Perfect soundproofing. In short: managed as the Swiss would- flawless, elegant. Little to suggest for improvement.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Fantastic location for the train station and sightseeing in Bern.
Very modern, fresh and stylish hotel -the lobby looks great, the corridors and stairways are grand, everything looks expensive and tasteful! The staff were impeccably turned-out and extremely helpful and polite. Our room was fantastic - it was quiet and comfortable, with all sorts of modern gadgets which we didn't really get to grips with - buttons to put the window shutters up and down, a bewildering array of switches for different permutations of lights... wow! It also had a Nespresso coffee machine which we made good use of. Mini Bar drinks were free which was very welcome including beer (but not spirits)
The bathroom was amazing - fantastic large 'rainforest' style of shower which I loved, a large bath, heated mirror...and the Bulgari toiletries were heavily used!
There is a lovely air-conditioned quiet 'business centre' room for internet access, and a printer which is useful for printing out plane tickets etc.
On the roof there is a Terrace Bar with lovely views and great cocktails.
We were close to the train station, but our room was quiet and we slept well.
I think there is a fitness centre which guests can use, but we didn't.
I loved staying here!

Portland, Maine
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We had a wonderful weekend here. The staff is superlative -- personable and perfectly trained -- every single staff member we met went out of their way for us. The hotel is just the right size -- about 100 rooms -- so the facilities are good but with the intimacy of a small establishment. The lobby restaurant and bar and the spa are exceptionally nice. Our room was just perfect, with a great bed, top of the line fixtures and appliances, free wifi, even an espresso maker. We enjoyed the decor throughout the hotel and it is immaculately clean. It's also perfectly located in the historic center. They even brought bottled water to our car at the curb when we were leaving.

Room Tip: We had the deluxe double which we later found out they call the "business package". Maybe...
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Coming from Geneva to Bern where I had a course on Saturday I booked a room for one night at the Schweizerhof Hotel. Firstly, it was easy to find the hotel as it is situated nearby the main station and the building is quite impressive. I had to call them because I couldn't find their car park, the receptionist told me to leave my car in front of the main entrance where a doorman will pick it up and park the car. Afterwards, I went inside in order to do the check in and leave the key (you will get a parking card with a number, ring them 15 mnt before you need your car in order to have it ready outside). After the check in, the receptionist showed me the place on the ground floor (bar, breakfast, etc.) then the room and gave me all information I need. The room was smart, modern, spacious and clean. Moreover, the water, sodas and fruit juice from the minibar were free! Plus, there were already 3 bottles of water available near the bed and the sofa with a fruit plate. You know it's the kind attention I appreciate especially when you arrived late in the evening, tired and thirsty. I also liked the fact that there were enough care products (2 of each branded BVLGARI : shampoo, shower gel, conditioner, body lotion) as well as towels because often I have to ask additional shower gel and/or towels.Through the design and furniture you can see the quality whereas often design stuff doesn’t work properly these ones were perfect! The top of that is the bed and especially the darkness (with blind), I also asked for a quiet room I got it (I was afraid at the beginning because of the main station finally I didn’t hear anything). The hotel has blind with rooms, proper ones not only curtains that made me had a very good sleep until 10.15 am instead of 6-8 am because of the light and noise usual. Last time I had a good sleep like this, it was at the Peninsula Hotel in Honk Kong. The following day when I left, the check out was fast, my car ready (I called them 5 mnts before) and received a fresh bottle of water as well as an almond teddy bear ("The Mandelbärli" a kind of Bernese specialty) which was tasty …

I will definitely come back to the Schweizerhof Hotel … even though there were some noise in the bathroom due to the air conditioning (which can't be stopped!) and also piping (maybe the noise can be reduced or it depend on the hours) but once the bathroom door is closed you don’t hear it anymore.

The only thing I will complain about it's the price of the car park which will cost you CHF 40.- per night. From my point of view, it's expensive as I paid less in other hotels (also 5* in Bern) for 24h. Of course, if you compare to Geneva prices are similar or even more expensive. As regards the breakfast, it isn’t included you have to pay an extra for it (I think it's CHF 30.-) I didn't take any breakfast, though.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Sousou Z
Pozarevac, Serbia
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Absolutely great hotel with a fantastic location in the center of Bern. My husband and I spent 3 days enjoying the newly renovated hotel, modern and luxurious rooms and very friendly staff. A special greeting to the staff in the kitchen. We all highly recommend this hotel, especially for couples.

Amsterdam
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We staid here as a family in 2 rooms. Wonderfull rooms, very modern and comfortable and clean. Beautifully designed. Good insulation (the station is very near and you hear no sound at all) and air conditioning. Only, we couldn't switch the air conditioning off and that with the very modern atmosphere made things a bit chilly.
Not chilly at all was the "pamper pool"; really a disappointment for our children and ourselves. The pool is very very hot - like in a bath tub, impossible to swim in. Also it is really dark and gloomy in the pool area and although there is very much space, the pool itself is very small. Really a strange choice to have made it like this! After a quick dip in the pool we felt claustrophobic and sweaty and went back to our rooms to cool down.
Also we missed a breakfast buffet; ordering breakfast is quite complicated and not as satisfying as choosing it from a buffet.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bynz
belfast
Reviewed August 16, 2012

we stayed at the schweizerhof for three nights. bern is a beautiful city and this hotel is ideally placed to see all the sights. we arrived by car which was efficiently valeted away (space at front of hotel limited. check in area smart and staff very friendly and helpful! we were escorted to our room which was very modern, large comfy bed. huge shower and bath in the bathroom. very much enjoyed our stay here, will definitely be back!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple