“Classic hotel”

BELLEVUE PALACE Bern
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Bern
Reviewed May 23, 2010

One expensive hotel - but its style and service are second to none. A "grand" hotel, with some great views too.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank keitharrowsmith

Reviewed May 15, 2010

My husband came to Switzerland on business and I joined him as it is our 8th anniversary on the 17th. We've been in Switzerland before, in Lausanne where we stayed at the Beau Rivage Palace (another excellent hotel) and we love it.

We didn't stay at the Beau Rivage this time because we were flying in and out of Zurich and Bern was a more central area to the places my husband needed to be and the sights we wanted to see.

This hotel is one of the best hotels that either me or my husband has ever stayed in - which is saying a lot since we both travel extensively. It's convenient to the sights we wanted to see in Bern, the room is very nice - it's a bit hot at night but it's nice, and the food is good.

But what makes this hotel so fantastic that I had to write about it, is the staff. We've stayed in hotels with nicer rooms and better food but neither one of us has stayed in a hotel with better staff.

The morning Maitre d' Mr. Waibel always remembered us after the first morning, was very pleasant and attentive, as were all of his staff. They didn't hover - which can be annoying - but they had the right blend of taking care of everything without overstaying at your table. And everyone at breakfast just seemed so happy. Which I absolutely loved. Especially Mr Waibel - he seemed happy to see us in the mornings and happy with his job. What a pleasure to have such an atmosphere to start your day.

Dinner was another wonderful experience - the food was good but the service again was outstanding. Our Maitre d' Mr Mottolini was attentive, knowledgeable and very pleasant. As was our waitress - whom I'm sorry to say I did not get her name. They were very efficient, but not brusque. I felt welcomed and they too recognized me and my husband after the first night. Our experience was so good that we only ate away from the hotel one night of the four we were there. We usually only eat in the hotel once then go out in town the rest of our visits.

The bar was another pleasant surprise - again the staff in the bar after our first visit remembered us. The next night when we stopped in the bar tender even remember what we drank and how we drank it. And one of the tenders even stopped us in the lobby the next day to ask how our visit was going.

I cannot tell you how nice it was to be surrounded by staff that not only knew what they were doing, but seem to genuinely enjoy what they were doing and interacting with the staff.

The staff at the Bellevue really made our trip special - we knew we would enjoy the hotel - Leading hotels of the world are always nice - but none of the other ones we've stayed at has had the level of service with a smile that we've had here.

My husband will be coming back to Switzerland more frequently due to work and I can say, without a doubt he will be staying here when he is in this region and I will make it a point to come with him when I can.

Unfortunately Mr Buhrer the hotel manager was not available so I could not speak to him directly, but I will be leaving him a note regarding his staff and what a wonderful time we had here.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank JudithRenee
Reviewed May 2, 2010

This is a five-star hotel, and appropriately pricey. But we booked in advance and were able to save about $100 off the room price, not that that in any way made this a bargain. Still, if you want to see Bern, the Bellevue Palace is in a perfect location. And Bern is charming, well worth a detour (we were driving to Lake Annecy).
We had a standard room, which still was very large. And because we were obviously charming, cultivated people (nah, just kidding) we were given a room that looked out on the river and surrounding moutains, unusual when booking this level room, we were informed. Definitely ask if one on the river side is available.
It was a beautiful day, and we decided to have lunch on the terrace. Big, very expensive mistake. Our lunch, with a tip, cost $125, way too much to compensate for the wonderful view. And the portions were meager (no wonder rich people are skinny!). A room-service breakfast the next morning was equally outrageous.
We still would recommend the hotel unequivocably. Just being in those surroundings (the lobby is ornate, with a gorgeous stained glass ceiling) allows you to feel like one of the pampered class -- if only for one day.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Exscribe
Reviewed May 2, 2010

I've stayed in Bern more than 20 nights last year and had the opportunity to stay at Bellevue Palace for 3 nights recently. It's a lovely hotel, very elegent and in a great location. The public spaces are beautiful and the food is excellent however the rooms are comfortable but quite small and relatively 'basic' given the rates. It's a bit 'stuffy' and overall just nothing that special. I look at rates here frequently vs other options in central Bern and when I stayed it was on 'good' rate for this hotel (~$250/night U.S.) - it is usually $400 U.S. + for a 'basic' room. Bottom line, it is the only real '5 star' in Bern but compared to most 5 stars, this hotel is a bit over the top on what they charge for what it really is. I would not recommend it as Allegro or Hotel Bern (clearly not 5 star and still relatively expensive) but are much better options in central Bern.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 13, 2010

The Swiss may be famous for their diplomatic hospitality but it usually does not come with any smile. Bellevue is no exception. Don’t get me wrong : the staff IS helpful, efficient and eager to please… just not smiling.
Why I care to mention that is that it gives an indication of the whole hotel quality and policy: discretion, high standards and no surprise.
The rooms are large, comfortable and immaculate. Colors are discretely (well…. a little boringly) neutral but everything is superb quality, if not glossy : matresses, linen, electrical appliances, bathroom equipments. Cooking is superb. And so is breakfast.
We dare say we are usually quiet travellers and do not have any diva requests. However we did ask something from room service that was not mentionned in the menu and it was provided without any hesitation and within half an hour.
Bellevue is quite central (a 10-15 mn walk from the center, shopping district, some attractions and theater) and the Rôtisserie and lobby are attended by the locals as well.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2010

I loved staying here! The view was really nice, and the hospitality was amazing. I think this is the best hotel in Bern!
I would definitely recomend this hotel for business and leisure!

Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 1, 2009

Let's just start off by saying that if you don't stay in a room with river view, you are crazy. From the room I stayed in (room 219) you could sit on the terrace and see the Alps to the South--nice! The room was very clean and had a very spacious bathroom (unique for Europe).

The only reason I didn't give the hotel an excellent rating was due to the bell staff. The bell staff were not very professional (odd for a hotel of this caliber in Europe) and they even almost put my bags in someone another person's car!!

Also, no A/C or ironing boards.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family