Bern is the capitol of one of the world's most richest countries so it comes a bit as a surprise that the town only hosts a single really world class hotel. But world class the Bellevue Palace is. The building, lobby, rooms, hotel bar, restaurant and staff seem to stem from the days when customer service was the norm and not the exception in Europe.
As a returning guest, all I had to do was state my name at reception and was handed my key card. I didn't have to fill out any forms, show a passport or hand over a credit card. While I love Asian hotels and marvel about their generally excellent service, a really great Swiss hotel like the Bellevue just shows a certain class that you rarely find in the rest of the world.
I had booked a deluxe room directly on the hotel website and it was definitely more spacious than their standard room. The only slight disappointment was the lacking view. Apparently only junior suites and above profit from the amazing views which are visible from the front side of the hotel only.
The rooms interiour was very classic and pleasant and with its seperate sitting area could have easily passed as a junior suite. Everything you'd expect was offered, safe, mini bar, air con, robes, slippers etc. .
Many 5 star hotels have a bath and a shower. I personally always use the shower and have no need for a bathtub but if you do, you might want to ask for a room which is equipped with one. My shower was really fantastic, with a total of 6 shower heads, I showered 3 times during the 19 hours I occupied the room!
Breakfast is included in the rate, it's served in a lovely room. The buffet selection is of very good quality and there's enough choice. Additonally you can order lovely egg dishes made a la carte which aren't charged for separately.
When staying here, do have a drink at the hotel's lovely and historic bar, this is the real thing and over 100 years old! And when you come back after a lovely evening in town, you'll find your bed turned back and the entire room cleaned again, with all used towels replaced and trash cans emptied.
You'll find some of Switzerland's best chocolatiers in Bern, I highly recommend checking out the shops of Beeler, Eichenberger and Tschirren. Bern's best restaurant is called Zum Zähringer, an extremely unpretenious and cozy restaurant down by the river where 15 Gault Millau point cuisine is served in a very relaxed atmosphere. If you want to try some very authentich Swiss food in a very authentic setting try the Restaurant Della Casa.
If you need a room in Bern and want to stay in a luxury hotel, the Bellevue Palace is your only choice but a truly great one.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel of the Swiss government with a history extending back 150 years - The BELLEVUE PALACE is the only grand hotel in the heart of the capital. The magnificent salons, the grandiose vista of the Bernese Alps and the warm hospitality make this luxury hotel so unique. It has always been a meeting place for politicians and diplomats, it featured in John le Carre's spy novels, and it is also a casual meeting place for the whole of Berne. La BELLE VIE au BELLEVUE PALACE. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Agoda, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your BELLEVUE PALACE Bern reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bellevue Palace Bern Hotel Bern
- Bellevue Palace Hotel Bern
- Bern Bellevue Palace Hotel