“Nice hotel, good breakfast, but be prepared for walk and heat” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Ibis Styles Bern City
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Bern
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Alamos, New Mexico
“Nice hotel, good breakfast, but be prepared for walk and heat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

The hotel is very nice: the rooms are very clean although not very big. Staff is friendly and helpful. Breakfast is typical for this hotel size in Europe, so that you will be able to stuff yourself for the whole morning. I definitely recommend this hotel, but with a few points to be aware of: no air conditioning, and if the weather is hot, you will have to leave the window open, with consequent noise from outside. It is relatively close to the city center (10/15 minutes walk from the train station or the downtown shopping area). Be also aware that if you arrive on a Sunday or a holiday, you will not find much to eat in the surrounding area. Anyway, good place to stay at a reasonable price (for Switzerland...). WIFI is very fast and free.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Spike C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

Swiss prices are known for being on the higher side of things, but for CHF140/night it was an excellent place to stay. I was suitable impressed with checking in and out - it took all of 2 minutes for both, and before the ink was dry on the registration form, I was already in the lift.

The single room was a tad narrow, but it was clean, comfortable and relatively quiet. At times, I could hear the occupants of the neighbouring room but more muffled noises than anything obvious. The room was furnished with a large single bed, widescreen TV, closets, full length mirrors, desk and safe. The bathroom was clean and hot water was ever present. The sink was perhaps a bit too small though.

Breakfast was simple but you could have more than enough of the fresh breads, cheese, hams, eggs, fruit (tinned), and cereals. Plenty of coffee to boot. There was a busy adjacent hotel restaurant, but I did not try this.

On the downside, was the speed of the WI-FI on the upper floors. It was quicker on the lower floors.

It was only a 20 minute walk to reach the old town and 15 minute walk to the main train station. Buses and trams are just metres from the entrance too.

A great place to stay - most notably for its fast, friendly and efficient service.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor were very quiet but better to keep away from the elevator though as you may h...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank aikiko
Dubendorf, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

I spent 1 night in this hotel on a business trip. Compared to other hotels in bern you get decent value for money. The room was spacious and clean, but had no aircondition. I opened the window during the night. Thus I heard some noise from the streets, but it wasn't disturbing.

I arrived late in the evening, but that was not a problem (I asked for late check in in advance). The guy doing the night shift and checking me in was a bit weird and his German wasn't very good. But not a big problem.

Breakfast in the morning was good. Selection of breads, meat, cheese and spreads. Also some cereals, musli and good coffee. No fresh fruit though, only canned stuff.

Would stay there again next time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank patm82
Poquoson, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights in October/November 2012 while on business travel. I found it to be comfortable, clean and reasonably quiet. The staff had a tendency to leave windows open (despite the cool weather) and I was disturbed one night by street noise until I realized the window was open and closed it. With the windows closed, it was fine. The shower was small with plenty of hot water. It was difficult to adjust from power wash mode but it was OK. Breakfast was typical European fair. Decent but not exceptional. There did not appear to be too many places to eat near by though there is a grocery store a few blocks away. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Check your windows...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Larry T
Lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

I was recommended and booked into this hotel by the Tourist Information Office in the city centre, so had no knowledge of it before arriving. However, it was good, a comfortable room well furnished and provisioned. A good breakfast, and free parking by the side of the hotel which solved the problem of where to leave the car for the night.

A 10 to 15 minute walk to the city centre from the hotel, but there is a good bar two minutes from the hotel on the way into town.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Brussels
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

Just come back from a two-night business trip to Bern where I stayed in the Astoria, booked by my corporate travel office for 195 CHF per night. Not cheap. The hotel is in itself fine, though it is quite dated. My room was big with very basic furniture but ok for a business trip. No aircon in the hotel (outside temperatures were about 30°C!), no fans available from reception. The breakfast was extremely spartan - a single plate of cheese and one of cold meats for all the guests, not a single piece of fresh fruit - it was all from tins or jars, good coffee, poor seating, especially outside, and only one staff member appeared to be clearing tables and replenishing the food, so service was extremely slow. If that had been my entire experience at this hotel, I would have given an average rating. However...

My room was #103, which I recommend guests should avoid at all possible costs. This room is located directly above the restaurant kitchen and so I could hear all the noise from the kitchen, especially late in the evening when cleaning was taking place. The noise continued after 10 pm (usual hour of rest according to Swiss custom), so I got dressed again and went down to ask for quiet. At receiption I was told the restaurant wasn't part of the hotel so they couldn't help; in the restaurant I was told quite rudely to get lost - it's a restaurant and they make a noise! I did not want to move rooms at that time of night and was working all day the following day so didn't have time to move then either, though this was offered by the hotel.

Next morning I spoke to the manager. He knew I was unhappy but didn't seem particularly sympathetic. He told me to tell him what I wanted from him to remedy the situation. I suggested that he could remove the breakfast charge from my bill as a gesture and he agreed.

On the final morning, at check-out, the manager personally told me he would no longer honour his commitment. He told me I should have accepted to move rooms so he would now be charging me for breakfast. Of course I objected, but he then went into a tyrade and started accusing me of never wanting to pay the full room price and claimed I told the restaurant staff I didn't intend to pay my bill in full at any time. He became very irritated and threatened to call the police, which I asked him to do. But then he refused to call them and told me to do it instead! He refused to give me his business card at first, because he only gave it to "people [he] liked and he didn't like me"!! We ended up having a very long, angry conversation with raised voices in the presence of other guests, which was very embarrassing. He told me to go away. That, together with him calling me a liar, was enough.

I would like to make it clear that, as I was travelling on business, my employer paid for my room and any reduction would have been in my employer's favour, not mine. Any suggestion that I would not want to pay for the room is ridiculous.

Even though the hotel itself was ok to stay in for business, I will never return there because of the way the MANAGER of the hotel treated me. I doubt if anyone is less suitable to manage a hotel and have contact with the general public and paying guests, it is him.

Room Tip: If you decide to go here, avoid room 103 at all costs.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank BrutalTadpole
hyderabad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

Astoria hotel in Bern is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed, Every thing is very good there, right from check in to check out, everything is just right. though the room is very small compared to many asian hotels, you will never feel that. Early morning buffet breakfast is very good. Fresh baked bread, fresh fruits and everything is fresh. I will surely recommend this hotel to fellow travelers.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business