“Nice. Typical Holiday Inn Experience”

Holiday Inn Bern-Westside
Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in Bern
Wisconsin
“Nice. Typical Holiday Inn Experience”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I travel in the US and Asia quite a bit. I usually stay in IHG properties. Last year, I spent about 130 nights in them.

I spent a week in Switzerland. I stayed at other hotels for much of the trip. But I decided to stay here one night while visiting Bern. Frankly, it was nice to get back to what I am used to. Breakfast nice and included. At other hotels, they tried to charge me 24 chf per person per day for breakfast. Swiss breakfasts are nice but not worth $50/day for my wife and I.

The hotel itself was clean and comfortable. The staff was pleasant and recognize my IHG status. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Tim R
Martin M, Manager at Holiday Inn Bern-Westside, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear Tim R

thank you so much for your honest feedback and your nice comments.
We are very grateful that you took the time to share your experience with us.

Furthermore we are really happy to see that you and your wife have enjoyed your stay with us and that
you were pleased with the hotel facilities, as well as with the staff.

We do highly appreciate your loyalty towards IHG and we are glad to see that you seem to be repetitively
happy with our concepts and our service standards.
It means a lot to us to receive such acknowledgement from you as a frequent Traveller and it is our goal to
deliver continuous high service standards and therefore also make your stay in the future.

We would be delighted to welcome you and your wife back here at the Holiday Inn Bern Westside soon.

Kind Regards from snowy Bern

Martin Mager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Arabic first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Pros: Good garage, good location for drivers, sunny rooms better than some older ones in city center: no allergens detected in the room. Staff swiss quality. Good price.

Cons: weak cafeteria and breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Appenzell, Switzerland
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

After checking-in, I had to leave the hotel...
For the first time, I used my points to book a room. I am not sure, if it does affect the service-level offered by this hotel, but it may be good to have mentioned it.
As I wanted to check-in, there was no status-recognition, but even worse, they checked me in as another person (with a similar name). Not making sure whether I am this person or not, they welcomed me and promissed an upgrade. As I pointed out that I was another person, they didn't even apologize and still tried to maintain the "pokerface", i.e. thinking that I would not notice...
The "upgrade" conisted of a room that is standard but has no window (better: it has a window but also a wall going through the window). The room had an open shower system (which immediatly puts the bath, and in this case, the room) under water and the rooms as such is small. There is an a/c but its very noisy, even if you switch off, you will still have some 45db noise.
I called front desk and told them that this is not acceptable. After trying to make case for being sold out, front desk "discovered" an empty room.
This one had a window and a shower curtain, however, also the same problem with the noisy switched-off a/c.
I was feeling very badly treated by the staff who already lied to me twice, so I left the hotel.
The manager came after me and apologized. As I spoke with him, it became apparent that his own staff lied to him about what happened. He convinced me to stay and I did so reluctantly. The room was noisy and not very clean.
To be truth, the manager offered my stay for free and a drink on the house, but I did not accept any.
Because of this incodent, I am giving my loyalty card back and am not sleeping at an IHG hotel anymore.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank philosion
Martin M, Manager at Holiday Inn Bern-Westside, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear philosion

Thank you for your feedback.
Constructive criticism like yours helps us identify opportunities and make adjustments.
Further to my follow up while you were still the in-house, I understand the issue was rectified and you received a good stay with us.

Please note that we do not guarantee a specific room at the time of reservation.
As mentioned in the other response in relation to this stay, we did offer a complimentary upgrade to a High floor room with mountain views.
We understand that design and expectations can be very personal to each individual’s taste.
Mr. philos, our interior designer Daniel Liebeskind was inspired by the Westside architecture while creating our bathrooms as well as the window design as it’s all being a part of the new Westside-Bruennen district in Bern.

If you have any special needs, such as a room without any kind of noise, we are happy to provide you with ear plugs, which we did, also it is best to tell us in advance so that we can let you know upfront if we are unable meet your request.
Our reputation and your complete satisfaction are our top priorities and we would rather direct you to a more appropriate selection than have you disappointed with your experience.

We wish we could have met or exceeded your expectations, but do feel that our high reputation ranking is well deserved and thank the majority of reviewers for their honest opinions of their experiences.

We look forward to continued success because of feedback like yours and others.

Mr. philosion, we wish you a peaceful and lovely Christmas time.

Best Regards
Avon, CT
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Stayed there in late November for business. Had driven in from elsewhere in Switzerland. The hotel is attached to the Westside mall/entertainment complex and parking is in the VAST underground garage. There is an entrance to that parking in front of the hotel doors, but it was closed the day I arrived.

I had leave the hotel area and drive around to the other side of the Westside complex to enter from that side. Signage was very confusing, so I wound up back on the highway (the Westside straddles it) and took a 15 minute loop to get back to the complex. Take a ticket at the entrance and follow the signs for the hotel's parking area (a limited amount of spots). You enter another gated area to park in the hotel's section.

A note on accessing the hotel, because, again, the signage was very unclear down there: if you stand with the entrance gate to the hotel's parking directly behind you....walk to the left towards the far wall to access the elevator to the hotel lobby.....just walk towards the wall to the left, when you get there, you will see an arrow saying "hotel"....I didn't see it, so I took the escalators in one of the mall entrances that I could see from the parking area. Long circuitous walk. parking was about $10

The lobby was busy when I arrived. With a bar crammed next to reception and a restaurant taking up the rest of the down stairs, there is not much "lobby". Again, feels like walking into a Holiday Inn Express.

Two small, busy elevators take you up the rooms. the rooms are "modern" (ie no frills, and lots of planes and angles). The workdesk is small, the clothes storage area kind of functional. The bathroom was Spartan, a shower stall, sink, and toilet. Functional and clean.

Overall the room was not inviting or terribly comfortable. Felt no frills, HI Express. Definitely overpriced at about $282. Free low speed access internet was available. As a Platinum member, I was pissed that I had to spend $17 for high speed service.

Ate dinner in the hotel as I ate late after the restaurants and shops in the mall were closed. Service was very friendly, very efficient, and the food was tasty. Dinner, a beer, a soup, and wiener schnitzel, was about $52. Par for the course in Switzerland.

Do take advantage of the free access to AquaPark Bern. You might have to rent a couple towels for a five Francs apiece at the Aquapark. I did not use the water park, just the Sauna area, which was great (note to American and UK tourists.....it is fully nude, no clothing allowed in the sauna area).

I was in that evening, out that morning, so I have no other comments on accessibility or the area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank biztrav123
Dear biztrav123,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Holiday Inn Bern Westside.
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our BernAqua followed by a tasty dinner in our Restaurant.
I’m truly sorry to hear you had a few issues with our parking section. This belongs to the Westside Complex and unfortunately we have only limited influence on the signages, but i will Forward your comment to the Center Management.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards

Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Bern-Westside in November. We did like the location of the Hotel as well as the easy access to transport i.e trams and train station.

The breakfast was great and the rooms were neat and clean. Our beds were also comfortable. Always a welcome site...

Our only hassle was the general 'noise' from house keeping and movement within the hotel. It made it impossible to get an afternoon nap, or early bed time in between business events. I'm not sure the hotel could improve on this problem as the walls are paper thin (could hear our neighbour's alarm in the mornings) and the floors are all wooden.

Other than that... good experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WMWatson
Martin M, Manager at Holiday Inn Bern-Westside, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear WMWatson,

Thank you for your August visit to Holiday Inn Bern Westside.

I appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your stay with us.

I was so pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your modern and neat room as well as the Food and beverage range we offer for breakfast.

Please be assured the noise issue has been reviewed with the department manager in order prevent reoccurences in the future.

Looking forward to welcome you back at the Holiday Inn Bern Westside.

Best Regards,

Zagreb, Croatia
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Since all hotels in Bern are quite expensive, this was actually quite a good value. It's a modern hotel located in Westside shopping centre.
The rooms are good, quite spacious, the only drawback is the glass doors on the bathroom - but this is modern design, so you have to live with it. Breakfast was good offering a wide selection of food. I arrived in Switzerland by car, so it was good to have parking in the garage below the hotel. By swiss standards the parking is quite cheap, 0.10CHF/hour for the first 10 hours and then it goes to 1CHF/hour. The rail and tram stations are just outside the hotel, in case you want to use the public transport.
When checking in, the staff told us that we get a free entry into BernAqua aqua park for each night we stay. This was really cool, since entry into BernAqua is quite expensive and it's really good.
The staff were also quite helpful, so overall, quite a pleasant experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank onlygod
Dear onlygod,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review from your most recent stay with us at Holiday Inn Bern Westside.

I was so pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your modern guestroom, and thank you for commending our staff, services and location.
I am glad to tell you that in 2014 your entry to BernAqua will be even longer than in 2013, because we will extend the entry up to 3h.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Best Regards to Zagreb

Penang
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed in Holiday Inn Bern-Westside in Sep 2013 for 2 nights. This hotel is out of town area but you can easily travel to town as the train station is just directly opposite the hotel (2 mins walks) and there is one big shopping mall beside this hotel.
The view from this hotel was superb. The room was large and free Wifi provided.
Breakfast was OK.
Cons: Some of the toiletries is upon request.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear alicegoh2000,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Bern Westside and for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I am delighted to read your appraisal of our spacious rooms an free WiFi. I know our housekeeping will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks regarding the toiletries.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards