“The best pizza in town”
Review of Da Gianni

Da Gianni
Ranked #71 of 732 Restaurants in Basel
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 8, 2010

Great italian restaurant, with a huge range of choice of any italian specialities. They serve the best pizza in the world. Prices are ok, service is also kind. When you plan t visit Basel, don't forget to try this magnificent restaurant. The whole service speak Italian as well. You can try some local bier and spend time in really great atmosphere. They serve the best rucola pizza I have ever eaten.

Reviewed August 17, 2010

It's easy to miss this restaurant: firstly because it's not quite where the map shows and secondly the name is rather confusing. The number 11 tram from the city centre drops you about 25m from the restaurant (stop: St Johanns-Tor). Across the street you'll see the Restaurant St. Johann which looks warm and welcoming. The good news is that this is also known as the Pizzeria Da Gianni - there's a smaller nameplate over the entrance.

My colleague and I enjoyed a glass of prosecco (CHF15) while we had the strange experience, as vegetarians, of having a wide range of choices. While I started with risotto porcini (CHF24.50) my colleague went for the rucola parmigiano (CHF11.50). Both were significant starters and half portions would have been fine. The porcini were plump, plentiful and perfectly cooked although the risotto was not as creamy as I am used to. For the main course we both had large ravioli: I had panzerotti burro (spinach and ricotta with sage and butter) (25.50) and my colleague had panzerotti zafferano - a garish saffron flavoured dish ((CHF26.50). Both were well cooked and generously proportioned.

The wine list is very good with a selection from several regions of Italy - we had a bottle of La Grola - from Veneto (CHF58). I finished with a panna cotta (CHF11.50) that was rather ostentatious in its presentation but served to finish the meal rather well.

The ground floor of the restaurant is divided into a rather elegant high-ceilinged room with a wall display of modern art and sculpture whereas the other part is set more in the style of a chalet with a pine ceiling, pizza oven and more low-key furniture.

Overall, we were thoroughly happy with the meal - it wasn't cheap but we ate well and were served impeccably. We'd happily eat there again (and again).

3  Thank Justin_Dillon
Reviewed May 3, 2010

The most authenric italian restaurant north of the alps !

Reviewed March 17, 2010

You can't go wrong with a pizza from Da Gianni - it's my favourite pizza restaurant in Basel and also has a great wine menu

1  Thank BaselEx_pat99
Reviewed November 29, 2009

This restaurant has a great atmosphere, full of people of all ages having a good time and people queueing to get a seat. The food is high quality, my German friends had fish, which was filleted at the table and they said the taste was perfect. I had a selection of pasta which was excellent. Service was friendly and prompt and overall this for me is one of the best restaurants in Basel.

1  Thank trangiepublic